Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Advice needed on buying Chevy Beat

Hello friends.

I am an old BHPian, posting my topic after a long time. I am planning to buy a new car. I had an Opel Astra earlier, but I sold it as it had multiple problems with the engine. I have a budget of 4.5 Lacs, and I test drove Beat, A-Star, and Alto K10. Here are my considerations, and any advice would be helpful.

Alto K10

Alto K10 was amazingly responsive. I really liked the engine performance, but still did not like the interiors some how. Most of my friends said that its a good car. But my wify, did not like it either.

A-Star

As soon as I got in, the car had amazing interiors. The car had decent quality plastic. But the Speedo was the only thing that I could see, there was no RPM meter. While testing the car, I found out that the engine becomes weak when the AC is turned on. The car's performance drops from "Amazing" to "Sluggish". So, I ruled it out. My wify said that this is a "Hello, I can't see anything outside" Car.

Beat

I had Chevy Spark in mind. My wify and me decided to test drive it, and thought that this is the last thing in our bucket. The moment I stepped into Orange Auto Hyderabad, there is this little monster who was looking at me with a grin on his face. I have seen a lot of Chevy Beat's on the pave, but never was interested in it. Thought, they are all the same, but I guess, I was wrong. This little monster, sitting right beside the Spark, was looking at me. This is the moment of love. I fell in love again with the beauty. I really loved the way it stood there with a message in its heart "Come, take me with you. I was waiting for you for a long time now". As you guys are aware, looks are not the only thing that a passionate driver would look. Hence I decided to go for a test drive.

But first, I spoke to the salesman, he was explaining all the features of the vehicle. I was peeping inside the car, and the salesman asked me to sit in the car and check it out. As soon as I sat, it was just like heaven. The speed and the rpm meter was futuristic, and amazing. I really loved the interiors. My wify as well loved the way the vehicle looked. At last two satisfied people. I was eagerly waiting for the test drive. At last, moment of truth arrived.

I sat in the car. My wife was sitting next to me, and the salesman in the rear seat. The AC was on, and as soon as I stepped on the throttle, the car just took off. This is what I was waiting for. I loved every bit of the car. It was just amazing. I have decided to go for it.

Here is the challenge. My wife and me, both of them like the vehicle, but we are still confused about the *** of Orange Hyderabad, and what should I ask for when I am buying a new car. All information on buying a new car is required. This is a the first time I am buying a new car.

Hope all you guys out there are going to help me with this.

Thanks and regards
Vijay Kumar
Old 18th November 2010, 13:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead with this car. It is amazing. I bought it for my wife a month ago. Took the top of the line version and I would suggest you also go in for the same, as the LS is a let down in terms of thrills, especially the knock down interiors.

The LTs interiors are amazing, as you must have felt, very fresh, very peppy engine, good highway stability, auto AC, USB, aux in, 60/40 split folding seat and on and on.

It will also ensure you get the looks. Trust me, I have seen people taking photos of the car, asking me about the interiros, sitting in it and even some asked me if I have modified the interiors of the car.

As far as service is concerned, I cannot comment on your location, but they are pretty good in Bangalore. Also, there is the 3 years cashless ownership offer on now. So, close you eyes and go in for it.
Old 18th November 2010, 13:31   #3
BANNED

I own a spark. I must say their 3 year zero maintainence package is really good. Total peace of mind. No troubles as of now even after a year.
Old 18th November 2010, 14:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have fell in love with the Beat then there is no question of turning back. Just go ahead as GM is coming back into groove with some amazing products and their service is also pretty good ( atleast whatever little experience that i have had)

However, comparitively my experience with Orange wasnt that good. They were a bit haughty in comparison to KUN. My experience with KUN was excellent since Aug till date when i bought my Cruze.

Please meet both dealers and see who gives you the best deal and more importantly the attitude towards the customer is appropriate, then decide and move forward.

if you need any help with KUN. Do let me know, would be glad to help you out.
Old 18th November 2010, 14:57   #5
BHPian

Thanks Dreamcatcher for the prompt reply.

As I mentioned earlier, I am a new in buying a brand new cars. I did a lot of research. I also want to know how to get freebies, and all those discounts and perks that you can demand for.

Thanks
Old 18th November 2010, 15:11   #6
BHPian

Thanks Mobike008. I have not visited KUN still, but planning to this saturday. thedreamcatcher suggested to go for a top end model, but I dont have that kinda budget, because its gonna cost more. Please check the attached quotation from Orange Auto (Banjara Hills) Hyderabad. And they were saying that I have to pay 9k more for the 3 year/45000 Km warranty. I did not understand why. Please suggest.

It may sound foolish, but how do you ask for freebies when you buy a new car, do we demand them, or the salesman offers.

Below mentioned is the quotation for Chevy Beat Metallic and Non-Metallic
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed on buying Chevy Beat-non-metallic-quote.jpg  

Advice needed on buying Chevy Beat-metallic-quote.jpg  

Old 19th November 2010, 12:09   #7
BHPian

Yes. Go for the Beat.

I feel it would be a good buy. You will find many happy Beat owners on this forum. Also, the 3 years service package seems to be worth the 9k cost.
auto-one is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 12:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

We all start some where Racing Heart.

Anyways, with respect to freebies, it is we who should always demand it. The shoroom guy will be the last person to ever give away something.

Freebies can range from (depending on the dealer and manufacturer) (Sometimes dealer freebies and sometimes by the company - in the case of the later, they will automatically give u the freebie) mudflaps, mats, sun films, speakers, body coloured door handles, fragrances, etc. You need to be demanding, but also aware of what others give and dont push it overboard.

Now, coming to the Beat, i would say dont expect anything, as the Beat and the Cruze are two cars for which nothing is given at all. But, you can try with your dealer.

Are you going in for the LS version then. You can try to negotiate for a good sound system from them (all in all, it should cost around 12-14k) - they may not give, but no harm in trying
thedreamcatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 13:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@Racingheart, allow me to give you some tips of negotiating with car dealers which i acquired over 6 NEW car purchases in less than 10 years

Important Rule

Always pit dealers against each other. Meaning, visit one dealer and take their BEST quote and go to 2nd dealer and tell him what all 1st dealer has offered. And, ask him how can he better his offer so you can tilt towards buying from his dealership. Sales guy will usually offer more than what other dealer offered. Similarly, visit 3rd dealer ( incase you have more than 2 dealerships) and repeat above

To cut a long story short depending on the demand of vehicle that you have choosen you can ask for following :

1. Free Insurance for 1st year ( Demand) sometimes, they give in

2. Mudflaps, Mats, Body Cover, Perfume ( This is mandatory to be given FREE)

3. Rs.10,000 Corporate discount ( if you work in any corporate). I squeeze usually Rs.15000 if Rs 10,000 is the industry norm. They waive off the handling charges usually. But, i make sure the Rs.15000 is waived from ex-showroom as all other charges get reduced appropriately.

4. Request for additional free Teflon coating ( they usually offer one coat) and underbody coating

5. Music System

Above is the minimum that you should be getting. You can subtlly hint that your considering i10/Ritz/Polo etc and will be finalizing it soon ( this will mount the pressure on sales guy to give you what you requested)

Hope some of above tips help you in getting a better deal for your BEAT

Btw, which color have you decided?

Last edited by Zappo : 25th November 2010 at 01:45.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 15:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on finalizing the car! If I may, I will add some words of experience to you, though you are already experienced in the world of cars.

Are you planning to travel with your parents/relatives/friends frequently? If so, and if the back seat is going to be used quite regularly, please check the rear seat comfort and whether you are ok with the light. As pointed out in the review here, it is quite dark back there, and my mom didn't approve it even though I liked it.

If you are mostly going to travel two up only, then go ahead!
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingHart View Post

there is this little monster who was looking at me with a grin on his face. I have seen a lot of Chevy Beat's on the pave, but never was interested in it. Thought, they are all the same, but I guess, I was wrong. This little monster, sitting right beside the Spark, was looking at me. This is the moment of love. I fell in love again with the beauty. I really loved the way it stood there with a message in its heart "Come, take me with you. I was waiting for you for a long time now".
That was exactly what I felt when i stepped into Thriive cars Hosur on the 25th of June. I walked out booking the car!
Beat is one amazing vehicle you cannot go wrong with. After 5 months and 6k km, i can tell you I would not have been as much satisfied with any other car.

Happy miles ahead!
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2010, 22:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Chevy small cars are as good as the competition out there. Beat is a love it or hate it affair. Looks like you really like it and I don't see any reason why you should even have doubts in your mind then. Just go for it and the only thing you will spend for 3 years after buying your car is for fuel and let me tell you its a pretty awesome feeling when you walk away from the service station without paying a single paisa for anything.
Old 25th November 2010, 00:02   #13
BANNED

racinghart please dont mistake me.my friends has a beat but some how i felt that getting used to its driver seating will take some time.

also the front over hang is too long and you might hit and damage it during parking (perpendicular to platform) ,these were the only thing i felt was little difficult for drivers

i am just giving you a caution since you are a first time buyer.

Other wise the beat is a superb car with good features like digital speedo,auto AC ect..

All the best for your purchase
Old 1st December 2010, 13:35   #14
BHPian

Hi Racing Heart,
Amongst the choices that you have in mind,Checy Beat has to be the front runner.
As mentioned by some of our other BHPians,Chevy is putting in a lot of effort to improve their standing in the Indian Auto scene.
Their 3 year free ownership package is a real deal when it comes to buying any hatch(read Spark,Beat,UVA)

I'd stay that you bargain hard,get the best deal.

Good Luck!
Old 1st December 2010, 17:14   #15
BHPian

Racing heart u dont regret buying the beauty be it performance or be it the beauty inside and out..I am a happy Beat owner and i still luv the attention ppl give to my car..Way to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks