Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2008, 22:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rip offs - is this one on me?

My Alto has been long overdue for it 50k service. Used to get it service regularly at each 5k kms till now.

Wanted to get it done at my regular place but found that the place was full and my usual SA was on vacation. So decided to try out a MASS near my house. A small one, but never the less authorized.

Friendly SA and all that. Got the engine oil changed, radiator coolant flushed and topped and also fixed a non-working cigarette lighter (FM modulator & air pump requires this!). The total bill came down to 1930/- Rs. I usually do not go thru the bill or hangle on that - I expect good work and willing to pay for that; so just paid and came back home.

But just for the heck, picked up a older bill from Mandovi and checked the engine oil price. This comparison leads me to believe that I might have been ripped! Check these rates out:

1. Engine Oil - 630 Rs (the oil was got from a huge tank that they had).
2. Oil replaced - 100 Rs (guess this is the labour charge)
3. STP - 250 Rs (now, why should this be there???? and at 250rs!!!)
4. Coolant - 250 Rs (again from a tanker they had; not packed stuff)
5. Distilled water - 30 Rs (used to fill the radiator after flushing???)
6. Radiator flushing out - 100 Rs (pressured water pumped into radiator for 2 minutes)
7. Lighter - 550 Rs

The engine oil rate from Mandovi was 108 Rs per liter and they had filled 3 liters. So with this rate, I wonder what oil they have filled?

And why STP? Is this required?

So is this a rip off or am I just being paranoid?

Last edited by HappyWheels : 16th August 2008 at 22:21.
Old 16th August 2008, 22:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
7. Lighter - 550 Rs

This one for sure is VERY EXPENSIVE. I don't know which brand/or quality it is but the max I have heard about this one is 200/-. (100 for the cheapo ones)
Old 16th August 2008, 22:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
This one for sure is VERY EXPENSIVE. I don't know which brand/or quality it is but the max I have heard about this one is 200/-. (100 for the cheapo ones)
Certainly not branded. Some make they had in a platis casing. It did look new, and hopefully so. And it works.

Went thru all my ealier service bill from Mandovi (I have always done from them @ JP Nagar) and apart from 1 or 2, all of them were around 1.5k to 2k and this is with full service including washing and all. Here I paid almost 1.4k just for liquid change.
Old 16th August 2008, 23:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Happy Wheels,There is this 'Servo' engine oil which maruti fills which is as the rate you mentioned and there is one more engine oil which have and fill which is also mineral based off course but is of a better quality than servo and is a bit expensive.I have personally seen the engine oil can of the better oil with its MRP.
I guess if that is filled, the cost of the engine oil part is justified.
Also the engine oil replacment charge i got charged was 60 bucks as compared to the 100 bucks they charged you.Dont know why this difference.
Old 16th August 2008, 23:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

HumYum, If they have put better quality oil, I am all the more happy. I actually wanted to go in for synthetic oil this time around, but put it off.

But why the STP? Confused!!!
Old 17th August 2008, 06:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

STP has engine flush?

And didnt they replace oil filter?

Flushed radiator ? And then they needed only 250Rs worth of coolant ?
Old 17th August 2008, 08:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

No engine flush. Just drained the old and poured in the new. No filters were replaced.

For the coolant, guess the distilled (or maybe it might have been just tap water!) water was used for the rest of the filling.
Old 17th August 2008, 10:26   #8
BHPian

Very odd that they stick in an additive without your permisiion or specific request.
Thats totally not on. Check up on it.

And basically changing the oil & not changing the filter is almost like not doing the job at all. Whatever cr@p was in the old oil will be in the filter, so either your filter will be ineffective or you will carry over some of the contaminants of the old
oil.
Old 17th August 2008, 11:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

My Opinion on this :

Quote:

Engine Flush will use almost twice the original oil, if its 3 ltrs, you'll use 4-5 ltrs with flush + should include cost of filter.

2. Oil replaced - 100 Rs (guess this is the labour charge).

Labour

You should feel the engine smoother and quicker once used. Cost is fine, I had paid 700Rs for my Santro many years back.

If they clean the radiator they will mix 60% pure coolant with 40% water, cost seems fine.

Thats for the battery, 1ltr bottle from the petrol pump costs apprx 22 Rs.

6. Radiator flushing out - 100 Rs (pressured water pumped into radiator for 2 minutes)

Labour charges.

7. Lighter - 550 Rs

Way Too expensive, unless its MGP.

And why STP? Is this required?

Engine debris and inside cleanup.

So is this a rip off or am I just being paranoid?

Dont be, go back again and ask the SA for an explanation of charges.
Old 17th August 2008, 11:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Lighter MGA was bought for my Wagon R around 6 months back for about Rs. 320/-
Old 17th August 2008, 11:30   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Oil replaced - 100 Rs (guess this is the labour charge)
7. Lighter - 550 Rs
Rs.630 for oil looks fine but the oil filter should have been changed.

STP is either an engine oil additive or a fuel additive. This should have been put only after asking you.

Distilled water will be for the battery I think.

Quite a few of the service centres buy oil/coolant in bulk barrels but sell them at per litre rate. It is always better to buy your own oil if you are unsure about it and always get the oil changed in front of you.
Old 17th August 2008, 12:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

I was standing besides the mechanic when he was doing all the work. The only thing done on the engine oil was to drain it and then fill it up with oil brought in an old can. Fortunately the oil was new.

Engine was not done. So unless they added the oil additive when bring the can, it was not done.

The battery was not touched. So distilled water for the battery is not the case.

And the engine is no better than what it was before.

To top all this, just now went and checked the coolant level, and guess what - the coolant tank is filled just above the MIN level.

I feel like Spike (of Tom& Jerry cartoon) whenever he gets cheated by Tom!!!
Old 17th August 2008, 13:16   #13
BANNED

@HappyWheels, I can confirm what bblost has posted - the lighter socket costs only around 300 (I think I paid 250 or 275 in Dec '07).

I paid 1250/- (rounded figure) for 3rd service on my wagonR. Why should an Alto service cost more? (included wheel balancing and rotation). Will fish out the bill and post details if anybody wants.

And every oil change should be accompanied by oil filter replacement.

From my experience (on commercial vehicles), one needs to be conversant (nay, an expert) on your own vehicle and its condition, and know what needs to be done at periodical services.

Moral of this story is to know exactly what part needs replacement and when.
Old 17th August 2008, 14:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
...the lighter socket costs only around 300...

I paid 1250/- (rounded figure) for 3rd service on my wagonR. Why should an Alto service cost more? (included wheel balancing and rotation)...

And every oil change should be accompanied by oil filter replacement.

From my experience (on commercial vehicles), one needs to be conversant (nay, an expert) on your own vehicle and its condition, and know what needs to be done at periodical services...
Its very clear what has happened. I agree with you that people should know what needs to be done to their vehicle at periodic intervals. This time, since the regular service place was not available, I went for this one off visit. And I did tell the SA that the 50K service is due and carry out what is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
...Moral of this story is to know exactly what part needs replacement and when.
Well said! But I usually let the experts do what they are supposed to do and trust them with their work. Seems like one should never let their guard down!
Old 17th August 2008, 16:00   #15
BHPian

Happy wheels, at the end of the day of of us cannot be experts. So like you said, we have to let them do what they do.
However, we can try and prevent a recurrence of the same event or prevent it happening to someone else. In that interest you could either take that matter up with them or complain to maruti directly regarding their MASS centre ( esp with regard to the STP business ) or at least name and shame them here on the forum by posting up here or an additional review in the review section so that others do not befall the same fate

Last edited by Revvhead : 17th August 2008 at 16:02. Reason: you cant type a.s.s. wihout it being coverted to ***

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks