Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 17:08   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I simply cannot understand why the clutch needs to be replaced. In my 15 years of driving, I have only replaced clutches when they were slipping. This is a first.

BTW, Mad Monkeys RS also had a clutch replacement in less than 30,000 kms. Thus, we have three Skoda RS' confirmed with new clutches at incredibly premature stages (Navin, NC & Monkey)
My RS has done about 40k kms and I took it for servicing last week to JMD. My clutch has also been feeling hard for the last 4k kms or so and I specifically asked them to look into it and suggested they try bleeding the clutch. When I got my car back they informed me that the clutch would require overhauling and bleeding will not solve the problem. According to them the pressure plates had hardened. The estimate for clutch overhaul including labour is around 40k. This seems like a rampant problem with vRS?
Old 7th June 2010, 21:30   #152
Team-BHP Support

I replaced my clutch at 40k. Clutch a little hard. The relase bearing was chirping away. The plate had 1mm of surface left
Old 7th June 2010, 21:38   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I replaced my clutch at 40k. Clutch a little hard. The relase bearing was chirping away. The plate had 1mm of surface left
Was it clutch or the disc?
Old 14th June 2010, 20:19   #154
BHPian

I got my RS clutch and flywheel replaced due to a hard pedal at around 55K and it was on its last legs when opened up as there was little left. I had changed it as had got the car bumped upto to 220 BHP by Peter. Got a SPEC stage 2 and have now the car at 240 BHP and its absolutely great, no probs in traffic stop and go.

Please confirm that the Flywheel will be replaced and if it is a single or DM one, single will lead to increased vibrations but apparently is better in terms of torque handling??

FZ
Skoda VRS - stage 2 -240BHP,Spec clutch stage 2, Forge DV, Carbonio CAI, Tarox brakes, Forge FMIC, Stanley leather interiors, 225 Michelin PP2s, Milltek decat complete exhaust.
Old 15th June 2010, 06:46   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefls View Post
...and bleeding will not solve the problem. According to them the pressure plates had hardened....
Pressure plates "hardened"? Can any gurus explain this?

AFAIK pressure plate is all metal so where does hardening come from? The prssure plate springs (fingers) can become soft with use but why is it that I have never heard of them becoming "hard"

Is it some B$ being dished out? OR what they mean is that pressure plate has worn off and the clutch has become hard due to this (needs more travel than available)?

Last edited by sudev : 15th June 2010 at 06:47.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:14   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Pressure plates "hardened"? Can any gurus explain this?
Snippit from another thread >>
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
.... the diaphragm spring also has a defined life cycle, after which they start loosing their material properties (just compare the diaphragm spring of a fresh pressure plate and that of a worn out one you will understand), this results into a change in clamping load which is felt by the driver through the pressure plate->release bearing->fork->clutch pedal.
Perhaps the thread has some more useful details + is a more appropriate place to continue the technical discussion : Hydraulic Clutches - why the hardness?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2010 at 20:16.
Old 26th June 2010, 19:04   #157
evo
BHPian

Navin, can you update on how your Autobahn service is holding up?
Old 12th July 2010, 01:00   #158
BHPian

Clutch pedal pressure increase (resulting in hard clutch pedal) is all about the master & slave cylinder if the clutch is a hydraulic actuation clutch.

Nothing in this case to do with the diaphragm plate. i.e. how can metallurgy of the pressure plate change over time ?

Either a sticky bearing or shot bearing in the event of a non hydraulic clutch or 99% the cylinder mechanism of the hydraulic clutch.
Old 12th July 2010, 18:36   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

My Tucson clutch is hard for last 5000 KM and today the A.S.S. guy told me the presssure plate is surely hardened and needs replacement.

I told them - Clutch is not slipping - pickup and top speeds are same as original - 80kmph in 5'th is achieved at 2000RPM - same as before. So clutch plate is fine.

They said, yes, but the presure plate is gone and the entire set has to be replaced.

Guys please comment.
Old 9th October 2010, 01:18   #160

Please give us an update on the laest with Autobahn service

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Navin, can you update on how your Autobahn service is holding up?
Hi Naveen, one more gentle reminder...

I'm also keen to know the latest on your experience with Autobahn (which, BTW, was the original topic on this thread, until it digressed into a technical discussion on bleeding of clutches )
Old 30th April 2012, 17:00   #161
Team-BHP Support

Re: My experience with Skoda-Autobahn (as promised)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Replaced Clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing Rs. 2500
Clutch Plate II 038141032E 1 Rs. 6230
Clutch Pressure Plate 038141025P 1 Rs. 5992
Release Bearing 02A141165M 1 Rs. 2269
Last few days my car has been vibrating like crazy especially in cold condition.

Sent the car to Autobahn today. Their diagnosis is that the above 4 items + the Dual Mass Flywheel (which I believe was not change in 2009) + Starter coil.

Autobahn's Estimate for this is Rs. 78,510. Apparently the flywheel is rather expensive.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:46   #162
Team-BHP Support

Re: Please give us an update on the laest with Autobahn service

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayess View Post
Hi Naveen, one more gentle reminder...

I'm also keen to know the latest on your experience with Autobahn (which, BTW, was the original topic on this thread, until it digressed into a technical discussion on bleeding of clutches )
To be honest I have little to complain about Autobahn. Since my last service I have had a right head light replaced (the adaptive headlights are not cheap) and some door switches replaced. When my headlight was replaced they were late so they delivered the car to my residence (which was a nice gesture).

Yesterday when talking to Autobahn the manager tells me they can no longer deliver the car so I would have to send a driver to pick it up. I have a long standing relatioship with Autobahn and so have been served well. In the middle for about 2-3 years their service dropped off and I just walked with my wallet and went to a local garage.

What I would like to see?

Well for starters cheaper parts prices. Compared to Honda, Toyota and other competition Skoda parts are expensive.

Acceptance of check payment especially if I am giving the check before they start work. Autobahn used to offer this to me but this time are grumbling about it.

Quicker turnaround. Last time they took 10 hours to replace a headlight. The car was delivered to thm at about 9am and I got the car back at almost 8pm. Assuming that the car left teh workshop at 7pm it is still 10 hours.

Stay tuned for a blow by blow update wednesday-thrusday. That is when my car will go in. They have promised to finish the work on Wednesday itself.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:28   #163
Team-BHP Support

Update:

On Monday I had requested Mr. Raghavan and Mr. Samir of Autobahn Enterprises to let me know the estimate so I can send the money via check or DD. I got no answer just a promise that they would send the estimate with my driver.

When my driver showed up minus the estimate I called them today (Wednesday). After 15 calls to Mr. Raghavan and 6 to Mr. Samir I still have not even got the amount they expect for the car. Mr. Raghavan has stopped taking my calls and has passed me off to Mr. Samir. And my calls were not about any thing other than how can I pay them. Funny the seem in no rush to accept money! How many times do they get a customer whose primary object is to pay them? I offered to pay them via credit card (over the internet) but unlike Arya Honda they cannot offer that facility either.

At 4pm Mr. Samir tells me that they will not accept any form of payment but DD or cash, they still have not told me the exact amount (Mr. Samir told me to send Rs. 76,500 in cash and they will return the rest after they make the bill). As per IT rules I cannot pay them more than Rs. 50,000 in cash (neither can they accept more than Rs. 50,000 in cash) and at this late hour there is no way for me to make a DD before the day is out even if I knew the amount.

Autobahn probably assumes that since they have the customer's car they can demand that the customer jump through any number of hoops to get their car back.

One thing they have assured with this treatment. My next car will NOT be bought through Autobahn and will NOT be from the VAG stable (Skoda, VW and Audi included).

Edit: Late on Wednesday after calling Mr. Samir several times I managed to get Samir to send me an Invoice for my car at about 6pm. The amount on the Invoice is about Rs. 68,000 (as of this time- 10am Thursday - I have send it to the bank for a DD). Hopefully Autobahn will deem it fit to release my car after they get the DD.

Last edited by navin : 3rd May 2012 at 10:41.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 09:28   #164
Team-BHP Support

Friday Morning - Got DD made by 12 noon yesterday. Got car back by about 2pm. So far all looks good. Will drive it on Sunday (I am usually chauffered).

They changed 2 parts
Release bearing............................ 02A141165M... Rs. 1196.44
FlyWheel with Clutch ( Plate)......... 038105264J..... Rs. 46,721,69

Other parts required
12 Point Sprocket Head (12 nos) ... N 10101001 .... Rs. 144.32
Screw Hex HD (6 nos) ................. N 90206013 .... Rs. 450.61
"Consumables" ........................... 91CONS350 .... Rs. 350.00

As per the bill they took 16 mins to inspect the car (Summer camp inspection), 5 Hrs and 6 min to replace fly wheel and release bearing and 1 Hr and 12 min to replace some bolts (Big and small).

Parts bill was 54,970.95 and Labour total was 13,505.67 (including taxes) so the total came to Rs. 68,477.00 (38 paise was used to round off to the nearest ruppee).

So far so good. Autobahn really needs to make their accounting department more flexiable in bill payment.
Old 4th May 2012, 13:04   #165
Senior - BHPian

navin, I would love to have you as a customer.

What if the flywheel had been changed the last time you got the clutch assembly changed? Would it have caused the clutch to last longer?

Looks lke the clutch has to be mandatorily changed every 30k or two years, whichever is earlier ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks