Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 19:05   #31
ike
BHPian

Re: Shell outlets & the art of car maintenance - Strongly recommended for lube changes & other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post

Disadvantages at Shell -
1. Don't expect any expertise beyond the oil/filters change
2. Sometimes the parts are not available
Cost is a major concern. Shell charges MRP for it's products (lubricants & hard oils like coolants). The same oils are available at regular shops/Amazon at way less. The advantages with Shell fuel is that it is a lot cleaner, both the truck transporting it and the underground tank storing it is subject to QC checks. The fuel is derived from PSUs as others have pointed out, Shell does not have refining capabilities in India.

Last edited by ike : 21st December 2020 at 19:07.
ike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 19:15   #32
BHPian

Re: Shell outlets & the art of car maintenance - Strongly recommended for lube changes & other stuff

Quote:
While my XUV500 is still under Warranty and gets serviced at Mahindra Service Centre, but I think I will get basic service done at Shell itself for it after the Warranty is over.
If I'm not wrong, Mahindra Maximile Feo, that is used in the XUV 500 and comes packaged in a green can is made by Shell. Maybe that's why the oil change interval is 20000 km.
Zen Av8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 20:58   #33
BHPian

I recently purchased Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 fully Synthetic car Engine Oil (4 L) from Amazon, which retails around lot lesser (~Rs 2700) than the MRP(Rs 4900). If we add the labour charge which Amazon offers at Rs 450 (in Bangalore), total comes less than what we have to pay at Shell Fuel station.
Labour might be even lesser in small towns at FNG.
One advantage over OEM Service Center is that we get to see the oil change happen in front of us but we have to keep a vigil on the quantity of oil used and oil filter change.
jeygani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 21:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Cost is a major concern. Shell charges MRP for it's products....

... it is subject to QC checks.
While I am okay paying MRP in lieu of the time saved, I was not aware of the quality aspect. But aren't the Brand service centres also using Shell lubes from same/similar dram containers?
Old 21st December 2020, 21:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Av8r View Post
If I'm not wrong, Mahindra Maximile Feo, that is used in the XUV 500 and comes packaged in a green can is made by Shell. Maybe that's why the oil change interval is 20000 km.
You are right. But what sucks is almost whole day wasted for a basic service which hardly takes 1.5 hours of dedicated efforts.
Old 21st December 2020, 22:13   #36
ike
BHPian

Quote:
But aren't the Brand service centres also using Shell lubes from same/similar dram containers?
Shell retail stations don't have drums or other big containers like service stations. You can buy a smaller bottle (4L) and that's what goes into your car or bike. I don't trust oil that comes out of drums.

About service centres turn around times, if you look at the maintenance schedule there are more things to be done other than just changing the oil and filter. Shell retail doesn't have any expertise other than just draining the old oil and putting in new one.

Last edited by ike : 21st December 2020 at 22:16.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 22:28   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Cost is a major concern. Shell charges MRP for it's products (lubricants & hard oils like coolants). The same oils are available at regular shops/Amazon at way less.
ASC's which have oil in drums, buy oil at the bulk price - but still charge you at MRP only.

Regarding the oils being available at lesser prices online: you can check further on the amount of adulteration that happens in the lubricants business. It's huge. Getting oil from ASC or Shell is much safer.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 22:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

My BIL in Bangalore whenever goes to a Shell pump, calls me almost always as Shell guys tell him that the oil is ‘low’ and has completely degraded. This is with less than 6 months of change at Hyundai ASC and at the most run a couple of thousand kilometers. And that is my major grouse with them. My BIL is not very well versed with the technicalities of car and Shell guys always use scare tactics. Once they changed oil and charged around 6-7K. Not to mention, they sell at MRP and these oils are available on Amazon for a much better price.

Quality wise, I too conquer, Shell products are very good, so no issues on this front. Just that they push too much and unreasonably coupled with scare tactics; that’s the impression I get of their Modus operandi.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 22:59   #39
BHPian

The oil change at Shell is a nuisance at best and a scam at worst.

I stopped filling at Shell for their insistence to open the bonnet and check for oil , coolant etc. I used to tell them there was no need to open the bonnet or any check, but the reaction from them is as if I was committing a crime .I don't like negative vibes whenever I go to fill fuel.

Even if you take your car that is serviced 1000 km back , they will say oil is low or oil is degraded just by seeing the consistency on the hand. This is the scam part.

Second, they don't have the right oil specs for a long time and push whatever crap they have. They didn't have 5W30 for Figo until recently and used to push for 5W40. They don't have oil filters , overfill oil which can be a grave error that might lead to engine seizing up. Plus, I don't understand the convenience part. There are many FNGs where you take oil and filter parts, get them changed and get out in 20 minutes.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 21st December 2020 at 23:28.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 23:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
On another aspect, I am a little miffed with Shell that they refuse to clean the rear windscreen even when requested, saying that it is not in their process.
I have got the rear windscreen cleaned in almost all Shell petrol bunks. I have tried most of the bunks in Bangalore. The one in Sadashivnagar is the best and also closest to my place. The one in Yeswanthpur, next to Sparsh Hospital is also not bad. The worst experience i had was in Whitefield, just before Graphite India. The arrogance and carelessness of the staff would have put many of the PSU bunks to shame, i had to request several times for them to clean the rear windscreen, since i was driving down to Mysore.

The 2 bunks in Mysore are also very good. None of them have refused to clean the rear windshield.
The most pleasant experience i had was with this newly opened Shell petrol bunk just before entering Begur on the way to Bandipur from Mysore. I showed up bright and early, around 5:45AM. The staff were super excited, there was an apprentice who cleaned both front and rear windscreen, cleaned the tires as well. I was tempted to ask for interior cleaning also but i had to reach Bandipur by 6:15 for the Safari.

I usually flat out refuse to open the bonnet for them to check. But see many cars lined with for oil change, with one usually on the ramp getting some attention.

Their cleaning products are really good. But off late, their microfiber cleaning clothes seems like some chinese rip offs. Don't have the same quality.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, since this thread has gained sudden traction and since the title has been amended to reflect *strongly recommended* (as an alternative to ASC) by the forum, I need to, in the interest of complete disclosure say that I've personally never changed oil at Shell yet as I had a 3 year service cover package, but I will in due course and only then will I know the real performance of their oils, my first post was merely of what I saw when filling up at Shell bunks or passing by them - that there were cars on the ramp almost always.

I also recommend that you have good to excellent technical knowledge or at the least, check for engine oil specification in the manual/internet/ASC before putting it in at Shell, they do have fuel filters but if you must, carry one to them.

The ASC are no angels when it comes to fleecing, their mechanics (from what I've seen at Hyundai) have shockingly low knowledge of mechanical components or what it takes to repair them, plus their labor rates are sky-high and on top of that they put in GST, I've seen bills for Santro or older cars come to mid 15k easily, if you have no knowledge about cars they'll just keep on writing on the sheet - change engine, change body shell, change seats, change gearbox, the sky is the limit.

Seeing that I have certainly more technical knowledge than ALL the Hyundai technicians put together and then some more and seeing that the warranty and service package is done, I'll jump ship to staggered maintenance from now on, I've a friend who paid 20k for a City service, and one who paid 12k for a Swift.. yeah, that much, and all for useless add-ons and what not. Time for them to bite the dust, their days of building 15 page chargesheets (different variety of charge) will end, and Shell is just an indicator of it.
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:59   #42
BHPian

Slightly off topic - but in context to Engine Oil change.
Last week I had my car serviced and had the Engine oil + Oil filter changed at an authorized service centre (not Shell)
However somehow I feel it is less smooth than it was pre-service.

Is there any indicator that will let me check to see if the oil is changed or potentially old ?
(like visual inspection of the residue on the dipstick etc.. ? )
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
The stock fuel in Shell should therefore be the same if they are selling 91 octane (MS - Petrol). Shell V-Power is 99 Octane which is not normally sold by IOC, BPC & HPC. I know that BP offers 93 Octane and 97 Octane.
V Power is the same 91 octane as regular Shell but with a specific additive package that delivers whatever performance boost is claimed. That plus all the other precautions Shell takes against adulteration or spoilage (you won't find water, rust etc leaking into their fuel from the trucks in which they are transported, or from poor quality construction of their underground tanks at the shell pumps, for example)

Quote:
FEO is made by Valvoline Cummins and IOC for Mahindra. The higher oil change interval is because of extra detergents and other additives that clean out the soot deposited by the engine and keep it sufficiently lubricated. However if you drive a Mahindra anywhere in the city please do change at 10k km max, that 20K km is going to work sort of if and only if you're exclusively on highway drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Slightly off topic - but in context to Engine Oil change.
Last week I had my car serviced and had the Engine oil + Oil filter changed at an authorized service centre (not Shell)
However somehow I feel it is less smooth than it was pre-service.

Is there any indicator that will let me check to see if the oil is changed or potentially old ?
(like visual inspection of the residue on the dipstick etc.. ? )
Visual inspection might help but is not any kind of reliable indicator - you would need a "used oil analysis" which is done at authorized labs and is quite expensive - you'd justify the cost if for example you are a ship owner and need to refill hundreds of litres of engine oil rather than barely 6-7 litres for a big SUV or half that for a hatchback.

The service centre would certainly use a cheaper oil (whatever they get at the lowest price that meets their specification) so the performance may feel a bit less smooth than a premium oil if you've been filling that.

Last edited by hserus : 22nd December 2020 at 09:15.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:57   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
FEO is made by Valvoline Cummins and IOC for Mahindra. The higher oil change interval is because of extra detergents and other additives that clean out the soot deposited by the engine and keep it sufficiently lubricated. However if you drive a Mahindra anywhere in the city please do change at 10k km max, that 20K km is going to work sort of if and only if you're exclusively on highway drives.
Thank you for pointing this out. My observation was based on the labeling on the green pack of Maximile Feo. I did notice that the Maximile Feo Premium which retails in a grey can is made by IOC. I use my XUV mainly on the highways and stick to oil changes every year as my average usage is 10K Km.
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for pointing this out. My observation was based on the labeling on the green pack of Maximile Feo. I did notice that the Maximile Feo Premium which retails in a grey can is made by IOC. I use my XUV mainly on the highways and stick to oil changes every year as my average usage is 10K Km.
The green feo can I bought a couple of weeks back was made by Valvoline

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks