Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 16:29   #1

Price applicable at the time of delivery? Or booking?

Hi

I am posting on the forum after a long time due to very bad experience I just had today with Sprint Cars, the Renault dealer in Gurgaon.

My brother booked a Duster in India from Sprint Cars in Gurgaon in July 2012 and was promised the car within in 3 months.

After constant follow ups the delivery of the car just kept on unnecessarily getting delayed and no one from Renault was decent enough to answer our inquiry properly. Finally in January we were informed that our car had arrived, and that also when we called them because everyone from Renault is apparently so busy.

Today when I went to take delivery of the car with the Bank Draft equal to the Invoice amount I was issued I was unpleasantly surprised by the Dealer as he demanded 73,000 Rupees more for some price rise, which I was never informed about and secondly happened after the date I was promised the delivery of the car.

This has actually made me think is a Renault worth it ? We have bought many cars but never had we had an experience as pathetic as this one.

Does Renault treat its customers this way ?

I am really pissed at their unprofessional attitude.

As a matter of principal I am now taking this to the Consumer Court as well as Civil courts as a matter of plain cheating. I also plan to register a Police FIR in this case.
Old 24th January 2013, 16:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Price applicable at the time of delivery? Or booking?

Hi kikiki,

It is a pretty standard procedure for dealers to bill you at the price prevailing during delivery. I guess this is to ensure that neither party is adversely impacted in case of a price increase or decrease from the manufacturer. Automakers rarely cover existing stock at dealerships during a price increase, unless the model is a dud (and the Duster most certainly isn't!)

What I am curious about is how your brother waited 9 months for the car to be delivered- that sounds extreme. What was the delivery date indicated on the receipt? How much money did you pay up front? What are the terms and conditions listed on the initial receipt?

You mentioned that an invoice was issued to you during booking- that sounds unusual as well. Typically dealers take a token amount and issue a receipt for that. Can you please post a scan of the documents issued to you by the dealer? It will help make an objective assessment of the situation.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 17:44   #3

Hi noopster

The car was booked on July 11 and the booking amount was Rs.50,000. We were promised the delivery in 3 months. I will try and find out if we have the same in writing.

We kept on following them but I guess since their car was selling well they did not even bother to keep us informed. The initial person we dealt with Ms.Mehreena Khan had since left the company and each time we called we had to start the follow up again with someone new. This went on and on. We waited 9 months since we have other cars at our disposal and we just wanted an SUV as well. Also we had paid just Rs.50000, which is not really a big amount, we kept patient.

They had issues a Proforma Invoice and not the actual invoice on November 18 as they said the car would come soon and we wanted the same to get our loan processed.

My main grievance is why should I pay for the increase in the price of the car which happened after the time period in which we were promised the delivery of the car. If they had delivered on time this issue would not have arisen.

Also if there was a price rise why were we not informed.

And another thing a guy from the company told me that he could waive off 40,000 but we would have to pay the increase of 20,000 that they did in 2013, when I started talking loudly and almost shouting at them.

Who pays the compensation for the late delivery ? What about the hardships I have faced due to non-delivery of the car by the dealer and Renault ? What about the interest on my booking amount ? These are the main points on which I intend to take this to the consumer court and the civil court. We can live without the Duster but these guys need to be taught a lesson that you cannot be indifferent to the constumer just because your car is selling well.
kikikiki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 18:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikikiki View Post
As a matter of principal I am now taking this to the Consumer Court as well as Civil courts as a matter of plain cheating. I also plan to register a Police FIR in this case.
I really don't know how you can get a vehicle at the price when you booked unless you have taken that down in writing. Please read the fine print on the booking challan, it should be mentioned somewhere that the price at the time of delivery shall prevail.
Old 24th January 2013, 18:32   #5
BANNED

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
My brother booked a Duster in India from Sprint Cars in Gurgaon in July 2012 and was promised the car within in 3 months.

After constant follow ups the delivery of the car just kept on unnecessarily getting delayed and no one from Renault was decent enough to answer our inquiry properly.
Finally in January we were informed that our car had arrived, and that also when we called them because everyone from Renault is apparently so busy.

Today when I went to take delivery of the car with the Bank Draft equal to the Invoice amount I was issued I was unpleasantly surprised by the Dealer as he demanded 73,000 Rupees more for some price rise, which I was never informed about and secondly happened after the date I was promised the delivery of the car.

This has actually made me think is a Renault worth it ? We have bought many cars but never had we had an experience as pathetic as this one.

Do Renault treat its customers in Europe the same way or this indifferent style of dealing with your customers reserved for India only ?

It is really a pity.

I dont want to ever buy a car from Renault or Nissan,.
@kikikiki

Dealer can't ask you more than the price applicable at the time of booking because REnault has clearly stated that vehicles booked before 31-8-2012 will get benefit of price protection. If dealer is forcing you then show him Renault website.

See following line which is displayed on Renault WEb Site under Duster price page :

•The introductory price will be maintained for all the bookings made until the end of August 2012, delivered or not at the time of the price increase.

Last edited by micrographics : 24th January 2013 at 18:34.
micrographics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 18:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Did the dealer offer you a "price protection" guarantee against future price hikes at the time of booking?

If the answer is NO, you don't have a case against the dealer. You can even check your booking receipt for a clause to this effect.

Can you please let us know the EXACT delay between the promised date of delivery (as given in the booking mandate) and the actual date of delivery?

That said, the dealer could have handled this situation in a better fashion, by informing you the exact price information just before the day of ACTUAL delivery.

PS:

The price rise issue has already been discussed extensively in the Duster thread and it is a legitimate increase across the board.

If I were you, I would just forget this and enjoy the car for which I have waited for eternity.
Old 24th January 2013, 18:38   #7
BHPian

Hi kikikiki, it is quite common for dealers to charge with the current price structure unless they have guaranteed you the price protection as mentioned by other member (that too in writing to be sure!). It can be always argued that he should have informed you of the increased price but nothing more. Am not sure why it took 9 months first of all. Please clarify the terms and conditions mentioned along the receipt of your advance.
Old 24th January 2013, 19:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

I just saw from this post that Renault website clearly mentions "The introductory price will be maintained for all the bookings made until the end of August 2012, delivered or not at the time of the price increase."

If that is the case, I recommend you to be in contact with Renault before anything else. Or have you tried contacting Renault already?
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 19:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikikiki

After constant follow ups the delivery of the car just kept on unnecessarily getting delayed and no one from Renault was decent enough to answer our inquiry properly.
Finally in January we were informed that our car had arrived, and that also when we called them because everyone from Renault is apparently so busy.

Do Renault treat its customers in Europe the same way or this indifferent style of dealing with your customers reserved for India only ?

It is really a pity.

I dont want to ever buy a car from Renault or Nissan,.
Hi,

If you booked in July and this is time that your vehicle has been allotted then you should be price protected. This is the official statement of Renault. If not then dealer is taking you for a ride & I suggest that you escalate the same with Renault. If you have been following this thread closely then you would know that there was some serious issue with wood crawler's duster which finally got sorted after follow up
Old 25th January 2013, 10:24   #10

Thanks thoma and motorhead1981

The point is that I have tried to escalate it to Renault but in India how does one do that. We have done the following

1. Phone call to Renault Customer Care - They seem to have hardened up and promised to call us within 1 hour. It has been more than 18 hours since.

2. Email to Renault - No reply till now

3. Message on Renault India FB Page - No freply till now

4. E mail to Marc Nissaf - No reply till now.

Again the thing is that if I was abroad the car guys would be crawling around me as for them the Customer is supreme but here in India even so called companies with "European" ethics behave like the local ones with their chalta hai attitude.

Any ideas of how to get the message across to Renault ?

It is actually sickening that there is no place to go inspite of the fact that I am spending 12.5 lakhs to buy a car.

Only in India. Pathetic.

These car companies are simple not approachable.

Anyways today my brother will go with a print-out of the "promise" made by Renault and will keep this thread updated.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks thoma and motorhead1981

Anyways today my brother will go with a print-out of the "promise" made by Renault and will keep this thread updated.
kikikiki, one of my close friend in Noida booked his RxL Diesel in July and got the delivery in November '12. At the time of delivery, the dealer tried very hard to get the increased amount but my friend did not budge. After a lot of discussion, the dealer had to give him the price protection.

Just ask your brother not to give in to the dealer's demands. These guys always take their chances and some people have to suffer due to lack of awareness. Just show the dealer that you are not one of those people.
Old 25th January 2013, 12:12   #12
BHPian

If I remember correctly, things had started moving for Woodcrawler once he reported his grievance to Renault France. You may give it a shot.

Further, since you have the courage to take this matter to the police and court, I think there should be some mechanism of serving a legal notice to the dealer as well as Renault that you would file FIR and case if the matter is not resolved within a week. Check with a lawyer.

Could you mention Duster in the title of this thread? It would be easier to find this thread.
Old 25th January 2013, 12:17   #13
BHPian

Please try a post on Renault's Facebook page like Woodcrawler did.
You can also check with him directly for more info on how he escalated the issues he faced.
Old 25th January 2013, 13:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Any ideas of how to get the message across to Renault ?
One of our members was cheated in other fashion by a Renault dealer in Mumbai. Just read his excellent and planned approach to make the problem to reach its logical end in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ed-pg-2-a.html

Further, our another member, woodcrawler, also solved his problem with Renalut in productive ways , read this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ow-solved.html

Both the above threads throw immense light on how to force Renault to turn on the issue. I think reading them will answer your queries.

Further, I would suggest you to go for consumer forum for your remedies and compensation. Approaching criminal proceedings in this issue is cumbersome and not suitable, since the issue is only civil nature.

Last edited by vskesavan : 25th January 2013 at 13:17.
Old 25th January 2013, 13:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

@kikiki,

Sorry to hear your trauma regarding the Duster booking/delivery after waiting for 9 months now.

The Renault price hike was in the papers for some time and I feel you should have contacted the dealer immediately and personally to check on the price hike affecting your booking instead of waiting till the delivery date. I am not saying that dealer shudnt have informed you about the price hike but it pays to be alert from one's side since you are making the huge investment. Ideally the delivery should have happened without the dealer asking for price hike, I guess they are just throwing the bait.

As suggested by others, take a hard stand and dont allow Dealer to influence you in paying the extra amount. All the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks