Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 09:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell & the art of car maintenance - Strongly recommended for lube changes & other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Well, not an issue IIRC. Just business practice. As long as they willingly oblige filling up mineral oil for the customers who request it. Caveat emptor
If they fill mineral oil in a car that asks for 0w16 god help the car . The shell guy won't care, he will happily push whatever is the most expensive oil he has regardless of what grade the car asks for, if he doesn't have the required grade in stock. Also all 5w30s or 5w40s aren't the same but that won't bother the shell guy either.

BTW someone else said they were billed for a 5 litre can when filling 3.xx litres in the car. If they hand over the unused oil in the can I guess that is fine, right?

It is not like you can get a can with the exact amount of oil required.

If they were filling oil from drums that is a different story, the exact amount required can be billed.

Last edited by hserus : 21st December 2020 at 09:49.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:25   #17
BHPian

Re: Shell outlets & the art of car maintenance - Strongly recommended for lube changes & other stuff

Hi,

Can anyone help me with locating a shell Pump in Mumbai? I do not recollect if I have seen one. The nearest would be in Thane. Or else, the best would be to get the service done during a Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai trip.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Shell outlets & the art of car maintenance - Strongly recommended for lube changes & other stuff

Shell boys will happily sell you whatever oil is the flavor of the day, they really do not care much at all what your vehicle`s engine needs.

Their business is based on the premise that OEM service centers are ripping you off (true in many cases) and we are an alternative, labor charge is free and you pay only for the oil. The oil is better than what your OEM service center is filling etc etc etc.

The only case for Shell is if you need an oil change for whatever reasons between your 2 scheduled service intervals, that is it.

An Alto 800`s maintenance inspection list is 3 pages long , you can be sure that is more than just oil and oil filter there.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:51   #19
BHPian

True that. I have been servicing my car in Shell for past 5 years.
I will get the MGA Oil Filter, Air Filter locally and change the Engine Oil, Coolant once a year. This will not take more than half hour. Few shell outlets also have car wash available and they handle the complete job professionally. As mentioned above, We should watch out with their product upsell.

Shell outlets & the art of car maintenance - Strongly recommended for lube changes & other stuff-screenshot-20201221-11.48.20-am.png
ash22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:08   #20
BHPian

Out of curiosity, is Shell oil (like to like, so mineral to mineral or synth to synth) really by default superior to that of say Indian Oil or BP? Is there some customer advocacy outfit that has done some tests or is this anecdotal?

As for me, yes I love using Shell, but I get the same degree of service and honesty in a HP and BP COCO nearby.

One big issue with Shell as far as I am concerned is that they somehow refuse to offer nitrogen filling, and it is a pain to fuel in one place and drive down to another bunk for nitrogen alone.
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:22   #21
BHPian

Was speaking to friend of mine who is a big boy in Shell and was asking him how Shell manages to ensure fuel quality. Below are the points he brought out

5 barriers are in place in Shell

1. 1st barrier, the fuel is filled at the refinery and once the truck is filled, the container is closed and sealed with a combination lock. This combination lock is monitored via satellites when the truck is moving. The combination lock is set by only one person and communicated to only the receiver. Both have to sign off
2. 2nd barrier. Continuous satellite monitoring of the truck
3. The diesel quality is tested at the source in the refinery and when received the same is tested at the receiving end and both have to have a tolerance of 0.1%. Both the tests are done using standard calibrated instruments that are certified for custody transfer purposes
4. 4th Barrier. The quality of the storage tanks are inspected and certified once every month
5. 5th and the last barrier. Once every 6 months or so there is an external audit
niranjanprabhu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
- Shell doesn't mind if the owners watch and even peek into the engine oil change process, they even encourage it as there'd be no complaints afterwards.
====
Personally I'm happy, no more snake-oil greasy salesmen walking up with a clip-board and writing E.O.R, B.D.C, E.O.A, dc (degreasing), dc (decarbonizing) etc etc without my permission.
I have been using Shell fuel for many years. A couple of years ago, the fuel station I regularly go to in Bangalore had a manager under training from my home state, Assam (who would go on to take charge in her state). She encouraged me to try out the lubricants. Since then, I have been using the lubricants as well.

I have noticed a significant difference in the car's performance, both with the fuel and lubricants, particularly on the highway. The car runs smoother, has better acceleration and less engine vibrations.

On the side note, my regular service station manager is quite upset and never fails to point our my 'betrayal' in getting the lubricants changed from 'outside'. I am assuming that the profit margins on the lubricants we are given in the authorised service stations are very high! :-)
Iksvaku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 15:19   #23
BHPian

Oil change at Shell doesn't work out with Honda cars because synthetic Engine oils for Honda is very well priced at ASS (~1800 rs for 3.6 litres) so its best done along with the periodic service
Old 21st December 2020, 15:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Out of curiosity, is Shell oil (like to like, so mineral to mineral or synth to synth) really by default superior to that of say Indian Oil or BP? Is there some customer advocacy outfit that has done some tests or is this anecdotal.
The additive package is likely to be superior and quality control in manufacturing is likely to be superior, even if shell too sources base oils from eg IOC’s refineries.
Old 21st December 2020, 15:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Can you please check with your friend if 'normal Shell petrol' can be filled into the 'Shell Power' storage, and dispensed? I had issues with few bunks (I come to know instantly if it's not POWER), and post complaining, the issue seemed resolved. Why does Shell take 30 days to investigate a customer complaint and revert? Wont the issue be 'managed' by then, by the agency? Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Was speaking to friend of mine who is a big boy in Shell and was asking him how Shell manages to ensure fuel quality

Last edited by Sebring : 21st December 2020 at 15:57.
Old 21st December 2020, 15:51   #26
BHPian

I totally agree with the aspects highlighted for Shell.

My out of warranty Dominar 400 gets Oil change, coolant topup etc basic service at a Shell which is just 500 meters from my residence. It is 30 minutes vs 6 hours deal (same job at Bajaj) for me

While my XUV500 is still under Warranty and gets serviced at Mahindra Service Centre, but I think I will get basic service done at Shell itself for it after the Warranty is over.

Disadvantages at Shell -
1. Don't expect any expertise beyond the oil/filters change
2. Sometimes the parts are not available
Old 21st December 2020, 15:55   #27
BHPian

AFAIK, the fuel requirement by all filling stations is picked up from a depot (small set up) or terminal (large set up) of their own (IOC, BPC, HPC). In some locations the facility of one is extended to others. In Bengaluru (can be corrected if i am wrong) Devangonthi is the terminal for IOC, BPC & HPC. The feed to these terminals are from Mangalore Refinery. This means that the fuel (MS & HSD) that each of them receive, is the same. Logically the fuel in either of the three retail outlets which derives their source from Devangonthi, would not differ.
I don't think that Shell (for the limited number of outlets that they have in and around Bengaluru) validates a terminal of their own and hence must be getting their feed from either IOC, BPC or HPC terminals. The stock fuel in Shell should therefore be the same if they are selling 91 octane (MS - Petrol). Shell V-Power is 99 Octane which is not normally sold by IOC, BPC & HPC. I know that BP offers 93 Octane and 97 Octane.

On another aspect, I am a little miffed with Shell that they refuse to clean the rear windscreen even when requested, saying that it is not in their process.
pariwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 16:00   #28
BHPian

Curious question, She’ll also sticks compatible Oil filters to replace during oil change?
Old 21st December 2020, 17:21   #29
BHPian

I find these guys extremely pushy, i've stopped at their Pune outlet multiple times for the Select outlet to pickup a cup of coffee & a bottle of water.

I did change engine oil once & have to say their oils are good. I still don't like to be pushed into buying something.
kkunal.shah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 17:51   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Curious question, She’ll also sticks compatible Oil filters to replace during oil change?
Compatible in the sense that it fits the vehicle, not necessarily OEM. They rely on local auto parts store - whatever they find there that fits your vehicle is my experience when a friend of mine tried an oil change there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks