Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 16:58   #61
BHPian

Re: Scam alert : A/C Disinfectant

Quote:
pixantz
Please check out my post post #16 earlier in this thread. Hope this solves most of the queries related to the topic.
Thanks pixantz. I have indeed read through your inputs and gained knowledge. Thanks again.

Quote:
AkMar
The air thrown out by the blowers with the AC switched off used to have a smell. That smell has gone away now.
AkMar, smell doesnt just go away from your car. Check if it was seasonal. If the smell was pungent during monsoon, then its most probably a fungal growth in carpet or A/C vent. The problem in modern cars is that we no longer use the old multi layer (metal mesh + sponge) version and have moved to more cost effective paper mesh (read that recycled) cabin filters. Some cars (even highend) do not come with a cabin filter.

This is just utter nonsense. How can a auto manufacturer send a HVAC system to customer without a filter ? This is against the norm and scientific reasoning.

I apologize, if you feel I am ranting my brains out. But, this is VERY true. Last week, I went balistic on my dealer who said A/C filter is a EXTRA accessory for my car. Its not a jewel that I want my car to adorn but its a jewel that will save me and my family from harmful respiratory syndromes and infections.

My humble suggestion to every TeamBHPian is to check their A/C system immediately and get a filter installed ASAP. I am not fear mongering, but educating novices like myself who just depended on the dealers for their car maintenance. Being a biker I like grease and dust under my finger nails. And that has saved me thousands of rupees till date.

I still remember what my mechanic (guru) told me. Keeping car and motorcycle filters clean is like keeping your nose clean. I laughed when he told me that when I was a kid, but today I realise those were pearls of knowledge.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:33   #62
BHPian

I don't think this is a scam. It's an additional service you can get at service center rather than going at some third party shoppe like 3m etc. Many people i know get AC disinfectant done through 3M etc and pay similar amount if not more.

Now whether it's a mandatory thing? No. It's just additional stuff people MAY want and service center are capitalizing on these opportunity. Nothing wrong. If you don't want, just politely deny the same. If you're not sure what exactly this is. Ask for details and either choose or deny.

in my last service i was asked if i want, i simply denied. I do this on a regular basis on my cars. After service i did this as a DIY.

http://www.amazon.in/TufSeal-6146-Co...c+disinfectant

Also i did engine coating myself. Asked the service center to clean the engine area, after coming home just sprayed the coat. Was it needed. No. I just want to keep my car clean

http://www.ebay.in/itm/TUFSEAL-4050-...-/171451886608
Attached Thumbnails
Scam alert : A/C Disinfectant-engine-coat.jpg  

Old 6th July 2015, 12:59   #63
BHPian

Quote:
abbey4u
I totally agree with you regarding the optional part of this service. BUT, is the service effective ? Mine and other guys in this forum is same. No. The problem here is the placement of evaporator coil which is either little higher than the lowest point of A/C tubing or placed far into the firewall where the disinfectant does not reach it at all. The only option is to come from the fan end, since it is the least path of resistance for the air to come compressor fan.

Regading TufSeal products. Yes, I do own them and happy with their performance. We do need a more strong solution to clean HVAC system in Indian cars since our tropical environment does not allow to breathe in peace.

Regarding the engine coating, does Tufseal product contain lacquer in it or is it just yet another silicone variant ?

But, thats one shiny engine you got there.
Old 6th July 2015, 13:58   #64
BHPian

I have an annual package from 3M which does include an 'AC Disinfectant' treatment, now please advice shall I still go ahead with this or shall I just give this a miss, even after considering that I have already paid for the same.

I would not want this to negatively impact the cooling or any other characteristic with reverence to a car AC mechanism.

Please advice.
Old 12th July 2015, 00:38   #65
BHPian

Go ahead. It does not affect your inner evaporator coil negatively. It just mildly cleanses the coil off moulds.

Make sure they clean the vents after the service. Many a times it is wet and it again adds to dust sticking inside the vents. They need to use pressurised air or you can run HVAC at higher temperatures for few minutes.
Old 21st August 2015, 16:13   #66
BHPian

For the records 3M does not sell the AC Conditioner Foam. I had given my car for wash couple of days back at 3M and the Supervisor said its not for sale instead i can avail there AC cleaning service which I remember is twice the price of the condensed foam container.

I had once bought a similar one from Gulf Oil but cannot locate it anywhere now. There are others available on e-commerce sites, yet to check one of those.
Old 7th January 2016, 17:55   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranxter View Post
For the records 3M does not sell the AC Conditioner Foam. I had given my car for wash couple of days back at 3M and the Supervisor said its not for sale instead i can avail there AC cleaning service which I remember is twice the price of the condensed foam container.

I had once bought a similar one from Gulf Oil but cannot locate it anywhere now. There are others available on e-commerce sites, yet to check one of those.
This. I was told by two franchise 3M centers that they will not sell the foam. They instead asked me to use their A/c disinfectant service.
Old 11th March 2016, 11:53   #68
BHPian

Thank You All for helping me save Rs 1400 /- + taxes .

Dealer : Pride Honda, Madhapur, Hyderabad
Car : Honda City.
Scam attempted : AC Disinfectant & Engine bay spray

Iam usually expected to take care of the regular services for all the cars at home and today I took my cousins car for its first paid service. The service appointment was pre booked and we were at the service center on time.
Except for the intermittent disruption in the horn we had no complaints and the SA very promptly added additional services to the job card and rounded off the service estimate to Rs 5000/-. I asked him about the purpose of the engine bay spay (Rs 650/-) and the answer I got is to keep the new look intact , he added on to say that AC disinfectant (Rs 750/-) is necessary and the Summer has already begun. I very politely asked him to remove the two jobs off the list, which was done with haste. He added a break pad cleaning service for Rs 250/- tough, which I was not too sure off and agreed for that. However when I browsed the internet I found this too be an unnecessary add on by many service centers.
Iam attaching the job card below for your reference, where you can clearly see the unwanted jobs cancelled after the discussion.

Once again, I thank everyone here for highlighting these ill practices by services centers.

Job card

Scam alert : A/C Disinfectant-113cd3b5c14f5054.jpg

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 12th October 2017, 12:57   #69
BHPian

Brake pad cleaning (and greasing) can be done from a local mechanic for much lesser price ~ Rs. 200. Just keep an eye on when he puts the tyres back. Rest all should be fine.
Old 24th January 2019, 14:39   #70
BHPian

My Car is in the service station now and the estimate given to me is 1000 more than what I paid a year back. Nowadays, you get an online link from Maruti as soon as you leave the service center which gives the details of things being used. You can either Approve or decline them.

The AC disinfectant is what is making the 1000 extra.Searched for what it is and came across this thread . I would go ahead with it this time, just to see if it really makes a difference. Will decline from next time if it's of no use.

P.S:- My 8 year old A-star never had any AC cleaning or servicing done before. Just the cabin air filter is changed every two years.
Attached Thumbnails
Scam alert : A/C Disinfectant-capture.png  

Last edited by saion666 : 24th January 2019 at 14:46.
saion666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 20:04   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
I would go ahead with it this time, just to see if it really makes a difference.
Just see the first post of the thread. This stuff is like fabric softener: it seems to make a difference, but it doesn't. Being squirted into the outlet, you just get some smell for a few days.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 07:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just see the first post of the thread. This stuff is like fabric softener: it seems to make a difference, but it doesn't. Being squirted into the outlet, you just get some smell for a few days.
I called the service advisor and had a word with him after posting here.He said that this is already done but he promised to charge minimal for the ac disinfectant. Guess what he did, he reduced the price of ac disinfectant by Rs.300 and added some 'fuel tank cleaning' of Rs.400 in labour cost(which did not appear online).

Also what is this wax top kit!

Last edited by saion666 : 25th January 2019 at 08:00.
Old 25th January 2019, 14:05   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

How much for the manual/oral exhalation kit?

... Which consist of blowing a kiss to you on the way out.

I say: refuse to pay anything for the unwanted AC stuff and the phantom tank cleaning.

These people are getting too imaginative!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 09:36   #74

Hi,

Yesterday I went to Nissan service centre in Sector 18 Gurugram for some minor adjustments on the front axle boot clamp. Since I was there for the job I had asked them to check the Air filter, Cabin Filter and brakes.

The service advisor asked me if I want AC vent cleaning. Since I live in Gurugram which is super Dusty environment, I thought I would give it a try.

While the car was getting serviced, I was constantly monitoring the products they are using. Luckily I got hold of the 3M Ac disinfectant and cleaning Can, MRP on it was 487 rupees only ( I clicked the pic). I asked the 3M guy how much does it cost, he replied 1000 rupees only. I let him do the job watching closely what all he was doing with it. As mentioned by other BHPians, it was an easy task of spraying the foam inside the vents and then switching on the blower while keeping a cloth in front to catch any dust particles . This guy after spraying started leaving when I stopped him and asked what else is needed to be done, he replied with " bas itna he" ( that's all).
Clearly these are untrained 3M guys who are sitting in these authorised show rooms to dupe the customers.

While this was going on, I checked this forum thread and read about it.

During billing I asked the service advisor that I would like to meet the manager. During our meeting I told him regarding my experience and asked him why they are charging 1180/- ( 1000+ tax) for a can which costs only 487/- . I even asked him why Nissan is allowing 3M to cheat customers like this. I told him that if Nissan wants to charge for labour to do this little job, it should be nominal amount and the person should know the process of doing it properly as well.
He apologised and said he will rectify the mistake and generate the bill again. They did not charge me anything for this 3M product.

I am definitely going to write to the customer care of Nissan about this. I am pretty sure lot of people must have already done it too.

This thread started couple of years back, so I guess 3M is having a good time in these authorised service centres for a long time now. Even though they have really good products, I am never going to get any 3M job done at Nissan service centre.
ripy002 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 10:27   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripy002 View Post
Hi,
This thread started couple of years back, so I guess 3M is having a good time in these authorised service centres for a long time now. Even though they have really good products, I am never going to get any 3M job done at Nissan service centre.
Yes 3M (or some 3M distributors) are having a gala time at the service centers. What you experienced at Nissan is also prevalent at Honda Service Centers. I had read the thread before I was approached for this and hence I politely refused anything of this sort. I only get regular service work done (Oil Change at regular intervals, Break Pads checking, Filter Checking and replace if required and so on). Not faced any issues with the car so far

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks