Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:38   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon TDCi versus Figo

Hi friends,

Im in search for my second car, this time its for Diesel, narrowed down to Figo LXi.
My question is - as there is no much price difference between Figo TDCI and Icon TDCI (hardly 30k). what should be stopping me from buying Ikon tdci. any advice would be helpful.

Ikon:
- Sedan
- Old styled in here for more than 10 years, but the new facelift is not that bad
- Good boot space
- Proven and tested Engine
- No inbuilt Audio
- 4 door Power window
- Fog lamp

Figo
- Hatchback
- Small but big but not as spacious as Ikon
- Ibuilt bluetooth HU
- Proven and tested Engine
- No power window in the rear
- No fog lamp

Ford is offering Ikon for 5.64 on-road without extentended warranty. Im really confused here, please help me finalizing the car.
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:05   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is going to be a really simple one for you. Simple because you cannot register the Ikon TDCi in Bangalore. The car hasn't been updated to meet BSIV emission norms : Related Thread

And if a dealer is still offering you an Ikon TDCi in Bangalore, it's old BSIII stock that's best avoided.
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another way of looking at it is - do you need a sedan ?

You mentioned that this is your second car. If your first car is a sedan, then a hatch would suffice as the second car. Otherwise better to go for a sedan (but not Ikon because it is not upgraded to BS4).

Do you have sufficient parking space if you buy a sedan as a second car ?

I would suggest that you jot down your requirements and decide accordingly. Don't get lured by what else is available in similar price range.

Rohan
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

@quakerme, this should really not be tough for you to decide as GTO mentioned. Go for figo as it's a new car with a proven engine. Moreover, it has quite a few features that you would like to have it in your new car. Though I own a Petrol Ikon, but if I had the choice of choosing between a Ikon and a Figo , I would have sureshot opted for Figo.More so, when Ikon has not been upgraded to meet the BSIV norms.
The rear power window is rarely used, if it's generally going to be you alone in the car or may be two of you.
Go for Figo, I would say.
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
And if a dealer is still offering you an Ikon TDCi in Bangalore, it's old BSIII stock that's best avoided.
Thanks GTO, was planning to buy from Kerala to avoid the extra tax here.
Thanks rohan_iitr that was a good suggestion.
My first car is an i10 so thats why i was having a slight inclination towards a sedan
thanks @Fordmanchau ...Im not sure whether BSIII is a big issue.my silly point of view is many BSIII are still on road and they will be there for the next 5-10 years
Old 24th November 2010, 05:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quakerme, since you already have an i10, the Ikon TDCi may be suited for you in this case. The 400 litre boot does swallow quite some amount of luggage, as i have discovered.

However, the Figo is a newer vehicle and you would certainly appreciate some of the new car features which it comes with, which are not available on the Ikon. I would assume the Figo would also hold onto its value better in the long term. The Ikon is a solid vehicle and build quality is quite good, however the Figo is reported to have rattling issues as mentioned by some of the members.

You would need to decide your exact requirments before taking a final call.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:53   #7
BHPian

Spoke to the local Ford dealer in Kerala they said by adding a component they can convert the BSIII engine to BSiV, he was not sure about the component to be added . any idea what it is? or is it same as "Sir in highway's some of our customers get 24-30 kmpl "
Old 24th November 2010, 10:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerme View Post
My first car is an i10 so thats why i was having a slight inclination towards a sedan
thanks @Fordmanchau ...Im not sure whether BSIII is a big issue.my silly point of view is many BSIII are still on road and they will be there for the next 5-10 years
if you have a hatch before than surely it makes sense to go for a sedan, but then foldable rear seats of the figo will give you that flexibility of dumping the luggage in the car.Probably, you can decide depending on how big is your family and how many people will occupy the car at one time during journey, which will necessitate the need for a extra boot.
BSIII is certainly not a big issue, but when you have modern and better car available and if it is for long term then may be you should look at it.

Quote:
or is it same as "Sir in highway's some of our customers get 24-30 kmpl "
20-21 kmpl for a diesel if driven well is not a big issue at all on the highway. It is more a factor of how you drive, might as well can be higher.
Old 24th November 2010, 18:26   #9
BHPian

any inputs about converting BSIII engine to BSIV? anyone done that?
Old 24th November 2010, 22:24   #10
BHPian

I had owned Ford Ikon TDCI for a year before selling.

The major issue faced was:

1. Vibration in clutch and gear lever, really annoying especially in city traffic.
2. Engine noise audible in the cabin especially at low RPM and after cold start. Sometime feels engine is not so refined.
3. Not so good gear shifting

Good things:
1. Excellent acceleration beyond 1800 RPM
2. Minimal engine noise once engine warms up and during highway driving
3. Excellent handling
4. Fuel efficient

I had confusion between ford fusion and ford ikon. The issue mentioned above was obvious when I test driven ford ikon TDCI and these issues were not present in fusion (I believe these issues shall not be there in Figo). I decided on Ikon due to the price but had to sell since cannot withstand the issues.
Old 24th November 2010, 22:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
any inputs about converting BSIII engine to BSIV? anyone done that?
No, have not heard of any one doing it. But why would you want to convert from BS-III to BS-IV ? The RTO will not recognize it .. since the change (even if possible) is not made during manufacturing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanks View Post
The major issue faced was:

1. Vibration in clutch and gear lever, really annoying especially in city traffic.
2. Engine noise audible in the cabin especially at low RPM and after cold start. Sometime feels engine is not so refined.
3. Not so good gear shifting
Have not seen any of these problems. Hope you did try to get it resolved by trying atleast one more A.S.S before you sold it. Engine has always been smooth, and noise is not high. Very minor vibration of gear lever & clutch pedal

Last edited by condor : 24th November 2010 at 22:39.
Old 24th November 2010, 23:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread.

Not sure which model of Figo you are comparing with the Ikon; Figo is a more secure car in terms of what it comes with; ABS/Airbag.

And if it was me, I wont buy a Ikon now coz I think they MIGHT bring in the new Fiesta soon and price it a vee higher than the current Fiesta thereby making the current Ikon too old and obsolete ?

Wait till 2011 IMHO.
Old 24th November 2010, 23:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to the local Ford dealer in Kerala they said by adding a component they can convert the BSIII engine to BSiV, he was not sure about the component to be added . any idea what it is? or is it same as "Sir in highway's some of our customers get 24-30 kmpl "
Don't be surprised if they put a BSIV sticker on to the car and claim, 'Sir, component added; It's BSIV compliant now!"

Phew..what all things we have to listen?!

If you are tempted by a sedan, then the Fiesta TDCi Limited Edition is good VFM if you are looking at spending a little over 7L. But then it doesn't have fog lamps either
Old 24th November 2010, 23:47   #14
BANNED

my suggestion is go for FIGO,but if you want more luggage space go for ikon.

ikon TDCi engine will not be as smooth as figo ,ikon was not provided with proper insulation from Noise and vibration to cut cost. it may look too basic if you step in from four i10 or figo.

End of the day it your decision buddy
Old 25th November 2010, 00:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

How about he Registers icon from smaller cities in Karnataka and use it in Bangalore. Certainly Traffic police wont mind as long as he is using karnataka registration in bangalore. Then who will check he is driving BS3 in Bangalore?

If you use KL registered vehicle, traffic police will keep harassing when ever they find.

Last edited by shamanth : 25th November 2010 at 00:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks