Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 14:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Strange problem: Closed the car loan,but bank lost my car key

I had this old car loan taken in Corporation bank which finally got closed after 5 years. When i took the loan, Bank had taken the car key(they did not take the RC book) and they said once the loan gets closed, i will get back the key

Last week when i went to close the loan, i got all the documents such as Form 35 and NOC. But they said they do not have any keys, in fact there is no procedure to take the key from the customer.

As it has been 5 years, almost entire bank staff has changed and may be multiple managers as well. When i got the loan sanctioned, It didnt strike me to get some sort of letter saying they have custody of my car key

I have managed my car for 5 years with just one set of key. but then is this usual ? as i did not have any proof that they have my key, i could only request them to please check and let me know in case they find it(no hopes)

I want to know if there are any drawbacks of not having the second car key ?

I know this sounds silly, but i never expected that a PSU bank can misplace a customer loan related artifact.

As my car is already 5 years old, i might keep it for say maximum 1-2 years only. Does having only one key create any problem ?

Car in question is Maruti swift. can i make another key or do i need to change the whole key assembly ?(what will be the cost?)

Since my car key is missing, should I just replace key assembly to be on the safer side to prevent it from getting mis used ?

Any guidance is appreciated
Old 19th March 2012, 14:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Strange problem: Closed the car loan,but bank lost my car key

Do the banks still follow this procedure? i have both the keys of my car and i have a loan. The bank dint take any of my keys on any of my cars.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:45   #3
BHPian

Same here, I never heard of banks keeping one key.
Why car's ? I have a house loan. But the bank does not have a house key :-D
Old 19th March 2012, 14:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

One very obvious drawback I can think of is that you will surely face an issue with the buyer at the time of a sale. As the buyer will be interested in the full set of key and in case of absence of the same he/she might find fishy and could walk away from the sale.

I would suggest to bother the Bank a little more, try righting to higher official. They might be denying you as finding the key could be a hassle for the current staff. It could be very much lying in somewhere in the bank "safe & secure'.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:47   #5
BHPian

Strange indeed. I've taken a couple of automobile loans in the past but never was my key taken. They just use to have their name on the RC card. Does these rules change from state to state?

Coming to the key, Nothing wrong in having one key. You can still live with it. But is is advised to keep another key handy just in case. Getting a second key done these days is pretty easy. M.A.S.S does it for you for a fairly less price. You have alternatives of getting it done outside too. There is no need to replace the whole unit. Nothing happened in the last 5 years though the old key is lost. And the chances of something happened in the future is very less. I maybe wrong though.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is surprising as its been close to a decade that Banks have stopped taking the keys of the car. When i bought my first car, Kotak Mahindra Bank officials wanted me to give them a set of keys which i refused, since then i have taken two car loans and one from a Public Sector Bank and i have not been asked to give one set of keys to them.

Are you sure if they actually took the keys? and if they did there must be some sort of mention in the bank loan documents. Unless there is some proof i don't see this ending in your favor.

On the question of it having some problems, i don't think there would be any. Worse case if you are apprehensive you can get the locks changed and with that you will get new set of keys.

I don't think there would be a problem in selling such a car as its quiet normal to loose one set of keys, there is nothing fishy about that. Although i must add it would be a inconvenience to a buyer that there is only one set of keys.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

From a perspective of safety, you should automatically change the locks. Otherwise, one fine day somebody might find the key and then you have a problem. Better be safe than sorry. Yes, this will cost more than getting one or two spare keys cut, but consider how much more expensive it will be to lose your car.

That said, I think the keys are stuck in some safe place in the bank and nobody has the patience or energy to look for it as they were not there when the key was taken. It is not really ideal for you to write to higher ups to push for this. You should become friendly with the staff in the bank and ask them to look for it. If all they get is an order from high up, they will do a cursory and disinterested search and say it is not to be found. Not worth it.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Coming to the key, Nothing wrong in having one key. You can still live with it.
Thats risky. If Godforbid your car gets stolen the insurance company will ask for both the original keys , one missing key would give them enough ammo to deny your claim.

Rajesh,
Best option would be to change the whole lock assembly. Costly affair but worth it - the peace of mind.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you very sure you gave them a set of car keys? It seems strange that any bank in this day and age would ask for that while disbursing a car loan.

In any case it's all water under the bridge now (and thank your stars nobody misused the car keys when they had access to it!) Treat it just as you would if you lost one set of keys. If you can manage on one set (you obviously have managed fine for 5 years) keep going. If it seems too dangerous, change it.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:10   #10
BHPian

I would recommend changing the lock assembly.

I bought a car on a loan in Calcutta in 2001, and even that came with both the keys - so it's been longer than a decade. So did my next one in 2004, in Mumbai.

Having a lock on something with a key 'out there somewhere' is not a very good idea.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:10   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't see any need to change all the locks; if the company that had the second key can't trace it, fat chance anyone else will.

Just get a duplicate key made from M.A.S.S. and you should be all set (for emergency as well as resale).
Old 19th March 2012, 15:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Thats risky. If Godforbid your car gets stolen the insurance company will ask for both the original keys , one missing key would give them enough ammo to deny your claim.
As the thread starter said, One of they key was taken by the bank, it should some where be written in the terms and conditions of the loan agreement. So that should be enough to reverse the insurance company rejection.

Rajesh,
It would be a better deal if you can take it in written from the bank that the key has not been returned to you for what so ever reason in case they are unable to find your key. As spookey said, it might be the case that insurance might reject the claim incase a point is not mentioned in the agreement regarding the key.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I had this old car loan taken in Corporation bank which finally got closed after 5 years. When i took the loan, Bank had taken the car key(they did not take the RC book) and they said once the loan gets closed, i will get back the key

Any guidance is appreciated
This is really strange, the Bank taking the key there is no such procedure (I am an ex Banker).

Better get the key assembly replaced immediately to ensure no one can misuse the key.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:20   #14
BHPian

Has the bank provided you a written acknowledgement of you handing over the keys? If that is the case you can still push for them to return them. In case they are really lost the acknowledgment would still help you in getting them to bear the cost towards replacement of locks, at least you stand some chance though you can't be assured of that. As for your safety, it's always safer to replace all the locks. Definitely a cost but much less than losing the car.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, this practice of taking one key was prevalent with many Public Sector banks if I can recall.

I had borrowed from State Bank of Patiala in March 2006 for my WagonR and I had to give them one Key till the loan was closed in June 2009.

But in just a few months after I borrowed, they got away with this practice and stopped keeping one of the keys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks