Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 19:07   #1
BHPian

Charged extra for RTO tax & billed for paper folder after buying a Tata Harrier from KHT, Bangalore

I would like to share my experience with KHT, whitefield, Bangalore after purchasing Tata Harrier XZ. I had booked the vehicle after paying an amount of 30,000 INR on 26th Jan after test driving the vehicle the previous day. I can clearly say that it was not because of amazing salesmanship that I booked the car, but it was just because of the Harrier package. Clearly I had already decided to buy the car just by the looks of the vehicle. I have no regrets on this purchase, but I wish I had chosen a different dealer.

Before delivery of the vehicle, I had specifically requested that I don't want the basic accessories package of 8500 INR, for which KHT whitefield includes a floor mat, mudflaps which cost 970 INR, a car perfume and an idol. It seemed the basic accessories package is just a tactic from KHT to easily make an easy buck. I have heard that other dealerships allow the customer to select accessories, which is the correct thing to do.

After my company leasing company released the payment to KHT, I got delivery of the vehicle on 23rd March, and during this procedure, one of the senior staff provided me a paper folder which neatly contained the insurance and the registration papers, and also a car perfume and cross idol. And the keys were handed over to me, and I was a very happy customer. Before driving away I had requested that I pay for the mud-flaps but the SA told that they would deduct that from the booking amount of 30,000 INR and return the balance. When I had asked the process for getting the refund of the booking amount, they said that I just need to send a mail to them.

After 2 days, on 25th March, the sales manager calls me and says that the MD of the company would like to provide a gift for me, since I purchased the Harrier from them, and had taken my home address and told that I would receive the gift in a week. In my mind I assumed it would be the Harrier scale model which a lot of other customers had received.

The same week I also sent an email requesting for the refund. After 2 weeks, only after threatening to escalate did the GM of KHT, whitefield who was in cc from the first email, requests someone to check the issue. Then the SA had called me and requested me to send certain details in a specific format, and I did get a reply that the cheque was ready the next week.

On 23rd April, I was expecting the cheque to be of 29,000 INR, after deducting the price for the mud-flaps, but it was 27,500 INR. I felt that they made the mistake of deducting the 2500 INR for cancelling a booking. When I had asked for more details on deducted amount, they showed me in writing on the refund request form, which said 1000 INR for road tax excess and 1500 INR for accessories. I had requested that they send the details of both.

Charged extra for RTO tax & billed for paper folder after buying a Tata Harrier from KHT, Bangalore-roadtaxexcessmod.jpg

The next day I got an accessories bill, which contained the mud flaps, the car perfume and the cross idol which I never asked for, and the paper folder in which they had filed the insurance and the registration documents. I had no issues with the car perfume and cross idol even though I had never asked for it, but for a paper folder, that’s just too cheap.

Charged extra for RTO tax & billed for paper folder after buying a Tata Harrier from KHT, Bangalore-untitled.png

Now I write another email on 26th April demanding that I get the details on the road tax excess, and why they only informed me on the road tax excess on 23rd April when the payment for the road tax was done on 21st March. I also inquired about the so called gift a month after they called and told me about it. Now again the GM requests that the CRM talk to me, and she calls me immediately and promises that she'll send me the details of the road tax excess and send me the courier details on the gift the next day. Now after a week, I don't get a response, and send another email reminding the CRM of her action items, and then she sends the accessories list which I had already received last month. They did send me a plaque from Tata motors welcoming me as the 963rd member of the Harrier family, But this was from Tata motors, not from KHT as such.

After more emails and not getting any response regarding the road tax excess, I raised a complaint with Tata motors, and in that email chain the GM of KHT motors shares a circular in Kannada dated on 06/03/2019 that there is an extra CESS for 4 wheelers of 1000 INR. But this was already part of the invoice from the RTO, and it was paid for. On further probing, he states that the proforma invoice provided to me didn't account for this, and based on the proforma invoice the payment was done by the leasing company. On further inspection, I did realize that there was a difference of 240 INR between the proforma invoice and the RTO invoice, but still doesn't account for the 1000 INR road tax excess which they had deducted. The GM of the company also mentions in that email, that nothing comes for free, and that every penny needs to be saved for the dealer, and this he stated in an email with Tata customer care, and Tata Karnataka regional manager in loop. He also states that if I refund the amount for the cross idol and paper folder if I return it.

I started following up on this 1000 INR road tax difference, and then continued on that, and realized that I have wasted so much time on this, and still not got any answer from this dealership. Lesson learnt.

Why I will never recommend this dealership to buy a Tata or another car:
• They charged me for a paper folder after buying the Tata Harrier XZ for 16.25Lakhs.
• They had deducted amount from my booking amount stating road tax excess and informed me after a month after I got delivery of the car.
• Till date even after raising a complaint with Tata, they have not been able to answer correctly the road tax excess deducted.
• They are unresponsive after you buy a car from them.
• They called me stating that KHT would be providing me a gift, and it actually required following up after a month to actually get that gift, and then realize that it was not from KHT, but from Tata. I have already lost my own self respect after requesting for a gift.
• It's very clear from the reply from the GM of KHT whitefield, that saving every penny and being unresponsive to customers who have already purchased a car is the motto of the company.
• The number plates which they provide are of very cheap quality, and I'll be replacing them.

Again I would like to mention, that I love my Harrier, and very happy with this car. I'm happy with KHT service center in Mahadevapura as well. But still recommend strongly not to buy from this dealership. The issue raised by me is very trivial, but it really boils my blood when I don't get any response from them after buying a car from them. And if they can be so cheap to save a few bucks, I just can wonder what else they can do to our cars before we purchase a car from them.

Sorry for a long post on a trivial issue.

Last edited by micraft : 16th May 2019 at 19:08. Reason: fixed typo on the title
micraft is offline   (94) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 19:24   #2
BHPian

re: Charged extra for RTO tax & billed for paper folder after buying a Tata Harrier from KHT, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
I started following up on this 1000 INR road tax difference, and then continued on that, and realized that I have wasted so much time on this, and still not got any answer from this dealership. Lesson learnt.
Has Tata not done anything about this? I would suggest not leaving at this and escalate to Tata Motors directly.

Something similar happened to me and I asked the Sales Manager, suppose hypothetically speaking I pay 'One Rupee' lesser than the invoice amount, would you release the delivery of my vehicle to which obviously he said 'No Sir'. I then asked what makes him think the refund amount is less etc.

Try the same with Tata Motors and ask for compensation for the mental harassment caused to you.
mpp19 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 19:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Charged extra for RTO tax & billed for paper folder after buying a Tata Harrier from KHT, Bangalore

I had a run in with KHT 18 months back. We had just purchased the Nexon and all accessories were not available with Adishakti, so like a collector, I picked up a few things here and there, wherever they were available ie. from Concorde and Prerana. The side step, costing 15K was only available with KHT. So I go to the ring road dealership, and after numerous trips, they send me to Mahadevapura. Now, I'm hesitant to put anything on my car lest they mess with the handling or damage the chassis. But they lied to me that they have installed this footrest on another car, and I went there anyway. They struggled the whole day to install it and it was clear they did not have any knowledge. I was getting anxious and the mechanic was getting angry with me. He wanted another day. I just took my car out of there and dashed a mail to TataMotors. One, Mr Prashanth (ASM) intervened and asked me to take my car back and ensured it was fitted properly, after having tested it on a demo car. When they billed they had included Tax and Fitting charges, which I refused to pay. After a long discussion, they backed out and I got a discount too, thanks to Mr Prashanth. Never stepped there again!
Sebring is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 19:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The GM of the company also mentions in that email, that nothing comes for free, and that every penny needs to be saved for the dealer, and this he stated in an email with Tata customer care, and Tata Karnataka regional manager in loop. He also states that if I refund the amount for the cross idol and paper folder if I return it.
Whoa! Never thought a dealer would charge for document folder. People get accessories worth thousands for free and this dealer charges for a complimentary document folder?

I bought a bicycle and the retailer gave me a complimentary bag from his own and the bicycle was 0.75% of what you paid. I'm sure that bag was costly than the folder.

If they're so concerned about saving every penny, then they should start charging for registration plate as well as 5 Litre fuel they provide with the car. Even the air they top up in tyres.
batish is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 20:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ... I'm happy with KHT service center in Mahadevapura as well. ... ... ...
Recurring under-warranty service is a revenue stream for dealers that goes on after selling the car. Do not give it to the dealer that you are not happy with.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 10:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before delivery of the vehicle, I had specifically requested that I don't want the basic accessories package of 8500 INR, for which KHT Whitefield includes a floor mat, mudflaps which cost 970 INR, a car perfume and an idol. It seemed the basic accessories package is just a tactic from KHT to easily make an easy buck. I have heard that other dealerships allow the customer to select accessories, which is the correct thing to do.
I forget why dealerships do this. While yes, accessories are a lucrative business with high margins, there will always be customers who buy more than that and some who buy nothing at all. In the end, it evens out. There is no reason to get greedy. Before setting up a dealership, I'm pretty sure all owners knew what they were getting into.

Quote:
...The SA told that they would deduct that from the booking amount of 30,000 INR and return the balance. When I had asked the process for getting the refund of the booking amount, they said that I just need to send a mail to them.
Both as a customer and as a salesman, let me tell you, the 'paying by customer' part is always expected to be immediately, urgently (or we'll give car to others, etc.) but when it comes to a refund, it is always a hassle. Don't know why dealerships do this.

Quote:
After 2 days, on 25th March, the sales manager calls me and says that the MD of the company would like to provide a gift for me, since I purchased the Harrier from them, and had taken my home address and told that I would receive the gift in a week.
Classic case of left hand not knowing what the right is doing. The manager must have told someone to look into it who in turn must have asked someone who forgot all about it. And in all this mess, no one bothered to follow up.

Quote:
The next day I got an accessories bill, which contained the mud flaps, the car perfume and the cross idol which I never asked for, and the paper folder in which they had filed the insurance and the registration documents. I had no issues with the car perfume and cross idol even though I had never asked for it, but for a paper folder, that’s just too cheap.
I think this is the highest low I have ever seen in any retail space. The local vegetable chap I goto gives a bag (cloth now, post the plastic ban) even for 0.5 kg of potatoes. And this dealer wants to charge for a folder!!
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

I can understand your angst, but buddy its 0.1% odd the cost of your new car. Enjoy the Harrier rather than bothering about the paper folder they charged you for, and just find a better dealer to take care of you in the service department. Don't intend to sound insensitive, and sorry if I do.
Akshay1234 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:26   #8
BHPian

Congratulations for your purchase. Rs.70 is too much small amount to bother with and do not think into it much because it may amplify to bad ownership feeling.

Think this way, this is because of their ERP software these minor details are captured in their dealer expenses.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 17th May 2019 at 11:27.
sushantr5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

While they should provide an explanation on road tax, I don't think there is anything wrong in charging for paper folder. While you may call them stingy, but its their money and they have every right for same. I think its time for you to enjoy the car and forgive these minor irritations.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 12:12   #10
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong in charging for paper folder. While you may call them stingy, but its their money and they have every right for same.
How is that within their right to sell something without the buyer even knowing he is buying it? The OP did not ask for the folder. If the dealership cant afford it within their business margin, let them not give it at all. It is like a sales man giving his business card and the final car purchase invoice having Rs 5/- towards printing and handing over the business card.
tud is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 12:13   #11
BHPian

I have brought a Fiat before when Tata-Fiat partnership was in place. The KHT sales team in my experience is not professional. I had actually booked at KHT but later shifted to Prerana at Lalbagh road though it's very far from my home. Prerana was more professional than KHT in my experience.
Though the KHT service station in Mahadevapura is good, I would suggest that you don't give any more business to KHT. Charging for a paper folder for a 20 Lakhs car is a new low. Let KHT loose thousands for that paltry 60 rs.
amit1agrawal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 12:38   #12
BHPian

KHT charging me for a paper folder didn't bother me enough to actually raise a concern with Tata, or this forum. It was the 1000 INR road tax excess which they deducted from my booking amount, and how they never bothered to clarify on what basis they have deducted that amount, and after that not responding to me regarding the details on the road tax excess after multiple reminders which eventually lead me to raising a complaint with Tata.

Frankly it's not even about the 1000 INR, but it is how KHT had the capability to deduct an amount from the booking amount, and they had the audacity to promise to provide the details the next day, and never respond at all for 2 weeks even after multiple reminders.

After raising a complaint with Tata regarding the road tax excess, this statement of the GM of KHT in an email response to me and Tata customer care, forced me to raise this issue on this forum. Here is what he has written in that email.

Charged extra for RTO tax & billed for paper folder after buying a Tata Harrier from KHT, Bangalore-khtresponse.jpg

Regarding the proforma invoice provided to the leasing company not having the additional CESS which he responded which is also not completely correct. The proforma invoice had the road tax of 308,938INR and the RTO invoice is of 309,175INR, i.e. a difference of 237INR and not 1000INR. For me it's ok if you have charged extra, intentionally or accidentally, but when I demand the details they should take the effort to understand what went wrong, and let me know. First of all they should have informed me that there was an excess the day the Road tax was paid, not after a month when I come to get the refund. Even now he has not responded regarding accurately regarding the road tax excess. Even if he plans to give back the difference of 763 INR, I don't want it. After I replied with these details, he has requested that I meet him in person, and responded telling that I clearly understand his principles which he upholds in KHT, and not interested in discussing with him.

The response from the GM clearly justifies the attitude of all the staff in KHT as well.
micraft is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 12:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
While they should provide an explanation on road tax, I don't think there is anything wrong in charging for paper folder. While you may call them stingy, but its their money and they have every right for same. I think its time for you to enjoy the car and forgive these minor irritations.
It is absolutely fine to charge for any service or product that a dealer provides, but it does not make good sense to do it so blatantly

Dealerships most probably include costs of such freebies and other small stuff like stationery into their accessories cost, handling charges etc. This particular dealer probably is not smart enough to do this or just doesn't care about what the customer will think or feel about such laughable charges.

The current domestic car sales slow-down should have kept the dealers on their toes.
silvercloud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 12:56   #14

Quote:

After raising a complaint with Tata regarding the road tax excess, this statement of the GM of KHT in an email response to me and Tata customer care, forced me to raise this issue on this forum. Here is what he has written in that email.

Attachment 1876769

That is an atrocious response! The attitude is sick, sometimes we really dont know if we're the customer or a beneficiary of their charity. I strongly suggest you to avoid that dealer for future services and pick another T.A.S.S with a better rating.
Pavan A K is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 13:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Your case reminds me of a similar incident few years ago. A friend had pre booked two iPhones, I dont remember was it the 5 or 6 with Reliance Digital. Soon they called saying that the phones were in stock and that he can pick them up. I accompanied my friend to the store.

So at the billing counter my friend paid Rs. 1 lakh in cash for the phones. After the payment the guy at the counter asked if we needed a carry bag to which we replied in the affirmative. Then they guy goes ' Sir that will be 5 rupees for the bag' (carry bags are chargeable)

To this I laughed and asked him "We just paid you a lakh and you want 5 bucks for a carry bag?" The dude got embarrassed and gave us the bag FOC.

Didn't mean to go off topic but sometimes you come across such specimens. Don't let it take away the joy of you new car. Enjoy your new Harrier
Dippy is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks