Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 17:39   #1
BHPian

Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New

Dear Friends

I am writing this in a very sad mood. I will come straight to the point by giving just a bit of background.

My "so called" NEW Car: Tata Aria Pride 4x4.

My old car: Tata Safari EX 4x2 (2011) done 85,000 kms.

My search for new car: I had shortlisted Safari Storme VX 4x2 and Toyota Innova VX.

Dealership: Jaika Motors, Nagpur.

Why Aria?: Since Jaika Motors were giving me a good deal, that is I exchange my old Safari with them (6 Lakhs for old Safari) I will get Rs. 2.5 Lakh discount on Aria since the Aria was 2012 "December" model. I made my decision of purchasing the Aria 4x4 for price of a Storme 4x4 along with FREE Extended Warranty & Zero Dep Insurance at the price of Normal Insurance (again by Jaika Motors). Innova was ruled out since Toyota were not offering a good price for my Safari.

The buying process: This was probably the best Car buying experience which I have ever had. Everything was smooth, hasslefree & on time. The sales guy (Mr. Swapnil) made me feel as if I am buying a 50 Lakh German car. The Registration, Finance (Tata Capital) and Insurance was done by Jaika Motors withing 3 days after my confirmation. It took them 2 days to get my finance approved & 2 hours for registration and the delivery was on time.

D-Day (Delivery, 26th July 2013): I called up Swapnil a day before the delivery (25th Jul) to set a time which he told will be 3pm. On 26th I get a call from Swapnil that the car is ready & registration is completed and that they are waiting for me.

Once I reached the showroom the vehicle was waiting at the delivery bay. I was asked about the accessories I require and got them installed immediately (3D Kagu Maxpider Mats). Next was the paper work, which again was promptly done by Mr. Swapnil & a lady there. The photograph was taken while Swapnil was handing over the keys to me and a coupon of 10 ltrs free diesel was also given to me which made me feel that Jaika is probably the best dealership in Nagpur.

What went wrong: As soon as I sat in the car I didnt get the positive vibe which should be there in a new car. The "Smell" of a new car was completely missing. The wrappers on the seat and all over the car were missing. There was a bad stain on the glove box and the whole interiors were dipped in polish. I asked them to remove the excess polish from the dashboard and the door pads as I never liked it. It was done promptly. I ignored the "smell" factor since the car was lying at the dealership for over 6 months now. But things changed once I filled the FREE 10 litres of diesel. While trying to reset the Trip meter I realised that the ODO reading was 2478 kms!

I immediately called up Swapnil and asked him for a clarification.
Swapnil: Sir car was driven down to Nagpur from the Pune factory as we were "RE-launching" the Aria and many more cars are brought that way.

My reply: OK

My next question to him: Pune is 700 kms from Nagpur so what about the remaining 1700 kms?
Swapnil: Sir during the "RE-launching" we had to take this car to our Amravati & Chandrapur showroom.

LIE #1.
I had asked him if it was a test drive vehicle and he confirmed me that it is NOT a TD vehicle and has only been driven from their yard (in Butibori) to the showroom (60-70 kms).

LIE #2
I was told that the car is "December" 2012 manufactured whereas after decoding its chassis no. it was "JAN 2012" which is 18 months old and NOT 6 months.

Next day (27th Jan): I called up Swapnil and asked him to take back the car. He tried to convince me that the vehicle is unused and is registered now. But I was not in any mood to listen to him. Next I got a call from their GM, Mr. Pravin (sorry I forgot the last name). He also tried convincing that the car is not USED and that it was their mistake they didnt inform me about the 2400 kms ODO reading. I told them to meet me at my office.

Within an hour's time Swapnil & Mr. Pravin reached my office. After giving them enough reasons of not believing that this vehicle is BRAND NEW they agreed and gave me the following options:

1. I keep this car and they will provide me NEW Tires and 3 years / 1,00,000 AMC (Including everything) total worth 1,00,000. Basically I don't have to pay a single Rupee for maintaining the car for next 3 years.

But my calculations were different. IF I am keeping the "USED" car then the market rate of it should be in range of 12-13 lakhs.
My reply: Give me a package of 2.5 lakhs and not 1 lakh, which I knew they would never agree but still I tried.

2. They will give me 2013 Aria Pride @ Rs. 18,00,000 (No discount) and take this car back. I need to pay 2.5 lakhs extra. Now I bought the 2012 model of Aria just because of the discounts offered on it and not that I really liked the car.
My reply: Give me the 2013 Aria Pride at no extra cost.
So option #2 ruled out.

3. They will get another 2012 model Aria from the Pune factory in a week's time with <100 kms on it. Suits me.

4. 4th Option was given by me to them. "Write" down everything on your letterhead and I will keep this car. (Send legal notice to them later).

Since I am not opting for the 4th option immediately (In case the 3rd one doesn't workout then I will go for the 4th option).

I thought I should share my horrible experience with you guys.

I request you all to please guide me in making my decision. Should I give them another chance and get new Aria or should I take some legal action?

All inputs will be highly appreciated.

Here are some of the pictures of the car which lead me to realize that this is NOT a NEW Car.

Odometer reading:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_112931.jpg

Chassis Number:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_110629.jpg

Copy of Octroi Receipt in sun glass holder:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_112426.jpg

Used Jack:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_104041.jpg

Used & dirty Towing hook:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_104302.jpg

Dirty Compartments (roof mounted):
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_103732.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_103740.jpg

Seat belt buckle facing the opposite side:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102941.jpg

Cigarette Lighter (according to the manual they don't provide any) also the cap of the 12V socket is still there:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102749.jpg

Steering wheel has after market cover: (Probably they must have used dirty oiled hands and spoilt the leather):
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102718.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102720.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102723.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102725.jpg

Scratches on door sills:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_103008.jpg

Difference in paint on the rear (Re-painted probably):
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102513.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102519.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_103600.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_103617.jpg

Rubber bidding:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102450.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_103020.jpg

A-Pillar plastic panel might have been replaced (accidental ?)
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102537.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102543.jpg

No Plastic wrappers on "NEW" car (Though I would have removed them before the delivery but I never got that opportunity):
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102908.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102911.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102915.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102918.jpg

Stains inside the car:
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_102423.jpg
Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New-20130727_103043.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st August 2013 at 01:10. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully, Thanks
Shantanu1970 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 18:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New

How did you even accept this car delivery? By no means does this car look new. Even if it parked in the yard for 6 months, the interiors will not see this sort of abuse.

Go for option #3 but you could have avoided all this headache/heartache by simply following our pdi or some standard checks. Whatever photos you posted should have been done earlier.

Sorry to say but this is a huge lax from your part to even accept delivery of such a car.

All the best in getting a replacement. Do update on how it goes.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 18:12   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Cheated by Jaika Motors, Nagpur (Tata Dealership). Got a Used Aria instead of New

That you have a car that has been handled and used over a period thats pretty sure. Also, you do not know on whether the car has only run those 2400 odd kms that you saw on the Odo. You only know that it has run at the very least for those many kms. The state of the car, including the dirty and stained paper-holds, bins and those faint scrathc marks everywhere proves that it is a car which has not been stationary in the yard. So you will definitly need to escalate this at all levels. In that regard I am not even sure whether you should have just left it on the dealership to resolve this mess. They will keep playing for time and hope that you keep using the car in this duration.

I am surprised that you bought a car without seeing it at all! People generally do a PDI before they agree to get the RTO work done. You even went for the final delivery and saw it apparently for the first time only then!

If I were you I would have gone back and dumped the car in their dealership the very next day, put in a wheel lock and asked them to resolve it as I am not going to take the car back. I would have also got the regional Tata management involved then and there. Once you have the car with you and keep driving the vehicle then you open yourself up to some compromised solution at best.

Last edited by Zappo : 31st July 2013 at 18:15.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Go for option #3 but you could have avoided all this headache/heartache by simply following our pdi or some standard checks. Whatever photos you posted should have been done earlier.

Sorry to say but this is a huge lax from your part to even accept delivery of such a car.
+1 to #3.

This is the big reason to ask people to do a Pre-registration Check, using our PDI Checklist. Once registered, things get sticky.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 18:16   #5
BHPian

Feel bad for you, sir. A team-bhp PDI would have done the trick.

Anyways, what is done is done. Going by the records of the dealership, if I were in your shoes, I would have gone for a brand new 2013 Aria. Pay the premium. Enjoy a brand new car. Do a proper PDI before accepting delivery.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu1970 View Post
I request you all to please guide me in making my decision. Should I give them another chance and get new Aria or should I take some legal action?
A very sad & shocking incident indeed. Looks like a refurbished test drive vehicle. As suggested earlier, the PDI should have been done very carefully indeed. Especially for the old stock vehicles, the PDI assumes an outmost importance.
You can ask for the history of the vehicle. They do have a separate log maintained for the test drive vehicles. The company also has a track of these pieces. If you do not get the details from the dealer, suggest you get in touch with the customer care at the manufacturer level. Unless you can prove explicitly that you had not agreed for a test drive vehicle or a used one at that, legal recourse will not gain you enough compensation and that too probably stretching over a very long period too. Best is to arrive at a compromise and take a replacement.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Option 3 for sure. However I am not completly convinced.

1. You dont like the car, yet you brought it only for the discounts? I dont think that was a right thing to do, however it was your personal decision, so I rest my case.
2. Always remember that if any offer is too good to be true, the chances are it isnt true. There were too many red signals to ignore in this offer and a little diligence could have avoided the heartburn.

and Finally, you are dealing with a TATA dealer. I had an Indica DLG for 6 years and the only reason I did not go with a TATA again, though I loved the car was because of their "I care a damn" attitude towards their customers. So, Please ensure that any agreement with them, you take it in writing and record your telephonic conversations.

Keep us posted on the developments.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:33   #8
BHPian

Its we BHP-ian and very few informed crowd only take those PDI, I have seen many who doesn't bother to know about the chasis number, not even open bonnet to check for anything before/while delivery.

If the car was bit more cleaner and the ODO was reset, I doubt even Shantanu might not get to know about this.

Wishing you luck to get the matter settled in some favour ways.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:36   #9
BHPian

Its very clear that the car has seen alot of action already. I hope that you are not using this car currently, as it would only weaken your bargaining power. Please either handover the car back to the dealership (take a letter that they have accepted the car) OR park the car at your place/ dealership and do not use it.

Also get the senior management from TATA involved, dealers will bid time and then wash their hands off these kinda issues. I would suggest that you talk only to TATA and not to the dealer.

Needless to say, you have learnt a valuable lesson here. Always, Always do a PDI at the stock yard.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:42   #10
BHPian

Sorry, if I sound rude, mate. But, in this case you've shot youself in the foot. Even without the TBHP PDI checklist, you should have noticed everything that you are seeing now (and we are seeing too in the photographs.)

As Vid6639 says above, this is laxity on your part as well. The dealership tried to play a trick and unfortunately you fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Best course now would be to go for option 3. Meanwhile, ask them to expedite the process for getting a new 2012 made Aria (there must be plenty lying all around India). Oh and in the meantime, don't leave the car with the dealership to play with even more.

And lastly, if nothing works, write to TATA higher ups and demand some action.
Old 31st July 2013, 19:08   #11
BANNED

As suggested by many and wisely chosen by you, Option-3 of getting a brand new 2012 car of the same specifications is the best way out of this. And yes, like the others have suggested, DO NOT use this car and take photographs of the odo reading and park it at your place properly so that you have some hold on the case.
Old 31st July 2013, 19:09   #12
BHPian

Shantanu,
With all due respect, the carelessness you have shown is indisputable. I would have NEVER taken the delivery of such a vehicle whose faults are so obvious! Sorry to say but you are at fault as well.

That said, I would advice you to stay away from TATA cars. There are 3 TATA cars in my family currently (Including an Aria) and they have been the WORST vehicles we have ever purchased. TATA After sales is the pathetic and useless.

I would advice you to try and return this car to the dealership and try and get a refund. Once you get the money back, look elsewhere. A Toyota Innova for that matter, with all its faults is one of the most reliable vehicles in the country.
Do yourself a favor, if it can be done, STAY AWAY FROM AN ARIA.
Old 31st July 2013, 22:47   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me be very brutal (and to an extent, rude too) on this - you seem to be giving the discounts a lot more importance than peace of mind. Even your option 1 was more focused on additional discounts than getting a brand new fresh car.

Yes, option number 3 "seems" to be good - but again you are agreeing to take in a 2012 car - a car that is at the least 8 months old. All for that discount you were given earlier. And these are Tata vehicles we are talking about - they don't age extremely well like some of the better Japanese brands.

If I were you, I'd try to exit the deal or at the most negotiate your way out for a cheaper brand new 2013 Storme.

P.s. Btw if you haven't noticed, you are using 4 smileys in the initial post; only 2 allowed per post. Interesting that both the mods haven't caught that yet, over the fact that this was a newbie's moderator-approved post

Last edited by ninjatalli : 31st July 2013 at 22:53.
Old 31st July 2013, 23:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Basic question, why did'nt you inspect the car before you signed the dotted line. If you had followed the TBHP checklist then i am damn sure that you would not have ended up in this mess!

I agree that its wrong and unprofessional on TATA's side . But sorry to say that you were also too lax , might i go even further and say, careless?Sorry to be so brutal. You did not even take some effort to ensure that the vehicle is proper before purchasing.A simple inspection before approving the vehicle and releasing the funds would have saved a lot of trouble!

When we purchased our i20 we went to the dealer yard and inspected the basic functionality like ODO,fit and finish.Took photos from mobile cam from different angles. Also noted down the VIN number so that we can confirm during the delivery that the same car which we inspected was being delivered to us. Also on the day of delivery did a 1 hour PDI before signing any document.

Best bet is to take option 3 and get your peace of mind back ASAP. Also mail TATA big shots posting the link of this thread. Things may get expedited then.
Old 31st July 2013, 23:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Let us not jump upon the aggrieved soul and deepen his misery. Firstly if he had been an avid TBHP follower, he would not have fallen for a market dud like Aria. Alright, he got 2.5L discount, But just after driving out of the showroom, must have lost minimum 40-50% of the 18.5L he spent on the car.
Anyways he had made an informed decision by going for a 2012 made 'new' car. But that does not mean the showroom should play double smart and pass on a lemon or accident car.

Last edited by poloman : 31st July 2013 at 23:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks