Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2020, 10:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

No claims during the Covid-19 days, can insurance companies share the benefit with customers?

I am assuming Accidents, thefts and insurance claims will be next to Zero during the lock-down period. Automobile insurance companies should be benefited big time during this period with no payouts on the active policies. Can we expect some benefits to be passed to the customers through a discount on the next policy (probably as a stickiness bonus) or in some form.

Even for Health insurance, scenario can be similar with people keeping away from hospitals unless for a real emergency

I agree that new business will be also Zero during this period, but just a thought
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 11:23   #2
BHPian

Re: No Insurance claims during the COVID days, can insurance companies share the benefit with custom

I think insurance companies will have to think about survival first, with new sales precipitating and health insurance claims certainly rising exponentially, I don't think insurance companies will be able to share any benefits (if they get some, that is).
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 11:32   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: No Insurance claims during the COVID days, can insurance companies share the benefit with custom

Warren Buffett’s Geico offers $2.5 billion in credits as coronavirus cuts driving
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/08/warr...s-driving.html

Quote:
Geico said it will offer about $2.5 billion of credits to its 19 million auto and motorcycle policyholders, reflecting the decline in driving stemming from the coronavirus pandemic.

The insurer said it will offer a 15% credit on policies up for renewal between April 8 and Oct. 7, averaging about $150 per auto policy and $30 per motorcycle policy.

The announcement came one day after Allstate said it would return more than $600 million to policyholders, mostly through a “payback” of 15% of premiums for April and May on about 18 million policies.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 16:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Warren Buffett’s Geico offers $2.5 billion in credits as coronavirus cuts driving
I wonder if Indian insurance companies will think on similar lines. Relieved that my proposal was not fully idiotic and out of mind
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 16:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I wonder if Indian insurance companies will think on similar lines. Relieved that my proposal was not fully idiotic and out of mind
It's not idiotic. My team mates in Canada have already started receiving rebates for their car insurance policy.

But in India, I don't really expect us to get our money back to be honest. Happy to be proved wrong though.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 17:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

My car's insurance expired today. I renewed it couple of days back (my policy is with Acko). I got a Rs.1800 extra discount over and above the NCB as "Lockdown discount". This was for a policy on which renewal premium was about Rs.12,000 for comprehensive coverage.
KiloAlpha is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 17:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
It's not idiotic. My team mates in Canada have already started receiving rebates for their car insurance policy.

But in India, I don't really expect us to get our money back to be honest. .
Agreed that a cash back may never happen in our country. It can be discount during renewal if you stick to the same provider. That can be a win-win situation, but not sure if that is allowed legally
gadadhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 07:58   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: No claims during the Covid-19 days, can insurance companies share the benefit with customers?

Would customers pay more during a crisis month where the claims went up? I don't think so . It would be nice to have, but I don't expect Indian insurance companies to offer any sort of benefit.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 10:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: No claims during the Covid-19 days, can insurance companies share the benefit with customers?

I would have thought there should be no change. To my mind, insurance premiums work as follows: Regardless of the time the car spends on the road, your next year insurance premium / NCB depends on whether or not you make a claim in the previous year. I guess if you don't make a claim you will get your NCB. And even if your car was on the road only for 3 months of the year, and in that period if you made a claim you would lose NCB. Isn't that the only way to look at it?
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 11:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Insurance premium I understand is paid for transferring our risk to the insurer. In other words, it is calculated based on the risk an insurer is taking on your behalf. Certain risk components has reduced globally during the current period and this can result in a reduced risk and hence premium. This can be passed to customer if the company wishes to use that as an incentive to attract business (not enforced by a regulatory authority)

Agreed to GTO that we didn't pay more during a crisis situation like flood. But are not these elements factored in to the policy premium. Moreover, such events are generally limited to a region and will be neutralized to a large extent against the larger community.

Last edited by gadadhar : 28th April 2020 at 11:16.
Old 28th April 2020, 23:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

In the Netherlands : We have a few insurance companies who have started giving rebates on their car insurances to their customers. Less traffic/Driving less accidents and they show it in their premiums right away!
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 03:39   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Wasn't there was a 2 month extension offered for policies expiring during the lockdown, if I am not mistaken?

Insurance is tricky business. When the companies like Tata AIG can refuse to renew insurance (Tata-AIG refuses to renew my insurance policy, due to accident claims!) after a claim, I don't think they will pass on any sort of benefit to the consumers.
Old 29th April 2020, 07:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post

But in India, I don't really expect us to get our money back to be honest. Happy to be proved wrong though.
A part of that is also to do with the amount involved. In the UK for example, a 19 year old can pay amounts like 5000 pounds a year for a used hatchback. Assuming even a 10 percent rebate on that premium is 500 pounds, which is a lot of money. In India on the other hand, a basic car like that would probably cost 10 to 20 thousand rupees. A 10 percent discount on that is negligible.
Old 29th April 2020, 10:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In the Netherlands : We have a few insurance companies who have started giving rebates on their car insurances to their customers. Less traffic/Driving less accidents and they show it in their premiums right away!
That was my point, and it can be done here as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Wasn't there was a 2 month extension offered for policies expiring during the lockdown, if I am not mistaken?

Did you read it somewhere? I don't remember hearing anything similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
In India on the other hand, a basic car like that would probably cost 10 to 20 thousand rupees. A 10 percent discount on that is negligible.
Size of the amount shouldn't matter, and it may not be small in all cases
Old 29th April 2020, 14:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Size of the amount shouldn't matter, and it may not be small in all cases
It does. When you charge 10K for insurance, 1K is a lot to refund for the company, but miniscule for the owner to receive. On the other hand when you charge 5L then 50K is big for the owner but not so bad for the company. It basically comes down to high volume low margin vs low volume high margin
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks