Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 16:42   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Dealer Scam! Elite Motors Bangalore wanted to change my entire fuel system

Elite Motors Hosur Rd, Singasandra. Volkswagen Dealer. FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN/REPLACE SCAM!!!

I had given my Volkswagen Vento for small running repairs on 3rd December 2018. For a job, which takes hardly one hour, they kept the vehicle for 3 days. That - Can be forgiven since I didn't have an appointment.

HOWEVER, the 3rd day, after finishing the work I wanted, and leaving a lot pending, the service advisor called me and said that when they went for a road test, there was minor jerking and missing in the car (which was not there when I gave it) & when they checked they found metal particles in the fuel (They say). As a solution, they were asking to remove clean and/or replace the entire fuel system!!!!!!!.....

I asked them to stop doing whatever they are doing until I reach there. And when I reached there, and started the car, there was indeed missing & jerking!. I somehow felt this is because of air in fuel.

I called in a foreman, took the tools in my hand and started bleeding the fuel system one by one. The lines to the diesel filter, the lines from the diesel filter, the lines to the high-pressure pump, the lines to the rail, and each of the injectors.

Took me hardly 30 mins and once the air was out of the system there was absolutely NO PROBLEM with the car!!!... The engine was running as smoothly as it should. It's around 500 kms after the incident and the car is running as good as it should be. How did the air get into the system? When there was no associated work, and also there was atleast half a tank of diesel.

THEY TRIED TO SCAM ME INTO REMOVING and CLEANING/REPLACING my entire fuel system, which might have costed me in lacs!!!.. . All this when there was absolutely no problem with the vehicle!!!..

Last edited by GTO : 11th December 2018 at 07:46. Reason: Minor typo
dhanushs is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 18:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Vento: Fuel system clean-up. Dealer suggesting Rs. 2.5 lakh replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Elite Motors Hosur Rd, Singasandra. Volkswagon Dealer. FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN/REPLACE SCAM!!!
======
THEY TRIED TO SCAM ME INTO REMOVING and CLEANING/REPLACING my entire fuel system, which might have costed me in lacs!!!.. . All this when there was absolutely no problem with the vehicle!!!..
Jeez! this is such a scam. Have you reported this incident with VW directly? If not, I think you should. These dealerships are becoming more and more unreliable these days. Just 2 weeks back I was conned for brake overhaul for my nephews Spark by the Trident workshop here in Bangalore. This inspite of having a service advisor whom a close friend referred.

Double the reason to stay with your car during service!
Jaggu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Elite Motors Hosur Rd, Singasandra. Volkswagon Dealer. FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN/REPLACE SCAM!!!
So they were ready to show you metal particles in the fuel!
Better get the tank cleaned.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
According to Elite motors in Singasandra (Bangalore), the fuel system has to be replaced as the fuel tank contains small shiny silvery particles
Quote:
when they went for a road test, there was minor jerking and missing in the car (which was not there when I gave it) & when they checked they found metal particles in the fuel (They say). As a solution, they were asking to remove clean and/or replace the entire fuel system!!!!!!!.....
Wow, the diagnosis and suggested solutions are so identical. Looks like this scam is their regular cash cow.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wow, the diagnosis and suggested solutions are so identical. Looks like this scam is their regular cash cow.
Do you guys think they are able to create/simulate this "problem" ? With Dhanush's car - it was like that when he gave the car in, but the problem appeared sometime during the 3 days the car was there with the ASS
Old 11th December 2018, 00:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
So they were ready to show you metal particles in the fuel!
Better get the tank cleaned.

Regards
Sutripta
I would really like your take on this since they did show me the photo.

I'm not sure what to deduce from this photo!

VW Dealer Scam! Elite Motors Bangalore wanted to change my entire fuel system-e223ce5889354f138a94c5930d5afe9a.jpg

The car has no issue of jerking or missing, and this is very far away and unrelated from the problems I wanted to be sorted out. Also, I'm very picky about where I refuel. Again, there is no issue with the car even after a good number of kilometres after this fiasco.
dhanushs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 07:48   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Dealer Scam! Elite Motors Bangalore wanted to change my entire fuel system

Thanks for sharing, Dhanush! Moving your post to a new thread so that other VW owners aren't taken for a ride.

The only reason you caught this is because you are so technically adept. God knows how many Vento owners have already been suckered.

Related Thread (VW Vento: Fuel system clean-up. Dealer suggesting Rs. 2.5 lakh replacement)
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 08:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Dealer Scam! Elite Motors Bangalore wanted to change my entire fuel system

I too had a same experience last week, there was a fuel leak from my Duster and vehicle was jerking and stopping. I drilled down to the root cause and requested Renault’s RSA to tow my vehicle. Initially the technician tried to tell me the typical fuel injector and fuel pump story. I politely told him to replace only the faulty part and return the vehicle. I have shared my experience in Renault 110PS Fuel Injector issues thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...r-issue-4.html (Renault Duster 110 PS - Fuel Injector Issue)

Last edited by deehunk : 11th December 2018 at 08:03.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 08:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wow, just when you start considering a VW car such story crop up and makes me avoid them like plague.

This is due to inherent callous nature of VW has towards it's dealers.
I will recommend you to report it to VW and get their response. This will show how effective are they against their dealers.
Old 11th December 2018, 09:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is this the same Elite motors who have Ford dealership and service in Whitefield? I had only bad experiences with them during my Ford days.
Old 11th December 2018, 09:07   #11
BHPian

Well if they are reading, they just lost a potential customer. I was exploring buying a GT TSI this dec. but now have other thoughts.
Old 11th December 2018, 17:31   #12
BHPian

It breaks my heart every time I hear of such an experience. VW and Skoda make such good cars that it is a shame that they can't get their A.S.S. act in shape. From my experience over the last five years (I own two VW vehicles), the root cause seems to be the inability/unwillingness of VW to discipline its dealers. I suspect it is inability, given VW's volumes and market share in India.

Your best bet during the warranty period is to identify ONE good workshop and form a relationship with ONE good SA there. Even in that case, you will still get fleeced unless you keep your eyes and ears open...

Once out of warranty, run like hell to a good FNG. Most are able to procure OE VW parts. Just to give you an example: The authorized workshop gave me a quote of Rs 60,000 when I wanted to get the entire suspension of my GT TSI replaced. I am getting it done at an FNG this weekend for Rs 25,000.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 19:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Neither can I! Never looked into a fuel tank with a borescope. (Which is what I think is being done here).

But if they are intelligent, would not put it past them to deliberately introduce some metal filings in the tank. It would be safe to clean it out.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th December 2018, 20:00   #14
BHPian

This is highway robbery!

However, in my experience, other than a few mechanics at the AS*, most have below intelligence skills in diagnosis. I have to be by my car every time I service it to make sure they dont do nonsense.

In my recent service on my Elite i20 at Trident Motors, I found that the mechanic who did the previous service threw away the shims that keep the brake pads level. During that service, I questioned him on it and he put it back on and he did (with a sour face). However, I didn't realize that he didn't do it on the other side (despite telling me that he did).

During the service this month, the mechanic who worked on the car told me the right side shim is missing. In all fairness, he tried to locate the shim from some old brake pads but they didn't fit mine. Hence, I had to spend Rs.1600 to change a perfectly good set of brake pads only to get the shims (as they come with the complete set).
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 20:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1826725
Where is this diesel taken from?
If someone introduced metal filings this big in the tank it shouldnt come up past the screen at the fuel pump and definitely not after the diesel filter.

There are cases of hpfp failing on this motor which introduces metal filings like this. Especially on early models.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks