Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 19:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Help! Dealership refusing to return booking amount!

I once booked Swift back in 2010 and paid 2 lakh rs booking amount. Later on I had to cancel the booking due to some personal issues. I informed the dealer and got cheque of Rs 199500. 500 Rs were deducted against the file charge.
Old 13th April 2013, 19:35   #47
BHPian

I received the cheque today- do appreciate the way Sumankirti had a quick turnaround on the refund- in 3 days flat, with no deductions.
I just wish they had this kind of commitment in processing and keeping track of the booking itself.
Old 14th May 2013, 06:31   #48
BHPian

Hi all. I need a clarification. I booked a Skoda Rapid Tdi Elegance at Gurudev motors, Trichy on the 8th of march and gave a cheque for 10,000 as advance payment. Subsequently I decided to cancel the booking and did so on the 1st of April.

I asked for refund of the booking amount. I had to keep calling up repeatedly and after a month, they give me a cheque for 5,000 saying they deducted 5,000 as cancellation fee.

Are they entitled to a cancellation fee of 5,000?
Old 16th February 2015, 13:38   #49
ARG
BHPian

Datsun salesman cons senior-citizen customer?

TBHpians!

A friend, Liz Thomas, posted this on Facebook, about her mother's experience with the salesforce at EVM Nissan, in Kerala. She'd very much like to hear from our forum, on (any) further course of action, her parents should initiate.
It appears that a salesman hid a no-refund policy on an advance payment from a potential customer - and what's more, specifically informed the customer, a senior citizen, in response to her queries on the same, that the advance is fully refundable.
They have initiated discussions with the management at EVM Nissan, but feel that the Dealer is dragging their feet.

Liz's account, follows :
Hello,
It is with great pain and angst, that I am posting this letter sent by my parents to the Kerala distributors for Datsun Automobiles. They had their last conversation on 13th February with the General Manager of EVM Nissan Sam T Mathew, also the time when they had drafted this email and not sent. There has been no response or follow up on the same. They sent this mail yesterday evening. I am also posting the same in my circle to create an awareness of such practices that is dubious.
‪#‎VoiceofConsumer
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 15 February 2015 at 17:06
Subject: Reference: Datsun GO Booking Amount Refund for Elza Thomas To: gm@evmnissan.co.in
Hello Mr Sam,
This is with regards to our teleconversation today: Thank you very much for your time today. We would like to confirm on email what has been discussed We booked a Datsun GO on 09-01-2015 at EVM Honda, Kalmassery showroom and have made a deposit of 5000 as advance, which we were assured full refund multiple times by the sales executive. Unfortunately your showroom was not able to provide a colour of our choice (Requested for steel grey or red, very popular colours in the market) at the time of booking; and also made an exchange offer very lower than what the market offered. We waited one week and my wife submitted an application of refund on 16th January for which the refund has not been effected to- date. We followed up on the same periodically, latest being 5 days back when the executive handling the case mentioned that there is a policy of no refund. Nowhere before in the above transactions or meetings, the policy of no refund or reduced refund was mentioned to us, even specifically after questions over the same. To canvas and market the cars, sales executives are tutored to hide information from gullible senior citizens. My wife is an innocent victim of an evil design of bilking money for your enterprise. We have been running around in circles for the same, being asked to call multiple persons before reaching you. We would also like to point out that it has been 1 month since we have given this application, and there is no information forthcoming on the same other than an update that it is in process.It was a shock to us that there would be a chance of not getting the refund back. We would like to mention that any policy, before signature, should be explained to the customer, especially to senior citizens. The willful hiding of the information is a critical error of concealing it from us. After speaking to you, I understand from you that even though there were special precedence of refunding the full amount, you are reluctant to allow such a concession to us and would like to deduct 1000 INR from the advance and refund the balance. A request of 10% deduction is also said to be considered. We would like to have an acknowledgment by mail on the deduction amount.
Thomas George

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th February 2015 at 09:52. Reason: Removing font tags.
Old 16th February 2015, 13:46   #50
BHPian

Re: Datsun salesman cons senior-citizen customer?

The brochures typically handed over at the time of booking carry specific terms pertaining to annulment of such purchase agreement. For instance when i booked Ciaz and then Elantra, the brochure clearly mentioned that booking amount was 'fully' refundable. Sorry, i am not offering you any solution if you were looking for one - even i am interested in reading what experts have to offer on this.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 13:50   #51
ARG
BHPian

With you, on your comment on the kind of salesmen.
To my mind, the responsibility for unscrupulous and/or unaware salesforce should rest with the dealer, at the end of the day.
Old 16th February 2015, 15:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARG View Post
I understand from you that even though there were special precedence of refunding the full amount, you are reluctant to allow such a concession to us and would like to deduct 1000 INR from the advance and refund the balance. A request of 10% deduction is also said to be considered.
So the dealership wants to charge 5k/1k/10%? Please post a brief version, as sometimes it gets too emotional and dramatic for a simple issue. I couldn't get the meaning of above quoted text.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 17:07   #53
ARG
BHPian

I think that is the customer's (belated) attempt to make an email record of his entire discussion with the GM. The dealer was not clear as to what they would do - could be anything from a deduction, to no refund, at all.

The key issue I see in the whole business is in my summary, at the beginning of the post. Let's not say a breach of implied trust is a simple issue.

Irrespective of the amount involved, we, as a people, should stop condoning this sort of behaviour in selling, be it a car, or a consulting assignment. Why should the customer be 'penalized', on top of having his trust violated?
ARG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 17:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The policy of refund must be mentioned on the receipt provided by the dealership at the time of receiving the booking amount. Also the price list of almost every dealer I have been to also usually carries this information at the bottom regarding the name of the dealership in whose name a cheque or DD has to be made and also the cancellation fees if applicable.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 04:11   #55
BHPian

Another DATSUN GO sour booking instance involving JEEVAN NISSAN, Madurai. My mom, a senior citizen, was interested in getting a Blue Color DATSUN GO and I was interested in checking out the GO+. After the TD, we were told by the Sales Team Leader that there was a 2014 Blue Color Datsun GO T model which comes with a discount. So I asked him for the VIN number and related details and wanted to check the car personally before paying the Booking amount. They were dodging for a while saying that the Car was in Tirunelveli, about 190Kms away from Madurai and I agreed to even check it there as I had a 2 day business trip there coincidentally. I started calling them up and different people answered but none of them gave me the VIN number or even showed me the car. Meanwhile, I got a RUDE CALL from the Team Leader saying that IF I WAS INTERESTED, I SHOULD PAY THE BOOKING AMOUNT ELSE HE WOULD MOVE ON WITH SELLING THE CAR TO SOME OTHER CUSTOMER. I then made a call to NISSAN TOLL FREE Number and shared with them my experience. There was a reference number L1502080050 assigned to this call and no response has come in from NISSAN or the Dealer yet on the 2014 Model car. Luckily I saved the Booking Amount by refusing to part with it without seeing the car or knowing its VIN numbers
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:09   #56
ARG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARG View Post
I think that is the customer's (belated) attempt to make an email record of his entire discussion with the GM. The dealer was not clear as to what they would do - could be anything from a deduction, to no refund, at all.

The key issue I see in the whole business is in my summary, at the beginning of the post. Let's not say a breach of implied trust is a simple issue.

Irrespective of the amount involved, we, as a people, should stop condoning this sort of behaviour in selling, be it a car, or a consulting assignment. Why should the customer be 'penalized', on top of having his trust violated?

Update from Liz Thomas : The dealer has refunded the advance payment in full, to the customer. The customer also received a call, with a "we do care" message, and Liz Thomas (if not the actual customer, her mother) seems happy and in a forgiving mood!
The customer's key issues were (i) the dealer's seeming unwillingness to communicate, and (ii) the refund, of course.
All's well that ends well!
Old 11th March 2016, 15:00   #57

I have met similar fate to some of the members who have contributed above. I recently bought Hyundai Creta 1.4 CrDi S+. I wanted the car very urgently as my existing vehicle had been sold. So, I spoke with 'Singh Hyundai, Pune' if they can give my desired car variant within one month (as most of the other dealers were quoting anywhere between 5-6 months). I was told by Singh Hyundai staff that they are relatively newer dealership and they can get stock allotted to them quicker then others and if it doesn't happen I can cancel my booking and they would refund my money. I waited somewhere upwards 20 days. Meanwhile, I got this car from other Hyundai Dealer in neighboring town.

Now Singh Hyundai staff has been sitting on my refund for over 3 weeks. After repeated follow-ups they are adamant on levying cancellation charges of Rs. 3000. This is preposterous.

I see no reason for this as I had to cancel the car as the dealer could not provide the delivery.

Wonder, how does Hyundai manage to score well in JD Power SSI ratings?
Old 5th February 2017, 17:21   #58
BHPian

Issue with Navnit Motors Bangalore (Hosur Road) - Seeking help

On Jan 17, 2017 I contacted Navnit Motors, Hosur Road and took a test drive of BMW X3. I liked the car and inquired about availability of 30D M Sport variant. Navnit mentioned that they had an Alpine White with Black interiors available. Our current car is black with beige interiors both of which we found to be high maintenance. So we were ok in going for the total opposite. Called Navnit and asked them for a quote. They responded offering some discount which I was not exactly happy with. Negotiated a bit more and they came down further provided I booked the car immediately. Since I was serious about the car, I agreed and paid 2 L as booking amount on Jan 19. Just before booking they mentioned that the white car got sold that morning and hence was not available. However, there was an Alpine White and a Space Grey at the factory that they can get. Though a bit disappointed now, we said ok but on an impulse changed our colour preference to Space Grey (Black interiors). At the time, I specifically asked about their cancellation policy and was told that 10% of booking amount would be forfeited and rest refunded.

As I started sharing news of booking with friends and relatives, I got help from an unexpected source that resulted in getting a much better quote for the same model from Bavaria Motors, Pune. I talked to the sales exec in Bavaria and also to other references in Bangalore who have bought through them which convinced me enough to decide in favour of Bavaria over Navnit. So on Jan 25, within a week of booking with Navnit, I called and informed them regarding cancellation. I followed this up with an email as well. The sales exec tried to talk me out of cancellation with the offer of a better quote which I politely declined. They have since then gone into complete silence. No response over email. Not reachable on phone. No call backs.

Now it has been over 12 days since I’ve communicated the cancellation to them and they have not responded on either any next steps or refund. The sale exec has stopped taking my calls. I’ve written reminders to the sales exec, escalated to his Team Lead, Manager and General Manager Sales but it is silence from the entire team. The one instance where I got through to the Manager, he told that only the GM can make any decision and hence there is no choice but to wait. Now, I don’t understand what “decision” is being made. Cancellation is part of regular business and, as they had initially mentioned, their policy is to refund the advance less 10%. So if this is the policy then why should it take so long and why make it seem like an exceptional situation calling for prolonged deliberation by the GM. I’ve now started thinking, irrationally I admit, whether they are forcing the delay to push things to a point where they can force me to buy it from them. I think it is not possible but then there are many things I don’t know in the grey zone of business ethics.

A point to also mention is that Navnit has sent no written communication at all in my entire interaction with them - no sales contract, no T&Cs, no replies to emails sent for various clarification (except sending me the accessory pricing). The only evidence of my booking the car with them is the debit in my bank a/c and an automated mail from their CRM system. I would think that the CRM system would also send an automated mail regarding cancellation but I’ve not received any which boosts my suspicion that they have not yet registered my cancellation.

I was considering escalating this to BMW India and was searching team-bhp for help. I found and PM-d a bhp-ian rishi_kapoor who provided contact details for BMW India and also offered to put in a word. As advised by rishi I’ve escalated to BMW India yesterday and am awaiting a response from them. I am not sure if this matter is serious enough for them to get involved in but wanted to try all possible means to get a resolution. In the process, I also saw other threads slamming Navnit Motors for their questionable customer service and am now feeling very nervous regarding this.

It would be extremely helpful to get your advice or suggestions on how I can get a closure from Navnit.

In the meanwhile Bavaria has been very prompt so far in communication, clarification and keeping me updated on the status of my order. They have tentatively provided a date of Feb 11 for delivering the vehicle to me in Bangalore after registering it here. There are some minor wrinkles to be ironed out with them but overall it has been a pleasant experience with Bavaria so far. So, as I write this, I am quite excited anticipating delivery of the car in a week’s time but at the same time have the nagging nervousness about not getting a closure from Navnit regarding refund of my booking amount.

I shudder to think of the service experience I’ll have with Navnit later but then that is a worry for another day.
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 22:11   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Issue with Navnit Motors Bangalore (Hosur Road) - Seeking help

Sad to hear about this.... It's also worrying because in many places Navnit has a monopoly. I know a couple of TBHPians who have had great experiences with Navnit. However, I also know of a few others who have had pretty bad experiences.

Bavaria on the other hand, even though a monopoly in Pune are supposed to be excellent. The owner is very hands on and runs a very tight ship. Navnit is too big. They have BMW, JLR, Maruti, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin and maybe more in the future....
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 18:25   #60
BHPian

Re: Issue with Navnit Motors Bangalore (Hosur Road) - Seeking help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
On Jan 17, 2017 I contacted Navnit Motors, Hosur Road and took a test drive of BMW X3.
- Edited out -
Now it has been over 12 days since I’ve communicated the cancellation to them and they have not responded on either any next steps or refund. The sale exec has stopped taking my calls. I’ve written reminders to the sales exec, escalated to his Team Lead, Manager and General Manager Sales but it is silence from the entire team.

It would be extremely helpful to get your advice or suggestions on how I can get a closure from Navnit.
A quick update on this issue: Finally after patiently working at them through email reminders and follow up calls, I managed to get the refund. So the matter is now put to rest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks