Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 15:42   #1
BHPian

My experience at VW Mumbai West (Autobahn)

I got the annual servicing of my GT TSI (45000 kms) done at the newly opened VW Mumbai West workshop at Goregaon. I had a horrible experience 2 months back at VW Mumbai East (also run by Autobahn), and was a bit wary. I took my car to Goregaon only because I knew the SA (who had moved there from Automark). Here is my experience:

Good:
  1. Timely delivery: In spite of the fact that I took my car in on a Saturday morning (after a telephonic confirmation from the SA - NO appointment), the car was ready in 6 hours. I requested to pick the car up at 4:30 PM. It was ready at 4 PM!
  2. Spacious and clean premises: especially compared to the earlier setup at Andheri East (run by Automark). Plenty of space for customer parking, huge workshop floor, dedicated washing area.

Bad:
  1. You need to question every item on the estimate invoice at the time of dropping the car off. I told the SA to drop the usual suspects like AC disinfectant, alignment and balancing, etc. even before looking at the invoice. Little did I know that Autobahn has moved on: When I saw the invoice, I saw beauties such as "brake cleaning" (Rs 750), "lubricant spray" (Rs 300), and "cleaner" (I forget the amount - it was ~Rs 200). I asked him to drop all three.
  2. You need to question every item on the final invoice at the time of picking up your car. My old friend "lubricant spray" was back! When I pointed it out to the SA, he agreed that it was an error on the technician's part and called him to get it removed. While we were waiting for the invoice to be updated, I took one more look at the invoice and saw a new face - "consumable" for Rs 500! When I asked the SA about this, he told me that the technician punches in this item for every job card. I refused to accept this explanation, and demanded to speak with the service manager. The SA must have sensed that I would create a scene, so he dropped it right away. I ended up paying Rs 8,441 against the original invoice value of Rs 9,381.
TheLizardKing is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 15:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My experience at VW Mumbai West (Autobahn)

This thread is about upselling and earlier today, I read about the fuel system fraud (VW Dealer Scam! Elite Motors Bangalore wanted to change my entire fuel system).

The typical VW dealer's attitude is, our new cars aren't selling, so we might as well fleece existing VW owners to pay our bills. We've seen this with Skoda as well earlier.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 15:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The typical VW dealer's attitude is, our new cars aren't selling, so we might as well fleece existing VW owners to pay our bills. We've seen this with Skoda as well earlier.
Unfortunately, this is not only limited to VW. Every time I visit the Honda ASC here in Ranchi, I am ripped off one way or the other.

I had my Civic going in for regular service and the estimate they gave me was for 13K!

On looking closely, there were stuff like greasing of door hinges for...hold on your breath...Rs 800/-. On asking about this exorbitant charge for just applying grease to doors, they enlightened me that how good the Honda 'synthetic' grease is and how magically it will transform the way the doors close! Thank you I said but no thanks. Got that ticked off the list. Further they have jacked up the service charges to Rs. 3300/- which includes strictly the following jobs:

1. Washing
2. Labour charges for changing engine oil
3. Labour charges for changing gear oil
4. Labour charges for checking/ replacing the air filter
5. Checking the brake fluid level (only checking, not topping up)
6. Labour charges for Changing Coolant (and surprise surprise, have you guys ever heard of ASC running out of coolant??)

I could get all this done outside for Rs. 700-800 except for washing. (In fact we did get the same done a couple of days ago for my cousin's Civic including brake caliper greasing for Rs. 700/-).

During my previous visit an year ago or so, they included brake caliper greasing in that service charge, but they had charged me Rs. 1000 for caliper greasing separately this time! They charged me for the coolant change labour but the ASC had no coolant in store! They asked me to get it done once coolant is available and promised that labour would not be charged again. Wow, thank you!

And I must share that I caught the service guy just opening and greasing one caliper pin (there are two on each brake set) and telling me its done. I asked him to open and show me the grease on the other pin to which he sheepishly admits that he was just going to do it. I noticed a tear on the driveshaft rubber boot (which ideally the service guys should have noticed) and the service guys advised me to change the entire L+R drive shaft assembly for about Rs. 50,000/-.

I think I am done with them now.

Not to sideline with Maruti here but they are literally angels compared to my experiences with Honda.

Last edited by saket77 : 11th December 2018 at 15:48.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 16:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Unfortunately, this is not only limited to VW. Every time I visit the Honda ASC here in Ranchi, I am ripped off one way or the other.
Agree, even Toyota does this but they don't do this bad. Every time they explain each and every item in estimate and ask me if it is needed or not. Heck, last time even wheel alignment and balancing was in list and asked me if I need them? Ford(Cauvery Ford Mangalore) on the flipside just does what is needed. None of the extra's are pushed.
Old 11th December 2018, 16:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
I got the annual servicing of my GT TSI (45000 kms) done at the newly opened VW Mumbai West workshop at Goregaon. I had a horrible experience 2 months back at VW Mumbai East (also run by Autobahn), and was a bit wary. I took my car to Goregaon only because I knew the SA (who had moved there from Automark). Here is my experience:
Wow! Just when I plan to call up the new VW service centre at Goregaon for an appointment for the 75000 km service ( actual reading - 35000 km), I see this thread. Thanks a ton TheLizardKing for these valuable inputs. I will keep this in mind to avoid getting fleeced .

Can you help me with the name of the SA and his mobile?

Last edited by aah78 : 11th December 2018 at 23:22. Reason: Post fixed, - typos. Quote size edited.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks