Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 11:29   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta, Premature driveshaft wear - VW Palace Cross won't replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

The Service Manager, Mr Ali merely said: "If we put the circlips on, it was be all right"

This is ludicrous, the joints are worn and leaking. In the UK, this car would fail the MoT fitness test.
Maybe a bit OT , but I have a similar problem of noise from the drive-shafts of my Jetta, which has clocked 73000 KM - and they probably need replacement. One of the boots is torn/leaking and a multi-car workshop mechanic suggested that the boot could be replaced as an initial experiment. And then if needed, the drive-shafts could be replaced.

However, while checking on the web, I got the impression that the drive-shaft has to be removed and re-fitted even for the boot replacement. So would it be better to replace the drive-shafts/boots at the same time?

Any inputs are welcome.
Old 21st October 2016, 12:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
However, while checking on the web, I got the impression that the drive-shaft has to be removed and re-fitted even for the boot replacement. So would it be better to replace the drive-shafts/boots at the same time?

Any inputs are welcome.
To replace boots drive shafts have to be removed, so the mechanical work is similar to removing the assembly.

New drive shaft will come as a full assembly with the boots, so yes that would be always a better thing to do. If it is already making the noise, the chances are sound will not go away or even if they pack it up with new grease, sound will return after a short while.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 12:21   #18
BHPian

Thanks, Jaggu for your inputs.
I am planning to buy the parts and get it done at a Bosch service workshop.
Old 21st October 2016, 12:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
One of the boots is torn/leaking and a multi-car workshop mechanic suggested that the boot could be replaced as an initial experiment. And then if needed, the drive-shafts could be replaced.

Any inputs are welcome.
If the boot is already torn, and grease is already leaking, in all probability dust has entered the CV joint and ruined it. There is no use replacing boots, unless you WANT to giving it a "try". And if its making clanking sounds on full lock, its already gone, don't waste your time and effort on it.

Axles can last the lifetime of a vehicle, if CV joints are cared for by timely boot replacements. CV boots are supposed to be replaced when they show signs of rubber degradation, i.e. superficial cracks. In the west, where labor is costly, cost of a new axle is comparable to replacing boots on a old one. Maybe, even cheaper. So they choose to replace instead of repair. Yes, its a tedious job. The whole axle needs to be disassembled. But in our country, where labor is cheap, it makes sense to replace boots.

Last edited by black_rider : 21st October 2016 at 12:32.
Old 21st October 2016, 19:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
If the boot is already torn, and grease is already leaking, in all probability dust has entered the CV joint and ruined it.

Axles can last the lifetime of a vehicle, if CV joints are cared for by timely boot replacements.
Yes, that's what I thought and will go for the drive-shaft replacement.
Even I have rarely heard of axle drive-shaft problems - and that too at 73K km. But this is a pre-owned car I purchased last year and not sure how well it was maintained.

Thanks for your inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks