Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2007, 16:09   #1
BHPian

Insurance after Modifications

Mods, i was not able to find a thread on this, so please merge this thread with any existing threads on insurance

I have a question. I just got FF Headers installed on my Verna 1.6xi. I know that this has voided the warranty on my engine. However, considering that fact the the engines are very reliable, and that there are probably 1 or 2 engine overhauls done for "non-accident" purposes a year, i am ok to live with this. However, i want to know what implication does this modification have on my car insurance. Will my insurance be voided? will i need to get a new insurance? do i need to inform my insurance agent? Its united india insurance, btw.

someone who has knowledge about this, please help!!!!!
Old 28th August 2007, 11:02   #2
BHPian

People, any responses this query?? Does no one have any idea about what happens to the insurance? After all, a lot of people have modified their cars on this forum. Someone, answer me. PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!
Old 28th August 2007, 11:32   #3
BHPian

Even I had this query for a long time. IMO you just get the mods done and keep quite about them.
Old 28th August 2007, 11:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you drive like a madman and hit someone, it could be used against you. If someone hits you and the engine bay is not affected. You will be okay.
Old 15th May 2008, 08:34   #5
BHPian

Insurance and mods

Does my insurance stands void totally because of the mods like FFE, struts, wider tyres(alloys) or of any kind in my car ??

If insurance can be covered, will the government companies(national insurance) cover for the above mods or it should be through the private insurance companies??

Shed some light on the above queries.

Thanks in advance.

Livealike.
Old 24th May 2008, 09:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If you drive like a madman and hit someone, it could be used against you. If someone hits you and the engine bay is not affected. You will be okay.
I will be okay in the sense, even if I have a government insurance policy I will get my claim in the case the engine bay is not affected ??

Anyways which insurance company to go for after mods - government or private insurance companies ??

Do we need to include our mods in our insurance policy like getting an endorsement in the RC about the mods ??

Bhpians, your guidance and expertise on this topic will be grateful because these things have been bothering me for quite sometime.

Thanks in advance.

Livealike.
Old 24th May 2008, 15:06   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My family has never had a problem with claims for modified cars. I can understand the effect on warranty, but not on insurance.
Old 24th May 2008, 16:01   #8
BHPian

No Worries

A friend of mine has a Viva completely modded. Over the last 4 yrs, he's had a string of accidents & insurance has never been a problem. His last claim was for 1.2 L and got the claim.
Old 24th May 2008, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think the issue here will be that claims on the modified parts, for eg. FFE, Air Filter, Alloy Wheels etc. may not be entertained. The un-modified/original parts will be covered anyway.

For eg. If I swap my stock steel wheels for alloys and crack/break the alloys in an accident, the insurance company may not pay me the depreciated amount on the alloys. Am I wrong on this? I'd be happy to know I am
Old 24th May 2008, 16:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have the same queries.
My car came with steel wheels and a cassette player. Now I've got alloys, a semi decent ICE and some performance mods.
I guess performance mods cannot be endorsed in the RC book. But what about the alloys ,ICE and performance components? What if I add the total cost of all mods to the value of the car? Say, book value of my car is 7l. All mods say 3l. What if I pay premium on 10ls? I also have a fairly expensive exhaust. If I'm ready to pay premium on that, it should be covered right?
Likewise, what about a tuning box? Can't I add it as an electrical item with my upgraded ICE?
And, what about upgraded tires? Performance tires are frightfully expensive. If I pay a premium on those, shouldn't they be covered as well?
Old 25th May 2008, 15:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I think the issue here will be that claims on the modified parts, for eg. FFE, Air Filter, Alloy Wheels etc. may not be entertained. The un-modified/original parts will be covered anyway.

For eg. If I swap my stock steel wheels for alloys and crack/break the alloys in an accident, the insurance company may not pay me the depreciated amount on the alloys. Am I wrong on this? I'd be happy to know I am
Good point. You can always add-on the extras as individual components in your insurance policy. Of late, some insurance companies have started asking for bills to verify the amounts, but not all. They cover alloys, performance tyres, ICE and a whole lot of other stuff.
Old 26th May 2008, 02:13   #12
BHPian

I agree with hydrashok. Insurance companies DO NOT pay and WILL NOT pay for anything over and above what the stock car covers, except for a music system, the cost of which does not exceed 10K.
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
A friend of mine has a Viva completely modded. Over the last 4 yrs, he's had a string of accidents & insurance has never been a problem. His last claim was for 1.2 L and got the claim.
With which insurance company your friend has insured his car ? Kindly let me know.

Dear bhpians, which insurance company to go for after mods - government or private insurance companies ?

Please come up with a few insurance company names those are easy to claim for a modded vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Livealike
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:27   #14
BHPian

This is what the Maruti Insurance FAQ says:

https://www.marutiinsurance.com/faq.aspx

Quote:

Can the accessories be insured?

Yes, those accessories which don't come as a part of the car and have been fitted separately will be insured separately on payment of additional premium. The premium will be 4% of the value of the electronic accessories, plus service tax on it.
Old 28th August 2008, 15:55   #15
BHPian

While I was thinking of taking alloys for my car, I have read somewhere by an auto experts (I guess Titu- who comes in CPC - AAj tak) saying if you go for Alloys after market then your insurance gets void, irrespective of any role played by Alloys in your accident or not. Not sure how true is this? Did anyone tried claim having alloys in his/her car ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks