Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 16:45   #1
BHPian

Kairali Ford - Rs.25,000 for an Ikon Wiring Harness?

I serviced my 2001 Ford Ikon Zxi (1.6) at Kairali Ford Kottayam on Dec 5, 2011. The service advisor was polite and since there was practically nothing wrong with the car, the process was smooth.

As part of my inspection, before handing over the car to the SA, I noticed that the plastic sheath on the engine wiring harness had become brittle and broken off in bits, exposing the wires inside (not bare wires though). I asked the service advisor to have the harness wrapped in electrical tape (not sure this is the best method but I didn't have any alternative, since the plastic sheath was not available as a part.)

Then, I casually asked the SA what would be the cost if I replaced the entire wiring harness and he said Rs.25,000 (with some sensor attached to it) but the part had to be ordered. I was shocked. A 2 feet piece of wire with a couple of connectors for Rs.25,000???

Anyway I have written to Ford, trying to verify whether this is indeed the cost of the part, or the dealer is trying to add a huge markup.

Have any T-BHPians owning Fords replaced this wiring harness, and if so, did you get a similar price from the dealer?
Any feedback from other T-BHPians are welcome, because if it is indeed Rs.25,000/-, I shudder at Ford's pricing policies.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Kairali Ford - Rs.25,000 for an Ikon Wiring Harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
I serviced my 2001 Ford Ikon Zxi (1.6) at Kairali Ford Kottayam on Dec 5, 2011. The service advisor was polite and since there was practically nothing wrong with the car, the process was smooth.

As part of my inspection, before handing over the car to the SA, I noticed that the plastic sheath on the engine wiring harness had become brittle and broken off in bits, exposing the wires inside (not bare wires though). I asked the service advisor to have the harness wrapped in electrical tape (not sure this is the best method but I didn't have any alternative, since the plastic sheath was not available as a part.)

Then, I casually asked the SA what would be the cost if I replaced the entire wiring harness and he said Rs.25,000 (with some sensor attached to it) but the part had to be ordered. I was shocked. A 2 feet piece of wire with a couple of connectors for Rs.25,000???

Anyway I have written to Ford, trying to verify whether this is indeed the cost of the part, or the dealer is trying to add a huge markup.

Have any T-BHPians owning Fords replaced this wiring harness, and if so, did you get a similar price from the dealer?
Any feedback from other T-BHPians are welcome, because if it is indeed Rs.25,000/-, I shudder at Ford's pricing policies.

The wiring sheath is available here in indirapuram , delhi , i could check the prices if you need. Cant cost more than 800 rupees at the max. the cost of 25k for original wiring harness is correct. As long as the wires are not cracked or burnt it is not required. Will update the prices this weekend.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think had they also changed that and given you the bill you would have done a "Kathakali" at Kairali Ford, lucky you. That would be a quarter of the residual value of car itself, OMG!
Old 5th December 2011, 23:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

By "entire wiring harness" the SA would have understood you meant the "entire wiring harness" and not just the 2 feet piece of wire that you probably meant.

And if one were to replace the entire wiring harness, I am sure it would cost quite a bit.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Does that include the ECU as well then ? He must have meant the O2 sensor.
Old 6th December 2011, 00:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sure it would be the cost of the ENTIRE wiring. I'll confirm in a day or so.
Old 6th December 2011, 03:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

Well, I am not really surprised. At times, they can really come up with some shock pricing for repair works.

Last year, our Ikon 1.6 refused to start up (the first major issue in 7 years). It was diagnosed as PCM failure, and the replacement was mentioned to cost around 30-35K. I called up a senior person in the dealership (who used to be sales rep. when we did the purchase in 2003), and casually mentioned that I was about to sell the car off and get another car from them during my next visit to Kerala – which was actually my plan. Couple of days later, the price quoted was revised, and the repair work was done for around 12K!

Since yours is a 2001 model, maybe you can try something similar. Strange ways, but that’s how they function
Old 6th December 2011, 07:29   #8
BHPian

@catalyst_delhi - Thanks for the info. As I reside in Bangalore, would you know if I could the same anywhere here? (just taking a chance :-) )

@pjbiju - yes its the entire wiring harness with the sensor(s) and connectors. Still I find Rs.25K just way too much for what the part really is.
@esteem_lover - the ECU is not included . What the SA told me is its only the wiring harness. Anyway, Kairali doesnt even have the part and they were a bit reluctant to order (telling me this outright) as they want to be sure the part moves after ordering it.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th December 2011 at 11:20. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the edit button if replying within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 6th December 2011, 07:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
@catalyst_delhi - Thanks for the info. As I reside in Bangalore, would you know if I could the same anywhere here? (just taking a chance :-) )
Not so sure about Bangalore but you can try the neighbour hood shop for motor parts , here in indirapuram there are many shops exclusive for ikons. Otherwise go to a CNG / LPG installer , they have wiring sheaths and harness that they use for their installation. Pay them what seems right if they have the part. When you are at it spray WD40 inside the connectors too.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed that the plastic sheath on the engine wiring harness had become brittle and broken off in bits, exposing the wires inside (not bare wires though). I asked the service advisor to have the harness wrapped in electrical tape (not sure this is the best method but I didn't have any alternative, since the plastic sheath was not available as a part.)
..I shudder at Ford's pricing policies.
As a former owner of a well maintained 2001 Ikon 1.8D, I understand your shock. Ford (or 'Fraud' as my son quite unkindly remarked) was and still is notoriously insensitive of its customers who were seen as its 'Cash Cows'. My car had very many glitches, with parts failing at very frequent intervals. In short Ford had a severe Quality problem. When the front end started to do the dance 'Shake' without the music, I sold it. Took a Sx4 and went back to get a Fiesta SxI TDCI. Got rid of the Fiesta when it started to belch thick smoke at 70K kms. Have the Sx4 and a Figo which is OK now as I get it serviced independently. Latest addition is a Vento TDi Highline which is reliable.

The residual value of a Ford is negligible as the company kills its value by coming out with a stripped down version when a new model is introduced. Perhaps you should go DIY and just put in new plastic sleeves and shrink fit with a Heat Gun. Should do the job as it is unwise to waste money on their overpriced Ford's factory parts which anyway are rarely available in stock.
Old 6th December 2011, 17:08   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Most manufacturers have moved on to biodegradable wiring harnesses now. While they are more environment friendly, they also wear out much quicker.

After 10 years, most parts of your wiring harness will be in bad shape. I wouldn't disagree with the service advisor even if he recommended changing the entire harness of the car.

Of course, 25K is daylight robbery. I'm sure you can source the kit for 1/2 that (or less) in the after-market.
Old 6th December 2011, 17:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

It could probably be the cost for the entire wiring kit for Ikon, front lights to tail lamps all inclusive which itself appears exorbitant.
Such a replacement may not be required at all for your ride. Ensure that you aren't taken for a ride.

Quote:
I understand your shock. Ford (or 'Fraud' as my son quite unkindly remarked) was and still is notoriously insensitive of its customers who were seen as its 'Cash Cows'.
That is fantastic.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th December 2011 at 17:54.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While they are more environment friendly, they also wear out much quicker.After 10 years, most parts of your wiring harness will be in bad shape.
Ha! So these guys create more pollution in creating a new wiring harness & trying to dispose of the old one. A bright green initiative to increase the Global GNP & Carbon footprint / car
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 17:27   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Such ghastly spare costs are sure to drive away many customers from the FORD showrooms. It should go in more localization and also make spares readily available.

OT: The FORD showroom in my city has gained a notorious reputation,all because of company's fault.

My dad was recently talking to the showroom's owner(he is a friend). The owner states that a customer books a white car, waits for a month. The company sends him a black car at the end of 2 months.
There has been several similar cases.
Talk about customer satisfaction,anyone???
Old 8th December 2011, 15:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Talk about customer satisfaction,anyone???
Customer Satisfaction? What is that?

Q. What is a Customer?
A. A piece of prized meat to be fought over by all the stray dogs (read as Car dealers). The winner takes all - the Customer is carried off the moment the order is placed and the advance paid. He then becomes a 'leg of a lamb' to be chewed slowly and relished till the last juicy bone is cracked and savored. Customer satisfaction! (With apologies to the Veggies)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks