Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Poor Experience and Alpine 9887 stolen at Carnation Chandigarh

Well my bad days started on 3rd of August when i met with an accident in my car. After travelling up and down the length of the country, it was ironical that this accident happened just 500 meters from my home.
Poor Experience and Alpine 9887 stolen at Carnation Chandigarh-img_20110803_133508.jpg
Anyways, the damage had been done and i decided to transport the car to chandigarh for repair work. I had experienced the service of both Prestige and Harmony Honda and wanted to try a new place. Hence logic pointed towards Carnation Chandigarh. They boast of using new techniques and processes for body repair and i had had a pleasant experience with them before during regular service.

Calls were made, crane was brought in and the car was transported. I thought my misery was over... oh how wrong was i. Firstly, they were unable to find replacement parts(understandable since OHC VTEC is around 10 years old now) and took nearly 4 weeks to arrange the same. I co-operated with them and even made a down payment of 25K for parts procurement. Once the bodywork was done, it came to paint.

On day one i had specifically told them that my car had a custome paintjob of alpine white with clear coat finish. i was assured that they would match the paint but would just use azko noble rathe than what i had used(standox).
My baby just after it came out in from the paint-booth last DecemberPoor Experience and Alpine 9887 stolen at Carnation Chandigarh-dsc_0677.jpg
well further about total of 6 weeks down the line they show me my car in a normal paint finish without clear coat. I am assured that i will not be able to distinguish. I reason with them stating that what would happen a couple of years down the line. Finally they phone me again and ask for standox paint. i drive down again to buy and supply them paint. by now i have made 5 trips to the workshop and 8 weeks have passed.

Now when i had given them the car, i had told them to service it as well and replace any parts which needed replacement. A week before diwali, I drive down again and find that the car has not yet been serviced. My K&N conical filter has been deformed, exhaust welding is broken. Further i am told that the rear disks need replacement and have to be ordered. Further the paperwork with the Insurer (Iffko Tokio) is not yet finished and i cannot take the car.

I, with much resentment agree to take delay delivery after diwali. i however point out that i cannot see my stereo in the car(which was taken out when the dash was removed for fixing the car). i spend the whole day there and am unable to find the stereo. Now i was assured that it would be found but i was skeptical because i knew the HU was an Alpine 9887.
Poor Experience and Alpine 9887 stolen at Carnation Chandigarh-img_20111022_165249.jpg
Poor Experience and Alpine 9887 stolen at Carnation Chandigarh-img_20111022_165306.jpg
Diwali comes and goes and i finally arrive on the 3rd of November to take delivery. Insurance clearance is approved, rear disks have been fitted, everything is ready but the 9887 is nowhere to be found. First they try and put it on me by saying that i had taken it when i had brought the car to them in August. I firmly point out that i had requested to take the stereo with me but i was assured that nothing would happen as many cars come there daily with expensive audio systems. Then they say that my friend had taken it. I again point out that no-one except me had ever come to them during the 3 months.

Now they say Sir, you can take the car to which i say a firm No. The workshop incharge agrees to all of my statements and agrees that i should not take delivery or else this matter would not be resolved with the required haste. I had by this time also decided to get an audio upgrade(another irony) and had even booked an appointment with motor concept(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...den-delhi.html) in Delhi. With a saddened heart, i step backwards and head home.

I have been in regular contact with Carnation Chandigarh regarding this and they have been trying to procure a new unit from the market. However, it has been unfruitful. I would like to get some suggestions on how to tackle this situation. I have already contacted Aman from motor concept delhi and he did not seem hopeful. I am also trying to get in touch with Alpine India. I would request any audiophile/ICE guru/audio enthusiast/regular Bhpian to help me get my hands on a new Alpine 9887 since they have agreed to pay for it. Can this HU be ordered? If all else fails, can someone recommend a HU which is at par with the 9887 in terms of features because i will make them buy that unit istead then. Help needed Bhpians...

Last edited by R.I.P : 10th November 2011 at 20:54.
Old 10th November 2011, 21:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Poor Experience and Alpine 9887 stolen at Carnation Chandigarh

Thread moved here from Assembly line section. Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 10th November 2011, 22:12   #3
BHPian

You could, of course, order from ebay.com.
Normally I purchase only through ebay.in or ebay Global Easybuy, but this exact model is not available from these sites.

Check this link.
It will cost you approx $500 delivered.
Old 10th November 2011, 22:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
You could, of course, order from ebay.com.
Normally I purchase only through ebay.in or ebay Global Easybuy, but this exact model is not available from these sites.

Check this link.
It will cost you approx $500 delivered.
Yup thats the first thing i did when i knew i cannot find it. Unfortunately its not available either in ebay.in or through global easy buy. How reliable would it be buying this through paypal/other means?
Old 10th November 2011, 22:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P View Post
Yup thats the first thing i did when i knew i cannot find it. Unfortunately its not available either in ebay.in or through global easy buy. How reliable would it be buying this through paypal/other means?
Well, usually they pack and deliver it satisfactorily. The PITA starts when you interact with Indian Customs. If the seller can include a letter saying that it's a gift, you won't have to pay any customs. He should NOT include the bill in the package, rather send it separately or email it.
But expect delays with customs people.

EDIT: Found an Indian site which has it: http://www.vicky.in/shopping/car-aud...-unit-cda-9887
Rs. 23,590/-

Last edited by EagleEye : 10th November 2011 at 22:46.
Old 10th November 2011, 22:56   #6
BHPian

I've ordered a couple using Ebay International and it's always been fine. There's certainly no risk involved. Only thing is, it can take some time so as long as you're ok with that, go ahead.
Old 10th November 2011, 23:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Hmmmmm
well i have'nt heard of this site before but i'll surely give them a call tomorrow. Thanks man.
Old 10th November 2011, 23:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

R.I.P sad to hear about your experience with Carnation. You can ask them to get you Alpine CDA-117 which retails around 19-20k in India with B/W.
Old 10th November 2011, 23:04   #9
BHPian

Actually the issue is that i would not be buying the HU. I'll make carnation chandigarh buy it for me. I'll talk to them tomorrow and see where they stand on buying it through online stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
R.I.P sad to hear about your experience with Carnation. You can ask them to get you Alpine CDA-117 which retails around 19-20k in India with B/W.
But is it the same as a 9887? i have not really heard anyone rate the two at the same level. Availability of 117 is also questionable as far as i have heard.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th November 2011 at 10:24. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 10th November 2011, 23:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But is it the same as a 9887? i have not really heard anyone rate the two at the same level. Availability of 117 is also questionable as far as i have heard.
In terms of SQ its actually slightly better. 117 is a replacement for 9887 and plays USB PenDrives, iPod, CDs etc. The only missing feature is that 117 is not Active Capable.
Old 10th November 2011, 23:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of SQ its actually slightly better. 117 is a replacement for 9887 and plays USB PenDrives, iPod, CDs etc. The only missing feature is that 117 is not Active Capable.
well i have heard about "active" capability but am unsure about the technicalities, can you explain the difference(don't mind my ignorance).
Old 10th November 2011, 23:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well i have heard about "active" capability but am unsure about the technicalities, can you explain the difference(don't mind my ignorance).
With 9887 you can run the component speakers without supplied crossovers. You can set the frequencies / slopes to each driver individually (Subwoofer, Mid-woofer, tweeter). With 117 you have to use crossovers that came with the component speakers.

I doubt you will be need Active capability in the HU. If you like the Sound quality of 9887 then 117 is the closest you can get here in India with B/W.

P.S. Whats all equipment you have in your car ?
Old 10th November 2011, 23:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
With 9887 you can run the component speakers without supplied crossovers. You can set the frequencies / slopes to each driver individually (Subwoofer, Mid-woofer, tweeter). With 117 you have to use crossovers that came with the component speakers.

I doubt you will be need Active capability in the HU. If you like the Sound quality of 9887 then 117 is the closest you can get here in India with B/W.

P.S. Whats all equipment you have in your car ?
hmmmm any other brand comparable?
i have DLS classic 6X9 coaxials at the back and was planning to put morel tempo 6 components in the front. i had finaly saved some dough to get wiring, damping and a decent amp for the job but alas...
Old 11th November 2011, 01:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmmmm any other brand comparable?
i have DLS classic 6X9 coaxials at the back and was planning to put morel tempo 6 components in the front. i had finaly saved some dough to get wiring, damping and a decent amp for the job but alas...
Well there is Pioneer P80 (which is Active capable) but it only play CD's out of the box. You will need to purchase a USB adapter & ipod adapter if you want to use Pen Drives and iPod.

Also if you like 9887 SQ then stick to 117 as P80 sound signature is different compared to Alpine 117 / 9887.
Old 11th November 2011, 10:21   #15
BHPian

Well i had a chat with the DGM of Spreme Hi-Fidelity Mr. Vivek natarajan, the local distributor of Alpine (Contact Alpine - Local Distributor - India) and according to him 9887 would be very very difficult to source. He has however suggested 117, 511 and 105 in that order. Any suggestions about them.

according to him 117 in the market is running software version 1.2 but the latest models which would be coming out in few weeks would have version 1.4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks