Old 3rd August 2006, 20:02   #1
BHPian

My Horrible Swift Experience

New Car

Mark on delivery after scrubbing

The Sony Head Unit and Aux Tray

The dent made by service people

Hi everyone,

After some excellent inputs from forum members on a new car choice as well as ICE, I finally picked up my Swift ZXI three weeks back (see pic), and now after the first service at 1000Km, here are my comments. Bottomline is I love the car, but I seem to be having a terrible experience so far on many different counts and would like to know your feedback or similar experiences and how you handled it.

Sales
-----------------------
Picked up my vehicle from Popular Vehicles, Annanagar, Chennai. It was next to my house and so I thought it would be more convenient. Had a little annoying experience with the sales team, who promptly came and took the booking order from me and them forgot about it. I had to chase the salesperson for information on the car, the deal and accessories, which I got after a week of chasing. Agreed on adding in the Sony head unit (M7810), Sony Aux Tray, Llumar Sunfilm. Had a very good experience with SBI, who did the finance. They asked for a set of papers, came promptly and collected it the next morning and called back in three days to say my loan had been approved and asked me to come over and collect the cheque.

Delivery
-----------------------
Was asked to pick up the car on the 7th July at 5:30 PM. Went there at 5 and waited till 7:15. Finally got the car! yaay! looks awesome! On closer inspection, I notice two things - one, a dark mark is above the driver side window on the door frame about one square inch in size. Salesperson says not to worry its from a sticker and will go away after few washes. He is wrong - it is some kind of acid burn and doesnt go with any amount of washing. I have used Turtlewax rubbing compund and it has lessened considerably (see pic), but at the cost of reduced gloss in that area. Two, the sunfilm application is horrendous. There are bubbles all over the rear glass, and a few in the front windscreen strip and side windows. Accessories person tells me not to worry, it will settle down in a few days. He is also wrong - its still the same, and is irritating as hell to drive in the night as the light hits all the bubbles in the rear, making it difficult to see.

First 1000Km
-----------------------
Car is excellent to drive, just love the comfort, handling and the air conditioning is top notch in the Chennai heat. Fix in the JBL compos in front and JBLs at the rear and spend a hour or two tweaking the sound to get it just right. Sounds super! (see pic)

Day Three - parked at the office and come down to lunch - notice that the right rear tire has deflated fully. Call Popular emergency and get a guy who cannot speak English or Tamil. Instead he speaks a hybrid language of Tamil and Malayalam. Get frustrated after 10 minutes of trying to communicate and ask him if there is anyone around. Explain to the other person my location and they promise to come in two hours, which they do. They replace the tire with the spare and take it for repair. I spend the NEXT SEVEN DAYS trying to get it back. I make calls twice a day until I finally get it back. They tell me its a valve failure, which is puzzling as the car is three days old and has done less than 50KM. They do not comment when I ask them to replace the tire, telling me that its been fixed. But seven days???? sucks...

From day one, I notice a loud high pitched whine from the car on cold start that disappears after changing gear. Think that this will get OK after first service - it does not. Any ideas what this is will be appreciated. Also I notice around six-seven times, while driving at night, the dashboard backlights for the speedo, RPM and Fuel suddenly disappear for a few seconds and reappear. Once it disappeared for a few minutes. Also the rear door rubber beading doesnt seem to be stuck to the frame and is loose and starts drooping a little

1st SERVICE NIGHTMARE
-----------------------
Car is great, and no problems at all until first service. I clean the car everyday and wax once a week and proudly display my shiny new car! But the worst is still to come. Completed 1000 km in three weeks thanks to some lovely ECR drives, and call Popular, who says they will send in someone to collect the car. No sign of the person for three days. I go to the showroom and make a scene with the manager who promises to send in someone immediately. Person calls and comes to collect the car on a Sunday as per my convenience. I explain the problems of the dashboard lights and the drooping beading and the bubbly sunfilm - he says they will fix the other issues and service and then tackle the sunfilm as that has to be done by the accesories dept. Guy returns the car in the night - beading has not been fixed, dashboard light problem is the same, guy has not understood a word I have said and it is marked in the service sheet "Dashboard light (seatbelt) ok" which is not connected to my problem.

While cleaning the car the next morning I notice that THERE IS A F@#$%@# DENT under the front bumper (see pic). Not very visible from the top with just a slight bulge, but when seen from ground level, it is positively ugly - I hate the service guys - they have dented my brand new car and dont even have the decency to tell me about it while returning it! How does something hit from underneath so hard??? It doesnt look like it has been hit from the front. I'm furious and feel like hitting someone. Call the service guys and rave at them and they promise to get it all fixed and after a few more furious calls up the chain, I have a person visit to see the vehicle.

The guy apologizes and says they will repair it. I tell him that this is a brand new vehicle and repair is unacceptable. I tell him they will have to replace it (somehow it feels damaged even after a repair, plus its their fault so I feel I am entitled to one) but he says this part is in high demand and not easily available and they will repair it and I wont notice the difference - I tell him thats crap and I dont mind waiting for a replacement, but he mumbles some other excuse and says I wont notice. I tell him if I do notice it I will send it back for a replacement. He has taken the car today to fix these and I will get it back tomorrow and will update.

Also they have cleaned all the interior trim with some oil, which has taken away the nice new car smell and left a horrible oily smell that has lessened after airing the car. They have also fiddled with my Stereo EQ settings and changed my driver seat length, height and angle. My ashtray, which contained some small change in notes and coins has also been emptied.

This is really pissing off - is there something or some action I can take for such inefficient service thats plagued me right from booking of the car? Has anyone else here dealt with Popular and found them this inefficient or am I one of those unlucky few? Can I escalate to Maruti for further action? Any advice in this will be appreciated.

Last edited by Rtech : 5th August 2006 at 10:16.
Old 3rd August 2006, 21:06   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Well the flickering dashboard lights etc could be because of a loose connection somewhere .. Or the battery terminals might be slightly loose ..

As far as the dent is concerned , certainly do take them to task .. This is not the way they ought to be treating our cars ..

As far as the stereo settings are concerned , if the battery terminals are removed it automatically resets all the settings .. So thats not the reason to worry about ... Coming to the seat settings , comeon buddy do u want someone to drive ur car in an uncomfortable position and end up doing more damage to it than already ?? Its a drivers right to seat himself in such a way that he is most comfortable and confident ..

As far as the nicking away the change is concerned , i must admit thats horrendous .. Actually coming to think of it , its the owners duty to empty the car of all stuff before sending it for service etc .. In fact , my service centre guys even make it a point to take off the HU , the ganesha idol , any change in the ashtray , documents in the dashboard put them all in a cover and hand it over to me .. Maybe every dealer follows this , and this time maybe the guy has forgotten to collect the cover from the office .. Please do check with them on this regard ..
Old 3rd August 2006, 21:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this story, Minor glitches are common from Maruti vehicles especially from Swift, I own Swift VXI 5 months old car now, I an still hear roaring sound for few seconds every day my driver starts it in the morning 9AM. If you keep vehicle idle you can feel jerky vibrations, Maruti had fixed these issues but problem came back after 100KM use. I had poor pickup I issues notice to Dealer and MUL then they tested valve clearance and fixed the problem for some extent, but still vehicle is not great...

Every swift has one or other minor problem, These days service is too bad since vehicle numbers increased across india but not the skill set of mechanic nor good number of service stations. Dealers never take it serious in most of the cases unless we issue them legal written notice, Very unfortunate.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd August 2006, 22:04   #4
BHPian

my swift is 4 months old....i have'nt run on a single problem as of yet...i have done 5000 km just in last one month...the only problem i encounterd was the rear seat sqweaks..and i think that is because of my parcel tray & subwoofer in the boot..i need to tighten up the tray to reduce the sound....except that i have nt had any problem...
Old 3rd August 2006, 22:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Do escalate it to Maruti. They are known to come down heavily on dealers with disgruntled customers. In Bangalore, an erstwhile Maruti dealer called Solar was forced to shut shop due to some unethical business practices - after a customer bought it up with Maruti.

However, while I empathize with you abt the patch on your door and the deformed bumper, I guess you should should accept that attention to detail and utter professionalism are not the forte of any business-big or small in India, as unfortunate as it sounds.
Old 3rd August 2006, 22:27   #6
BHPian

mclaren1885 (im a fan myself :-)) - point noted on the seat adjustment and the stereo settings - i'm in an already irritated mood and probably trying to find fault with everything - It's not there in my complaint mail to Maruti in the online form on their website, which I havnt received a reply to. Agreed I didnt check the money in the ashtray and it is my responsibility - i only realised it when I opened it to pay for parking the following day and will give the benefit of the doubt to them, that they actually might have kept it aside and forgot to put it back in.

Again the mark and the rubber beading are minor complaints, but I'm quite the perfectionist, so it does bother me. I clean the car myself every night after I get back from work, polish it over the weekend and generally take pride in a shiny car until the day when eventually it will get scratched or dented while I'm driving even after which I am sure I will get it fixed immediately. Someone in Mumbai is riding a Suzuki Shaolin that I meticulously took care of for five years in mint condition before my cousin (who worked for Business Standard Motoring) took it to Mumbai and subsequently sold before moving.

what really bothers me is the dent while under their care as well as the general lax attitude of the staff in attending everything from the sales, tyre flat, and problems in the first service. The car itself lives up to my expectations completely, so this is definitely disheartening.

Are there any contact emails / numbers that I can take it up with the necessary people at Popular and Maruti?
Old 3rd August 2006, 23:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Skiddy, I just had my round of crap at popular a few weeks back. See my thread on that in the dealers review. I call up and blast them atleast 2 times in a week for not replying to my emails. They havent given me my RC book as well.

PM me for more details or call me at 9841282837
Old 3rd August 2006, 23:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Do escalate it to Maruti. They are known to come down heavily on dealers with disgruntled customers. In Bangalore, an erstwhile Maruti dealer called Solar was forced to shut shop due to some unethical business practices - after a customer bought it up with Maruti.
They are not going to anything...... Believe me. I have real experience. My send folders are overflowing with mails to all the top brass at south zone of Maruti.

They just dont care a damn about customers.
Old 4th August 2006, 02:34   #9
BHPian

and some people on the forum swear bye the a.s.s of maruti(by condeming other car companies)
Old 4th August 2006, 11:15   #10
BHPian

mail4ajo, I just read your thread as well and fully understand what you must be going through! I will get in touch with you either PM or Phone probably tomorrow as I have a tight schedule today. Which Popular showroom did you get your car from - mine was the Annanagar one. I havnt got my RC as well (and the photo they took during delivery :-))
Old 4th August 2006, 11:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddyrow
First 1000Km
-----------------------
Day Three - parked at the office and come down to lunch - notice that the right rear tire has deflated fully. Call Popular emergency and get a guy who cannot speak English or Tamil. . Explain to the other person my location and they promise to come in two hours, which they do. They replace the tire with the spare and take it for repair.
I am lost! You called Emergency service for changing a flat tyre? And why would they take the car for "repair"?
Old 4th August 2006, 11:49   #12
BHPian

its just the dealer whu is the culprit here .......i more than satisfied from my dealer (rohan motors,delhi)......damn it ....ma horn wasn't working perfectly....after the 1st service ,called them up.....they came to ma office around 20 km from their workshop...on the same day,repaired it.....before this i never knew Maruti dealership has graduted to Professionalism and customer satisfaction....kudos to them....

its jst that skiddyrow got a bad dealer...dude nxt time try diff. maruti dealer for service.
Old 4th August 2006, 11:52   #13
BHPian

Ok, even I had a similar experience while taking delivery of my swift from RNS Motors Bangalore. I thoroughly all around the car even front bumper and rear, underneath the car. What I found that a scratch underneath the front bumper, Later after showing the scratch, I got it replaced the front bumper within 15mnts before deilvery.

My guess is the that they might have exchanged the bumper from another swift. Check it with them, I am sure it cannot happen until the car is taken out. Sure this might be a replacement from other car.

Even I had rattling sound in front doors which I got fixed in 2nd service. Now I am having problem free (touch wood ).
Old 4th August 2006, 11:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
and some people on the forum swear bye the a.s.s of maruti(by condeming other car companies)
Well said Yogi!!! Maruti dealers are happily taking customers for granted, mainly becoz they have the volumes!
Old 4th August 2006, 12:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

O.T.-
Actually of late, there have been disconcerting reports of the appalling service standards of some Maruti, Honda and Toyota dealers, while GM and Fiat dealer (ok- Fiat TATA in most cases) are showing good improvement. So r we seeing a realignment of market forces here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks