Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2021, 16:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate

Before we go on continuing pages of discussion and speculation on whether the dealer is sincere or not, first share the estimate here with a detailed description of parts that is "estimated" to be replaced and labour charges. Its not only the DRL that would be claimed under insurance but also the bumper, surrounding trim and painting charges for the bumper. So for those who are suggesting aftermarket solutions for this damage, I guess you should revisit your opinion.

Insurance estimates are always inflated for those who don't know and later the actual figure would be much lesser. That is because these estimates are given on a worst case basis and once the insurance company approves that amount, its completely fine to arrive at a lesser figure. However if the final bill crosses the estimation, that's some additional paperwork for both the owner and insurance company. Hence there is no point in arguing about that estimate without even looking into the actuals. For example, my car had an insurance estimate of 59k and a final bill of 34k since the estimate included internal parts that were assumed to be broken but was not. Hope this clarifies. Its a new car, just claim insurance and replace whatever is needed.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 19:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by surya.roy2010 View Post
I am having to choose from the 3 options below :
While the points made earlier by fellow BHPians are valid and could prove to be economical I would still suggest option 1.

Sort of a repeat but trying to articulate better
Reasons :
- My experience with plastic components like brackets and especially headlights and fogging is pretty bad so I would rather change something like a headlight even if it doesn't have any visible damage. One of my headlight took a scrape, nothing visible but probably this created a gap/crack in the area where the lens/cover fits in the housing and its permanently fogged after that. Couldn't locate the damage and the only option is to replace it.
Since your car took a hit in that unit itself and since the insurance will pay for it better to get new and avoid potential issues later on.

- My understanding of the concept and lack of knowledge of the intricacies.
I take an insurance to reduce my worries when repairs are needed not to claim NCB.
While this seems quite hamfisted and borderline stupid considering I might be paying more premium when I make a claim, I honestly don't care much. If I am paying 40k as premium I would rather pay 44k and not bother with it.

PS : In case you're changing the headlight unit ask the ASC to install the new unit after the car is out of the body shop repairs/painting.
My other headlight has yellowed out most likely because they would've accidentally sprayed something on it and then tried to remove it with some strong solvent which damaged the lens and eventually yellowed out.
Lessons learnt

Last edited by shancz : 31st December 2021 at 19:52. Reason: ps
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 09:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I take an insurance to reduce my worries when repairs are needed not to claim NCB.
THIS! Read this statement over and over again untill you understand the concept of insurance.
vroomsome is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
While the points made earlier by fellow BHPians are valid and could prove to be economical I would still suggest option 1.

I second that, insurance is there to take care of the worries in case of an unfortunate incident like this. NCB as the word says is simply a 'Bonus' and nothing more than that.
Sahil00090 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 21:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil00090 View Post
I second that, insurance is there to take care of the worries in case of an unfortunate incident like this. NCB as the word says is simply a 'Bonus' and nothing more than that.
POST REPAIR UPDATE:
Finally, after nearly 3 weeks of delay and speculation, I got my car delivered after all the repair work.

Bajaj Allianz has given me all the claims on the left side and the workshop took 6 days to fix things and paint my XUV.

The bill stood at 37k approx.
And yes, it was about 8k for replacing the bumper and another 2k for the DRLs; hence, my as well as other BHPians apprehension about the quotation was right. The painting work of 19k inflated the bill by this much amount. Had there been an honest quote from both the workshops or availability of an independent garage, this entire mayhem could have been avoided. Nonetheless, all our fellow BHPians arguments are valid for some scenario or the other. It's a lesson learnt, next time no panicking and if possible avoid incidents at the slightest of doubts. It is a new car, I am happy that the workshop addressed most of the issues.

The following is the breakup of the bill, also I am attaching the some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-img_20220115_173444.jpg  

Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-img_20220115_173956.jpg  

Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-img_20220115_180855.jpg  

Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-img_20220115_181029.jpg  

Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-capture.jpg  

surya.roy2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 12:28   #21

Quote:

Sort of a repeat but trying to articulate better
Reasons :
- My experience with plastic components like brackets and especially headlights and fogging is pretty bad so I would rather change something like a headlight even if it doesn't have any visible damage. One of my headlight took a scrape, nothing visible but probably this created a gap/crack in the area where the lens/cover fits in the housing and its permanently fogged after that. Couldn't locate the damage and the only option is to replace it.
Since your car took a hit in that unit itself and since the insurance will pay for it better to get new and avoid potential issues later on.

While this seems quite hamfisted and borderline stupid considering I might be paying more premium when I make a claim, I honestly don't care much. If I am paying 40k as premium I would rather pay 44k and not bother with it.

PS : In case you're changing the headlight unit ask the ASC to install the new unit after the car is out of the body shop repairs/painting.
My other headlight has yellowed out most likely because they would've accidentally sprayed something on it and then tried to remove it with some strong solvent which damaged the lens and eventually yellowed out.
Lessons learnt
Thanks, followed as advised, the results are good.
surya.roy2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks