Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 09:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Porsche India looking for a dealership; Mumbai Center is currently operating out of a hotel room!

Even though the market is in a freeze right now, I would have believed that a niche sports/luxury car maker would find space in the financial capital of our country. Enough number of potential buyers would be there in Mumbai who wouldn't really be affected by this slowdown apart from a temporary phenomenon. And then there is the whole entertainment industry based there. It is surprising that Porsche should struggle for even survival in such circumstances. Why can't they come up with their own dealership, something on lines of COCO? For a luxury brand, is running a showroom in one of the biggest markets in India not lucrative?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 10:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Porsche India looking for a dealership; Mumbai Center is currently operating out of a hotel room!

Operating from Trident is not a new thing for Porsche Mumbai. Back then in 2005 when they entered India they initially started operating from a Suite in the Trident. I had even gone there to pick up a few brochures and check out the 911 in the basement. This is the famous Shreyans Motors before the showroom came up at Peddar Road.

So I guess everything has come a full circle and they are back in a hotel suite for business.

On the other hand I feel Lamborghini has done quite well for themselves. They are now on their third dealership but they do have a nice showroom even now. Lamborghinis is easily the highest selling supercar brand in India currently. Just look at the number of Huracans on road today, not to mention the Urus.
Dippy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
See what I mean? The idiotic Indian company doesn't even have its own website. We're part of the "middle east" portal Search for Chennai on their stupid website and it guides you to Bangalore:
Let's give the Chennai search to them, it is much closer than Middle East.
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:20   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, that comes as a real surprise to me. I wonder what led to this. Existing dealers closing down swanky showrooms and moving into cost effective and make-shift solutions! Obviously that's a reflection on the overall sales performance of the brand vis-a-vis company's expectations and readiness to invest into dealers for sustainability of the showrooms it seems. Quite a weird dynamic though. I wonder how the potential customers would find this experience. Someone ready to spend millions of rupees would be entitled to a world class experience in the showroom. The way this setup is, they'd probably feel NEXA gives better on the experience front (the visual aspects)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Yes. Porsche operates out of the Trident Hotel (Nariman Point) now. The Prabhadevi showroom has been split into two now. One part is an MG showroom and the other is an HSBC branch.
Wow - just another example of China's dominance. Literally kicking out "western capitalist" business and sharing the trophy pieces left behind.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:38   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just heard that Jubilant (Mumbai Porsche dealer) is ditching Porsche and might be taking over Audi Mumbai South .
Old 11th June 2020, 14:43   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just heard that Jubilant (Mumbai Porsche dealer) is ditching Porsche and might be taking over Audi Mumbai South .
Given that both brands are ultimately within the same group, this is probably more like a negotiated deal than a contentious termination of the Porsche dealership? Unless the respective management literally operate completely independently of each other, which I find difficult to imagine in such a situation at least.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 15:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sad, really sad, because it remains one of my favourite sports car brands.
And therein lies the problem.

Once the Porsche bug bites, you tend overlook a lot of its management shortcomings as the car can make you gloss over it.

The Bangalore dealer has an apology for a showroom and can display two cars with standing room left for one customer and half a sales guy.

In comparison the Cochin showroom can display more than 8 cars. Don't know how this equation works.

But even their corporate office in Mumbai falls in line with this trend. They don't have one. VW have given them a few tables and chairs to sit and work.

Maybe it's a top down thing. Why should the dealer have an office when we don't have one?
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 09:26   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
So I guess everything has come a full circle and they are back in a hotel suite for business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Unless the respective management literally operate completely independently of each other, which I find difficult to imagine in such a situation at least.
I would guess that Audi & Porsche would both defend their turf (err, dealers) vigorously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Once the Porsche bug bites, you tend overlook a lot of its management shortcomings as the car can make you gloss over it.
True. But any & all luxury brands need "presence" and "showcasing". With no showrooms right now - and continuously changing outlets otherwise - there is a major brand disconnect.

Quote:
The Bangalore dealer has an apology for a showroom and can display two cars with standing room left for one customer and half a sales guy.
Have pictures?

Quote:
But even their corporate office in Mumbai falls in line with this trend. They don't have one. VW have given them a few tables and chairs to sit and work.
But then, with the kind of dismal sales numbers Porsche is doing, maybe they deserve it (the lack of a proper office).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 10:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. But any & all luxury brands need "presence" and "showcasing". With no showrooms right now - and continuously changing outlets otherwise - there is a major brand disconnect.
True. You just don't feel comfortable about buying a brand that does not have a presence in an area where you reside. Especially a sport luxury brand.

Quote:
Have pictures?
Here you go..it actually is a lot worse than this pic makes it out to be. Bang outside the glass are main roads on either side which give you no room for parking - very limiting for a luxury brand.

Porsche India looking for a dealership; Mumbai Center is currently operating out of a hotel room!-1image.jpeg

Quote:
But then, with the kind of dismal sales numbers Porsche is doing, maybe they deserve it (the lack of a proper office).
This is an interesting situation because out of VW's total profits of $15.6 billion, Porsche have contributed $4.75 billion.

The India sales numbers have probably got a lot to do with their internal corporate thinking. The Cayenne and Macan have been rolled out only to fork more money into developing their mainstream sports cars.

They don't seem to pay too much attention to selling the SUV's which have been put together by dipping into the VW parts bin whereas the sports cars have almost nothing in common (except maybe for the headlight switch).

It is the sports cars have made Porsche the most profitable luxury brand in the world as well heeled customers don't mind paying money for the cars and hugely over priced (read more profits) options and accessories.

India doesn't probably figure too much on their radar just yet which is probably reason the anomalies exist.

Last edited by AMG Power : 12th June 2020 at 10:34.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 10:56   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
It is the sports cars have made Porsche the most profitable luxury brand in the world..
I am not sure about this. In fact, Porsche was close to shutting down during 993/996 days. It got a new lease of life only because of introduction of Cayanne SUV and collaboration with VW. It is the Macan and Cayanne models that bring the big money (and volume). Of course, their sports cars work wonders on the brand appeal to help selling their SUVs.

Porsche has to do just one "Jeep compass" thing in India. Stop being so greedy and import Macan at a more reasonable price along with some "package" of options to push Macan sales. MB/BMW,etc. do this routinely with certain models even if it means lower margins or absorbing losses. Porsche has to do this just for Macan so that dealerships become sustainable, the rest will follow automatically. Brand alone is not good enough, you must have a decent dealership network.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 11:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am not sure about this. In fact, Porsche was close to shutting down..
That was a long time ago...

The Porsche 911 is the most profitable car of 2019

Quote:
The most profitable car launched in the past year was not a Tesla. Nor was it some crazy hypercar. It was the new Porsche 911.

The 911 has accounted for nearly 30 percent of total Porsche earnings since it launched, even though it made up only 11 percent of sales, according to a recent report by Bloomberg Intelligence.

That percentage beats elite models such as the Ferrari F8 Tributo, Aston Martin DBX, Mercedes-Benz GLE, and BMW X5, each of which also punch above their weight when it comes to profit margins.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 11:44   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I misunderstood your post, yes I agree what you say about 911. I wanted to mention that Porsche of today makes more money from SUVs than from 911 though they carefully promote the 911 brand identity for obvious reasons.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 17:04   #28
BHPian

I love the brand Porsche and have been following it in india for a long time and hence know some quiet things which are not out in open.

I found out that Porsche Germany is serious about India and in fact Porsche has terminated the contract in Mumbai but it isn't a resignation. In the past, there were huge structures built and we all know that it is not sustainable in a place like Mumbai given the rental rates.

I hear that Mercedes Kalina and JLR Worli are getting out too. Porsche is expensive - thanks to the duty structure, Porsche can't do much. Backward calculation of Macan tells me that the price charged before duty will not be more than 25 lakhs that's slightly more expensive than a Jeep in India. So Porsche is already giving up a lot for India.

What I have observed in the last few years is that the brand has worked hard in india. Consider the buzz around GT3, GT2 RS etc., we could not have imagined a 911 R in India. In fact, during past 2 years, 911 at that price have sold more than 30 cars each annually and 718 sells around 80-100 cars. That, in my opinion, is phenomenal. Contrary to the views above, I know that very big dealers in Hyderabad and Chennai are strongly competing to represent Porsche in those territories. There has to be something in there that may be good that we don't know and these dealers know.

Porsche in Bengaluru is building a state of art 3S facility. Delhi is coming out with worlds 6th digital showroom. Kochi already has a state of art workshop. Kolkatta will be represented by their already successful Delhi dealer. All in all I see Porsche moving in the right direction. We shouldn't care how their office is as long as we get to enjoy some great cars on road and outstanding customer experience.

The Bengaluru 3S facility work under full swing
Attached Thumbnails
Porsche India looking for a dealership; Mumbai Center is currently operating out of a hotel room!-1591961986626.jpg  

Last edited by ajmat : 12th June 2020 at 21:18. Reason: Typos and grammar mistakes. Also made it easier to read
docaxe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 21:12   #29
Team-BHP Support

Re: Porsche India looking for a dealership; Mumbai Center is currently operating out of a hotel room

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am not sure about this. In fact, Porsche was close to shutting down during 993/996 days. It got a new lease of life only because of introduction of Cayanne SUV and collaboration with VW. It is the Macan and Cayanne models that bring the big money (and volume). Of course, their sports cars work wonders on the brand appeal to help selling their SUVs.
It was various things.

First job was to pull out from making losses

Their production system was outmoded and they had too much inventory and too much variation. Job 1 was rationalising it

Next stage was to introduce a cheaper car for the masses to get economies of scale, hence the Boxster which shared nearly 60% of parts with the 996. It took Porsche out of the red but they needed more volume - sports cars have limited demand.

Porsche were very close to signing a deal with Mercedes for ML underpinnings for the Cayenne but VW stole the show with the Toureg platform .

Rest was history!
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 08:04   #30
BHPian

Re: Porsche India looking for a dealership; Mumbai Center is currently operating out of a hotel room

Quote:
Well at least the separation confirmation is out finally.

Porsche India looking for a dealership; Mumbai Center is currently operating out of a hotel room!-img_0075.jpg

Last edited by nick.cs : 30th September 2020 at 08:06.
nick.cs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks