Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2023, 14:47   #1
BHPian

My experience with Honda service

This is a vehicle that has just come back from service. The dirt on the bonnet clamp tells you of how well the service has been done. This despite my paying for a deep cleaning and random things like Motorcare Treatment and Advance Car Care, both of which were suddenly in my bill even though I have not asked for it, and the SA has not explained what any of it means. Never in my 22 years of Honda ownership have I come across something as shoddy as this. Clearly the plan to swap my Brio for an Elevate is now not happening.

My experience with Honda service-img_5201.jpg
My experience with Honda service-screenshot-20230911-2.42.43-pm.png
MadinMumbai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 19:46   #2
BHPian

re: My experience with Honda service

Even Dakshin Honda in Bangalore has started resorting to similar tactics recently. I have noticed that the service charges for my Jazz have gone up from 5k to 10k within a span of a year.
Schroeter is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 09:31   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My experience with Honda service

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
This is a vehicle that has just come back from service. The dirt on the bonnet clamp tells you of how well the service has been done.
To be frank, no authorised dealer is going to clean every nook & cranny of every car. Don't want to debate whether it's right or wrong, but it's an unrealistic expectation.

If you want deep cleaning, best to get it done from a dedicated detailing shop. Just like balancing & alignment are best done at a dedicated tyre shop.

Quote:
This despite my paying for a deep cleaning
A proper interior & exterior detailing session will cost you about 7 - 10k for a Honda City. And go on for a full day.

Quote:
both of which were suddenly in my bill even though I have not asked for it
They clearly upsold you. I see a lot of unnecessary items on your bill. You should have refused to pay for anything that you haven't approved of. Here's what I do when my car is going for a scheduled service to the dealership (aka stealership):

- Put it on record, whether WhatsApp or Email that I want ONLY those things done which are mentioned by the manufacturer in the owner's manual.

- Explicitly mention nothing else to be done to my car without my WhatsApp / Email confirmation.

Do the above and you'll never be charged for such frivolous things.

Quote:
Clearly the plan to swap my Brio for an Elevate is now not happening.
You have to live with the car for 10 years, not the service advisor. If you really love the Elevate, by all means buy it! Please visit my thread on this topic (Had a bad sales experience at a dealer? Please do NOT eliminate the car model because of that!).
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 10:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To be frank, no authorised dealer is going to clean every nook & cranny of every car. Don't want to debate whether it's right or wrong, but it's an unrealistic expectation.
Fair point. The Bonnet clamp is quite literally the first thing that is touched when opening the engine bay. I would have thought this would be noticed.

Quote:
They clearly upsold you. I see a lot of unnecessary items on your bill. You should have refused to pay for anything that you haven't approved of. Here's what I do when my car is going for a scheduled service to the dealership (aka stealership):

- Put it on record, whether WhatsApp or Email that I want ONLY those things done which are mentioned by the manufacturer in the owner's manual.

- Explicitly mention nothing else to be done to my car without my WhatsApp / Email confirmation.

Do the above and you'll never be charged for such frivolous things.
[/url].
Good advice. I think I was lax in my instructions. Unlike some people on this forum who are knowledgable, reasonably invested in car maintenance, and take special care of service requirements, I am a little lax; I trust the Honda brand name and service standards that have, so far, by and large, been honestish. Hence the shock. I think in the future I will follow the service cost estimator on the Honda App.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2023 at 19:07. Reason: Fixing quote tags
MadinMumbai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 19:09   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good advice. I think I was lax in my instructions.
I agree, especially since you had created another thread on Honda's after-sales just 3 years ago

Thread Link (Is it time to move on from brand Honda?)

That time too, they had tried to upsell you on unnecessary repairs .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 19:51   #6
BHPian

Haha! Long term memory loss. I did go back and buy another Honda City, albeit for a different dealer. But as I see now, dealerships have slipped overall.
MadinMumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 10:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
This is a vehicle that has just come back from service. The dirt on the bonnet clamp tells you of how well the service has been done. This despite my paying for a deep cleaning and random things like Motorcare Treatment and Advance Car Care, both of which were suddenly in my bill even though I have not asked for it, and the SA has not explained what any of it means.
This is happening across all ASS. They keep adding non-essential services to increase bill amount. When I give my car for servicing I explicitly write or have them write on the job card not to do any extra service (engine flush, decarbonization, AC vent cleaning, car paint protection, interior shampoo, etc. with my concurrence. I also ask not to wash my car or do wheel balancing/alignment. Anyways most ASS nowadays do dry car wash to be ecofriendly and frankly it is never enough. I get better quality of car wash and wheel balance/alignment at a reputed place near my place for the same price. Both of this you can get it done outside without any voiding warranty on vehicle.

In the rare circumstances, if they have to work on suspension or linkages, they will have to do the alignment in ASS before delivering.
Old 15th September 2023, 11:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Bonnet clamp is quite literally the first thing that is touched when opening the engine bay.
Unless you are part of the bonnet latching assembly, you will not be touching the dirty part. The lever that has to be lifted to open the bonnet is pretty clean. The part that is dirty is due to the grease being applied to keep it lubricated, which then collects dirt because it is open to the elements.

Last edited by pranavt : 15th September 2023 at 11:45.
pranavt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 14:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Unless you are part of the bonnet latching assembly, you will not be touching the dirty part. The lever that has to be lifted to open the bonnet is pretty clean. The part that is dirty is due to the grease being applied to keep it lubricated, which then collects dirt because it is open to the elements.
Just so as I understand - does this mean that cleaning and re-greasing are not part of servicing? Because if it isn't, then it is possible that I have unreal expectations, and for all my previous services the service provider went above and beyond the call of the job sheet.
Old 15th September 2023, 15:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
does this mean that cleaning and re-greasing are not part of servicing?
Depends on what has to be cleaned and/or re-greased. If you were talking about the lever itself, or any other things that are to be touched regularly or occassionally, then yes. Do you expect the service center to dismantle the entire car, re-grease every moving part and put the car back together?
Old 15th September 2023, 17:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
This is a vehicle that has just come back from service. The dirt on the bonnet clamp tells you of how well the service has been done. This despite my paying for a deep cleaning and random things like Motorcare Treatment and Advance Car Care, both of which were suddenly in my bill even though I have not asked for it, and the SA has not explained what any of it means.
As multiple other members have already pointed out, no ASS will clean the bonnet clamp!

You have every right to be upset about the unnecessary items on your service bill, but were you shown the Job card initially when you gave the car for service? Honda nowadays has a soft job card, which is emailed to the customer as well. If all these were mentioned there and you didn't object, no point in complaining now!

One needs understand that automobile dealership businesses thrive mainly on the service income, rather than sales alone. Unfortunately, it is common practice among service advisors to try & upsell "services" which are absolutely unnecessary! Let's take a look at your list:
- Silencer coating
- Advanced car care
- Motor care treatment
- AC cleaning & disinfection
These things amount to 5800/- odd bucks, which the unsuspecting customer has authorised them to do!

I gave my City for service just last week. They had put the AC disinfection & a Brake Overhaul in the job card, which they took off when i politely declined. Also, they advised CVT oil change, which I was not sure was required - the SA showed me the service booklet which recommends the same, so I asked them to add that.

Bottoming - be the smart customer! Know what needs to be done and insist on only those things while leaving the car for periodic service.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 17:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
The dirt on the bonnet clamp tells you of how well the service has been done.
This moving part (including spring) is greased/oiled and is bound to attarct some serious grime over a period of time. Same you would observe at door locking mechanism.

Its a simple DIY, spray injector/carb cleaner, let the grime trickle down, wipe it clean and apply a fresh lube. Indian conditions are generally dusty, few days/months down the line will have the same situation though.
Old 15th September 2023, 17:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
:
- Silencer coating
- Advanced car care
- Motor care treatment
- AC cleaning & disinfection
These things amount to 5800/- odd bucks, which the unsuspecting customer has authorised them to do!
Other than Silencer Coating, which was sold to me and I agreed to, none of the others were mentioned.
The first estimate that I got, when I got a call that the car was ready, had many things like - Battery check up, engine scan… added. I refused to pay those. This is the second estimate and I foolishly paid the amount without checking the work that was done. I assumed the first estimate had been fixed. One term was used often in the conversation with the SA- we have deep cleaned the car, which I assumed to be one of the ‘Motor Care’ packages in the bill. And then the next morning I opened the bonnet to see the grimy latch.
Old 15th September 2023, 18:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Other than Silencer Coating, which was sold to me and I agreed to, none of the others were mentioned.
Could you please share the job card as well??

If none of these are mentioned there, you're entitled to a full refund.
Old 15th September 2023, 18:23   #15
BHPian

This was the first estimate I was given. My experience with Honda service-screenshot-20230915-6.18.52-pm.png

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks