Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 16:15   #1
BHPian

How to check if a part has been replaced

Hi Bhpians,

Other day had given my Spark for the 10,000 km servicing. Bill came to 169 bucks for an air filter,labour charges being free. I did not think too much about it. Now when I see the Spark website it says air filter to be replaced at 40,000 kms!!!

Now am in a little fix.

How can I be sure that they have put in a new airfilter? Or is this kinda standard practice.. if the car has no major issues just replace one not very expensive part OR just give a bill for such a part without doing anything!!

How do we ensure that the dealer / service station has changed the part he has said he has changed? Is there a way of checking without getting too offensive?

Thanks
Nimz
Old 16th July 2008, 16:18   #2
jp1
BHPian

Normally the replaced parts are returned by almost all service stations
Old 16th July 2008, 16:25   #3
BHPian

You can point it out that when the manual says replace at 40K, then why this early? Ask if there was any specific trouble with the vehicle that warranted an early replacement?

Quote:
Is there a way of checking without getting too offensive?
It's your car and your money. You are within your rights to ask. You can ask whether they have the policy of returning old parts to the customer.
Old 16th July 2008, 17:45   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

10K's is pretty early for an air-filter replacement. The lowest I have heard of is at 15,000 kms. But well, at 156 bucks, you might as well let your Spark breathe easier.

If you have been otherwise happy with your authorised service center, give them the benefit of doubt. They must have changed the air filter. However, as others have mentioned, most service stations give the older one back.
Old 16th July 2008, 17:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Air filter replacement intervals can vary depending on the conditions. If you have been driving in dusty conditions, AF gets clogged pretty soon. But of course they can be cleaned & refitted.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 16th July 2008 at 17:52.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Simplest thing to do is ask for the replaced part when you take delivery. This will put your doubts to rest
Old 16th July 2008, 18:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Air filter is replaced every 10,000 KM for my NHC.
And I get back my older filter.

Also, I can see how dirty the older filter is and feel happy that it's replaced.

At the price of @Rs. 150, I would get this replaced every 5000KM.
The improved FE will pay it back!
Old 16th July 2008, 18:52   #8
BHPian

Thanks bhpians.

Maybe in Sundaram they never give back the old part.

I shall probably ask for the replaced part next time I go to Sundaram.. well they can always give me some other Spark's or say they have to search for it and fix me with a "dont u trust us look" and ask sir is it very important..

Thanks again
Nimz
Old 16th July 2008, 20:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi anandpadhye,

> Air filter is replaced every 10,000 KM for my NHC.
> And I get back my older filter.

I have had my 15000kms recently. The air filter has not been changed until now.

Next time make a mark on your old air filter before going for service so that you are sure that it is your 'old filter' that you are getting back!
Old 16th July 2008, 20:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maybe a mistake. Looks like its the price of the oil filter.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Generally all the replaced parts are given back to the owner of the car.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:10   #12
Team-BHP Support

Instead of the old part, ask why it was replaced.
Evaluate the answer.

If not happy then write a letter to GM asking why is the service center replacing parts without permission or need.

This way you only come across as a fussy guy and not a skeptic; if thats important.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Thanks bhpians.

Maybe in Sundaram they never give back the old part.
Sundaram Motors do give back all parts replaced, maybe they missed it in your case. Talk to Ramesh, the service head, he's a fine gentleman.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Hi Bhpians,

Other day had given my Spark for the 10,000 km servicing. Bill came to 169 bucks for an air filter,labour charges being free. I did not think too much about it. Now when I see the Spark website it says air filter to be replaced at 40,000 kms!!!

Now am in a little fix.

How can I be sure that they have put in a new airfilter? Or is this kinda standard practice.. if the car has no major issues just replace one not very expensive part OR just give a bill for such a part without doing anything!!

How do we ensure that the dealer / service station has changed the part he has said he has changed? Is there a way of checking without getting too offensive?

Thanks
Nimz
Owners manuals always print a recommended filter change interval for normal conditions. A filter can get clogged in 1,000 km if exposed to very dusty conditions.

If you are unsure if they changed the filter, why don't you just pull the filter out and take a look at it to see if it is new? If the filter was allegedly changed very recently, it should look a whole lot cleaner than a filter with 10,000 km.

I always ask for ALL old parts any time I get my vehicle serviced to avoid any possibility of this type of issue.
Old 17th July 2008, 13:44   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
...If you are unsure if they changed the filter, why don't you just pull the filter out and take a look at it to see if it is new? If the filter was allegedly changed very recently, it should look a whole lot cleaner than a filter with 10,000 km....
Exactly!!
Im suprised noone mentioned this earlier - as it will solve your current dilemma.

The good thing is that the part is an air filter - which generally is easy to access without even requiring a screw driver in most cars.

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks