Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 13:13   #1
BHPian

New car with wrong insurance: My Honda City policy says it's for an Amaze

Dear Team_BHP,

Reaching out to the sea of wisdom contained in this forum.
I bought a Honda City CVT ZX from Capital Honda Chennai in Feb 2022 and have been enjoying the ride for the past 6 months. While renewing the motor insurance for my other car I happen to notice the motor insurance for the Honda city has a grave error on it. The Insurance document has the car model as Amaze 1.2 VX CVT Petrol and cubic capacity as 1199 with a IDV of 870000.00. I paid almost 1800000 for this car!
The Engine number mentioned matches the car.

I have raised the issue with Honda and Capital Honda (the dealership) and I am waiting for a response from them. Wanted to reach out as to what to do in the interim, is it fine for me to use the car or the insurance is void. Further what actions should I take against/steps should I take against Capital Honda.
I realize I should have been careful aswell, but I matched the engine number and the critical dates and left the rest as it was a new car and thought a due diligence would have been done.

Requesting for some views on this.
dionysus is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New car with wrong insurance: My Honda City policy says it's for an Amaze

Depending on who the insurer is, you should be able to deal directly with them and provide your RC to show proof that it is a Honda City. You should be able to provide the invoice as proof similarly, to enforce a corrected IDV. Based on these new facts, the insurer should be able to re-calculate a premium and you should be able to pay the additional amount and they should send you an updated policy document.

Now, these are all standard transactions for the American insurers I work with, in my job as a Domain Consultant in a software company. Now, if your insurer is a PSU - this is going to be a tough ask. Those folks sell and maintain policies through outdated systems and such changes are sometimes impossible for them. If it is a modern organization such as Acko (or maybe a HDFC Ergo or an equivalent), paragraph 1 will suit them perfectly...

Last option would be to cancel that insurance policy and for you to just buy a new policy directly from Acko - if your insurer is capable of providing a refund for you. The reason I'm pushing Acko's name is that they pull vehicle information (year, make, model etc.) from the Government's Vaahan database based on your registration number. There's simply no scope to get these facts wrong with them.
locusjag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happened with Royal Sundaram 8 years back back. My car model was mentioned as BEAT LT variant instead of SPARK LT in the policy document. I had to send them the soft copy of RC and they issued an endorsement certificate.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Depending on who the insurer is, you should be able to deal directly with them and provide your RC to show proof that it is a Honda City. You should be able to provide the invoice as proof similarly, to enforce a corrected IDV. Based on these new facts, the insurer should be able to re-calculate a premium and you should be able to pay the additional amount and they should send you an updated policy document.

Now, these are all standard transactions for the American insurers I work with, in my job as a Domain Consultant in a software company. Now, if your insurer is a PSU - this is going to be a tough ask. Those folks sell and maintain policies through outdated systems and such changes are sometimes impossible for them. If it is a modern organization such as Acko (or maybe a HDFC Ergo or an equivalent), paragraph 1 will suit them perfectly...

Last option would be to cancel that insurance policy and for you to just buy a new policy directly from Acko - if your insurer is capable of providing a refund for you. The reason I'm pushing Acko's name is that they pull vehicle information (year, make, model etc.) from the Government's Vaahan database based on your registration number. There's simply no scope to get these facts wrong with them.
Thanks , Its Raheja QBE, not sure if they qualify as modern. At the time of sale, I was hoping to buy my own insurance as I always do, but Capital Honda insisted they have the best quote and I should buy from them, I fell for it. I doubt I will get a refund from the insurer, its a mistake by the dealership and I am hoping they do some redemption else I loose money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Same thing happened with Royal Sundaram 8 years back back. My car model was mentioned as BEAT LT variant instead of SPARK LT in the policy document. I had to send them the soft copy of RC and they issued an endorsement certificate.
Thanks, trouble is the value amount between an amaze and city is vast, an endorsement certificate may or may not suffice, but I will watch out for that

Last edited by Aditya : 12th July 2022 at 18:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged
dionysus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:20   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I absolutely beg to differ with this below statement of yours basis the two screenshots and pic below. Screenshots were taken just now a few moments ago.

One is from the Car Info App which I use quite often and have registered my cars on. The other is from Acko. The third is my actual car pic.

My car which is actually a Mini Cooper S, shows up on Acko as a Mercedes Benz S Class 450. There is absolutely no explanation for this. And this has been whats been showing on Acko since 2020 when I first attempted to renew the insurance of this car after it came into my possession.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer to go to an agent nearby, sit and make sure all details pertaining to my cars are correct, and then renew the insurance by paying the premium. Even after taking this kind of care, mistakes do creep in. Largely owing to poorly paid half educated data entry operators who cant even spell and best of all, cant even copy accurately from the details provided. This fact holds true of the RTO’s as well.

So best to have a double and triple check on all documentation.

By the way my Insurance has not expired. Its been renewed comprehensively and well in advance and is yet to reflect on Car Info too…so that just shows you the quality of record keeping that we need to contend with in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The reason I'm pushing Acko's name is that they pull vehicle information (year, make, model etc.) from the Government's Vaahan database based on your registration number. There's simply no scope to get these facts wrong with them.
Attached Thumbnails
New car with wrong insurance: My Honda City policy says it's for an Amaze-5a2953271f5e4f5d9ab41e91148dc070.jpeg  

New car with wrong insurance: My Honda City policy says it's for an Amaze-bfd5b993256041389c8fa31fb40f90fd.jpeg  

New car with wrong insurance: My Honda City policy says it's for an Amaze-312e19f91da94a5caf3785a12c2c827c.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th July 2022 at 14:22. Reason: Add info
shankar.balan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My car which is actually a Mini Cooper S, shows up on Acko as a Mercedes Benz S Class 450. There is absolutely no explanation for this. .
Well, the agents do give an explanation. The list of vehicles is not comprehensive. Companies keep trimming the list of brands/models regularly - and the less sold cars get binned first.

I have seen the list on the company's website as used by agents.

What they do is - do an uneducated guess and pick a model. But rest of the details is what they ensure are correct: Regn number, dates, engine & chassis number etc. What they say is - the above details are what can be used to complete any requirement.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
The Insurance document has the car model as Amaze 1.2 VX CVT Petrol and cubic capacity as 1199 with a IDV of 870000.00. I paid almost 1800000 for this car!
The Engine number mentioned matches the car.

I have raised the issue with Honda and Capital Honda (the dealership) and I am waiting for a response from them. Wanted to reach out as to what to do in the interim, is it fine for me to use the car or the insurance is void. Further what actions should I take against/steps should I take against Capital Honda.
I realize I should have been careful aswell, but I matched the engine number and the critical dates and left the rest as it was a new car and thought a due diligence would have been done.

Requesting for some views on this.
Your insurance will be made null and void in case of a claim.

Since you would have paid the money to dealer during purchase, ask them to pay the difference in premium of correct IDV and model to get this endorsed in insurance document. You may be asked to show the vehicle for verification but since this is dealer mistake they will be able to do without it with the insurance company. If possible, please visit the dealership and complete it in a day to avoid delays.
thanixravindran is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 16:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have raised the issue with Honda and Capital Honda (the dealership) and I am waiting for a response from them.
Please raise it with the insurance co directly as well ASAP.

Do you have the pricelist shared with you at the time of purchase, and the receipt of the premium you paid for insurance? You can use these to prove you paid for City not Amaze.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 16:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
...While renewing the motor insurance for my other car I happen to notice the motor insurance for the Honda city has a grave error on it. The Insurance document has the car model as Amaze 1.2 VX CVT Petrol and cubic capacity as 1199 with a IDV of 870000.00.
Have you verified the registration details? Cross check once to ensure this is not a bigger mess up.

As suggested by others, avoid taking out the car till you sort the issue.
whitewing is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 16:24   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I absolutely beg to differ with this below statement of yours basis the two screenshots and pic below.

My car which is actually a Mini Cooper S, shows up on Acko as a Mercedes Benz S Class 450. There is absolutely no explanation for this. And this has been whats been showing on Acko since 2020 when I first attempted to renew the insurance of this car after it came into my possession.
Interesting. Do check once if your car's details are showing up correctly on the Vaahan portal. If it's alright over there, it means even Acko is not infallible!

But at least - Acko (or any of these modern insurance companies) invest in modern systems and they anticipate such situations well in advance to ensure that their policies can be modified as needed on their systems.

My experience with a couple of desi PSU insurers is that they simply cannot handle endorsements (such as the OP's situation), cancellations, refunds etc.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Your insurance will be made null and void in case of a claim.

Since you would have paid the money to dealer during purchase, ask them to pay the difference in premium of correct IDV and model to get this endorsed in insurance document. You may be asked to show the vehicle for verification but since this is dealer mistake they will be able to do without it with the insurance company. If possible, please visit the dealership and complete it in a day to avoid delays.
I am in contact with Capital Honda, they are working on an endorsement to the insurance, the dealership responded to a direct complaint i made with Honda. I will update on the response on endorsement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Have you verified the registration details? Cross check once to ensure this is not a bigger mess up.

As suggested by others, avoid taking out the car till you sort the issue.
The Engine number and Chassis number is correct, the registration number calls it as new on the insurance doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Please raise it with the insurance co directly as well ASAP.

Do you have the pricelist shared with you at the time of purchase, and the receipt of the premium you paid for insurance? You can use these to prove you paid for City not Amaze.
I am not sure if I have the split that shows the amount paid separately for the insurance, but will check. I am waiting for a response on the endorsement from Capital Honda, will contact Raheja (insurer) if not satisfactory.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th July 2022 at 19:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged
dionysus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 19:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
The Engine number and Chassis number is correct, the registration number calls it as new on the insurance doc.
I was suggesting you look up in the Vahaan site - https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/nrservices/ and cross check that the Govt. also thinks you have a Honda City.
Old 13th July 2022, 13:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
I was suggesting you look up in the Vahaan site - https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/nrservices/ and cross check that the Govt. also thinks you have a Honda City.
Fortunately vahan captures the correct data.
dionysus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 14:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the important part here is to make sure you have the correct IDV that you paid the insurance for. Also, make sure the Engine Capacity and spec list is correct.

I have a feeling this is a scam by the insurance providers to get a lower premium
Old 14th July 2022, 10:50   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: New car with wrong insurance: My Honda City policy says it's for an Amaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I have a feeling this is a scam by the insurance providers to get a lower premium
Definitely possible.

In some cases the dealers take money for the extended warranty and don't apply for it.

Other cases insurance agents fiddle with the NCB to maximize their earnings (Bharti-AXA insurance will rip you off on your NCB | Shady practices).
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks