Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:38   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rishabh Hyundai sold a Test Drive vehicle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I have a query to all BHPians. In whose name is the test drive vehicle registered?
The vehicle is registered in the name of the dealer, yes.

But usually TD vehicles are billed from manufacturers for dealers.

And because it isn't registered and just billed, dealers tend to pass it on to unsuspecting customers.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The vehicle is registered in the name of the dealer, yes.

But usually TD vehicles are billed from manufacturers for dealers.

And because it isn't registered and just billed, dealers tend to pass it on to unsuspecting customers.
Please correct me if I am wrong: Red (temp) registration plate number for vehicle sin transit from factory to dealer. White (temp) plate for the first buyer. He need to get the permanent registration within a month of purchase.

Isn't driving a unregistered vehicle illegal? How can someone have a TD vehicle unregistered? What happens to insurance? (I usually see a lot of abuses to a TD car). What happens if a TD vehicle meet with an accident (even fatal)?
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't driving a unregistered vehicle illegal? How can someone have a TD vehicle unregistered? What happens to insurance? (I usually see a lot of abuses to a TD car). What happens if a TD vehicle meet with an accident (even fatal)?
Driver (in this case customer) has to bear full cost of the vehicle. In most cases, customer has to buy the TD vehicle and get it repaired at his/her own cost.

Example :
Quote:
But, the dealer shoves a paper and asks me to sign on it. The paper reads something to the effect of "I'm responsible for the mishap. I understand that the entire value of the car isn't provided by insurance" (which my lawyer says is BS if the dealer did the right things before making this a demo car) "Hereby I provide cheque dt blah number blah which is a blank cheque as a security instrument to the dealer. Upon failure to pay the difference amount between car value and insurance amount, I authorize the dealer to use this cheque to take action against me". Forget the letter, its a piece of regular paper. I was feeling iffy about providing a blank cheque - whatever the situation may be. But the dealer wasn't just shoving the paper. He was using force - about 15 guys touching me, pushing me and threatening to beat me up and all that. I'm only myself, my 60 year old father and my wife at the scene (police station).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...up-driver.html
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Driver (in this case customer) has to bear full cost of the vehicle. In most cases, customer has to buy the TD vehicle and get it repaired at his/her own cost.

Example :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...up-driver.html
This, in my opinion, is not the correct example to quote.

I checked with Pasco (for Maruti) in Gurgaon once before a test drive, about my fate in case the car meet with an accident while testing it. The SA politely told me that the car just came back from the workshop as it met with an accident a few day ago. He told me that the car is insured and it is claimed in case of any major accident and added that the premium might be higher for such vehicle (was not sure).
I checked this again with Ford SA before TD and got the similar response.

I suggest we check the TD vehicle's credentials too before taking it for a drive.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 22nd August 2012 at 11:41.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This, in my opinion, is not the correct example to quote.
Why do you think so? This was a TD vehicle and customer had to bear the cost.

Quote:
I checked with Pasco (for Maruti) in Gurgaon once before the test drive the my fate in case the car meet with an accident while testing it.
It depends on "Insurability".

If vehicle can be ensured (E.g. if TD Vehicle is registered), usually customer has to pay only the difference between actuals vs. amount paid by Insurance. That would be the case for Metros and common vehicle configurations (High volume configurations).

If vehicle configuration is not High-Volume, dealer would not spend on getting a proper TD vehicle, and it cant be insured.

*This seems to be off-topic so requesting mods to potentially split these posts in a new thread.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:18   #21
BHPian

I don't think that car was a proper TD car! The dealer might not have got a proper TD car (Sonata) and it might be their policy to offer regular cars for TD's and sell them asap.

I understand that you were not present and your dad was unable to smell anything wrong. Its the dealer's fault and they took you for a ride keeping aside the trust and ethics.

If you like the car and see no alternative, I would suggest to get the car replaced from them and this time carry a proper PDI & VIN checks. At later stage, Get the servicing done from elsewhere.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 22nd August 2012 at 12:21.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:49   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuri View Post
V.I.N. - MALEC41DMCM010255
Engine No. - G4KJC4708624
Delivery date: 18-July-2012
MAKE : HYUNDAI
MODEL : SONATA
ENGINE : 2400 CC
ENGINE NO: G4KJCU708624
PRODUCTION DATE : 30.05.2012

Once bitten, twice shy. Take your call.
wildon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

2 options - get a 3-5Lac refund Cheque (hey, how much would a test drive car of this segment be used/called for by customers?), else get a new car ASAP - which may be a issue of the RC book and all formalities are in your name already!

TD or new -- the warranty still holds, right?, and since a part of blame is on yourself, live with it but get compensated for the 'hand in jar' act of the con dealer!

EDIT ---

Hey, I just re-read the opening post - if the dealer is ready to REPLACE with a NEW car what more do you want? Eye for an Eye? not happening just stop posting on Tbhp and Run and get a new car ASAP - Ps, I hope going public here doesnt retract their offer!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 22nd August 2012 at 13:03.
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:09   #24
BHPian

Everyone here needs to stop the "Blame yourself for trusting the dealer and live with it" comments.

It is unethical on the part of the dealer to sell a TD car or misrepresent information to customers. There is no way this crime can be marginalized. The responsibility and accountability lies with the dealer alone to ensure a legal deal.

Tolerating a crime by others is also a crime. Fraudsters cannot be let off the hook on the excuse of gullibility of the victims. Justice can neither be diluted, delayed nor denied.

@mpuri: Pursue legal options. If the dealer is offering to compensate you, that is because it is the easiest way out for them. IMO, you deserve full refund + compensation for their fraudulent act. Legally, HMIL is as much liable in this as is Rishabh Hyundai for failing to ensure fair practice by their dealer on their behalf as per Indian Law.

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 22nd August 2012 at 13:35.
SedatedDrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:14   #25
BHPian

If I were you I would take full refund (with interest, if the dealer is offering), wait for the new camry, TD it and then make a decision. If I still like the sonata I would buy it from some other dealer.
Or if you have time you can pursue legal action asking for compensation + full refund.
Good luck
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:36   #26
lsp
BHPian

While I agree that it is unethical of the dealer to sell off a test drive car as a new one to you, I believe sir, you are also at fault.

Not just for not doing the PDI when the delivery was made but much before when you test drove the car. Did it not occur to you that it wasn't a test drive vehicle (with all the stickers et al) and hence it would be sold to some unsuspecting buyer as a new car? In your case the unsuspecting buyer turned out to be yourself.

Whether you take the solution offered by Hyundai or not is upto you, but there is no guarantee that some prospective customer would not have had a test drive on the new car.

Until the customers continue taking test drives on new unregistered/Temp-registered vehicles the menace would contiue.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but - What you sow is what you reap!!
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm sorry if I sound blunt here, but you can't blame anyone but yourself!

Team-BHP has always advocated the practice of undertaking PDIs. You will often find several threads with this mentioned.

Being a BHPian, I'm a little surprised that you didn't take these seemingly mundane yet crucial steps. We as a community are known to be more knowledgeable and aware of such things.
Hi Mohnish, extremely sorry to hear the incident, but I think you have done a few mistakes here :
1. Test driving an unregistered vehicle. It never occured to you that the same vehicle could be sold off by the dealer to some person. In this case the dealer has sold off the same vehicle to you.
2. You should have obtained and decoded the VIN.
3. It is absolutely necessary to do a through PDI before agreeing for the registration of the vehicle in your name. In case you had done the PDI then these facts should have been clear to you before delivery. In case of your foreign tour the delivery could have been delayed till your return, it was only a matter of some 15 days.

I am also surprised to learn that after successfully pairing your phone with the vehicle you let it go like that without deleting the phonebook from the memory. Also when your parents took delivery of the car did they not notice the odometer had some 140/150 Km on it, which is unusual in a brand new car.

I don't think you have much option other than agreeing for a new vehicle, which the dealer is already offering. I have serious doubt that the dealer will agree to refund the full amount. In case he agrees, there is nothing like it, take the refund and close the chapter. But in case the dealer refuses to refund the full amount, then the only other option is to approach a consumer court for breach of trust and hope for a favourable verdict.

Hope the case is settled soon and best of luck.

Last edited by Sommos : 22nd August 2012 at 17:21.
Old 23rd August 2012, 01:53   #28
BHPian

Monish, sad to hear about the incident, one of the worst to happen in a car owners life.

There is no point in accepting a replacement car since the dealer has committed such a fraudulent act towards whom they should respect the most- The customer.
They made fun of a loyal customer like you and can do the same to anyone else. Selling a test drive car is such a cheap act that must not be tolerated at any cause.

All you should do is to put two options in front of the dealer. Refund the entire money without leaving a single penny or get ready to face legal action. If possible, visit the zonal office of HMIL and directly lodge a complaint. It should be a good lesson for all the dealers who wish to screw their customers, destructing all the social values and ethics.
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sad! This is one thing I get disappointed when buying a car. We BHPians might be aware of the fraudulent practices by the dealers, but imagine the aam aadmi who does not get to know much on such intricacies. We as a team, could find out and forward a fool proof suggestion to the govt. to end such practices. May be it is topic for another thread.

I have been offered test drives of fresh vehicles unloaded from the transporting truck! I agree that there has to be some adjustments when people cancel their booking. But the customer is entitled to be known the history of the car he is to own. A car should not be sold like an FMCG, but it is a dream come true for many. Moreover, the customer should not be the one to bear the grunt of dealerships' sales predictions going wayward and stocking surplus cars.

Don't remember which one, but I have read in another thread about the name of the customer suffixed/prefixed to the VIN, when the vehicle is transported from the factory. What is it all about? Is the VIN just on papers or on the VIN plate of the car?
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:16   #30
Team-BHP Support

I agree that the Car should have been checked thoroughly, with VIN, PDI etc but that doesn't make Rishabh Hyundai less of a devil.

I believe the replacement offer is from HMIL and should be taken up. It is the best bet as far as I can see.

Thanks

EDIT - Please keep us updated as well.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd August 2012 at 11:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks