Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2014, 11:59   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
How long does it take to get the actual insurance copy when buying a new car? I received a cover note with the car delivery and was told that the insurance card will be sent soon. It has been 2 weeks and I am yet to receive the insurance card.
The cover note is valid for a period of 30 days, so you can expect to receive the policy before that. Who is the Insurance service provider? You can call their helpline directly and ask them to mail you a soft copy.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 14:00   #3107
BHPian

How good are the HDFC ERGO people ? I am thinking of switching over to them for my Yeti. The difference from Bajaj Is a whopping 27000 thousand with all the aspects covered.

Thanks in advance.

How good are the HDFC ERGO people ? I am thinking of switching over to them for my Yeti. The difference from Bajaj Is a whopping 27000 thousand with all the aspects covered.

Thanks in advance.

The policy states in case of water ingress you have to leave the vehicle there. Just suppose it happens while you are on a tour. So one waits for the insurance team to travel 250 Kms or so while you are stuck in no mans land?

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd September 2014 at 10:42.
Old 21st September 2014, 16:02   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post

Thanks in advance.

The policy states in case of water ingress you have to leave the vehicle there. Just suppose it happens while you are on a tour. So one waits for the insurance team to travel 250 Kms or so while you are stuck in no mans land?
Yeah it is strange. If you try cranking the car after engine halts when you are in a water clog, they consider it as "intentional" damage (to ones own car!! ) and you wont get coverage. They can deny your insurance under this clause.

Some insurance companies together with car makers give coverage at an additional premium for cranking once or twice (depending on the policy) even after getting stuck in water.
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:13   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
How good are the HDFC ERGO people ? The policy states in case of water ingress you have to leave the vehicle there. Just suppose it happens while you are on a tour. So one waits for the insurance team to travel 250 Kms or so while you are stuck in no mans land?
The best people who can give information regarding HDFC Ergo are the workshop guys. Enquire how has their claim processment process been? If good you can stick to them. Also ensure that HDFC does have a cashless tie up with the Skoda workshop.

Regarding the Water ingress querry, in case you are stuck in water with stalled engine, you need to inform the Insurance guys for sure, you can get further direction from them. If Insurance co wants to visit, they are welcome. If you attempt to crank the engine and there is a failure due to engine malfunction you will be denied the Insurance claim.
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:49   #3110
BHPian

Need some advice.

My VW POLO (HIGH LINE Petrol) insurance is due for its first renewal in October.

The original policy is from TATA AIG the IDV is 592,000 and the premium was 19k, renewal quote from TATA AIG is IDV 532,800 premium 15,564

I have had no claims in the past year, so I’m assuming it will be eligible for a 20% NCB but I can’t seem to see if that has been applied. Where would I look for the same.

Now what would be the ideal/recommended IDV for the renewal, any and all guidance appreciated.
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:08   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
I have had no claims in the past year, so I’m assuming it will be eligible for a 20% NCB but I can’t seem to see if that has been applied. Where would I look for the same.

Now what would be the ideal/recommended IDV for the renewal, any and all guidance appreciated.
The IDV quoted for renewal is correct (less 10% from previous year IDV, although theriotically not correct).

The NCb should be visible in the preimum break up. If not recd, ask the Insurance co for the break up details.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:16   #3112
Senior - BHPian

This thread is extremely useful.

My Fortuner's insurance was up for renewal, and the initial quotes I got were much higher than what I had paid last year. Bharti AXA was the previous insurer, and since I had made one claim (windshield cracked due to a stone ship impact), they sent me a very high quote. Even L&T - the other insurer Nandi Toyota had a tie up with - sent me a higher quote that what I paid last year.
  • Last years premium with AXA: Rs. 20.9K
  • Initial quote from dealer (no voluntary excess): Rs. 31.4 K (Bharti AXA), Rs. 26K (L&T). IDV: 13.8L (4 year old vehicle)
  • Final quote from Bajaj for an IDV of 13L: 20.9K.
Note: you might get some additional discount over the online quote if you call the Bajaj helpline. FYI, they are tracking online form fill-ups on a real time basis.

I opted for a Rs. 7500 voluntary excess to bring the premium down. Even the dealer's L&T Ins quite came down drastically when I asked them to send a revised quote with more voluntary excess.

1. Was impressed with the Bharti AXA claims processing when I had claimed for windshield repair. Their renewal processes and rates are not good.
2. The Bajaj buying experience was smooth. Hoping that in case I have to make a claim, the processing is as hassle-free. Nandi and Ravindu Toyota workshops are listed on Bajaj's website as preferred workshops for cashless repair. Nandi Toyota had tried to tell me about how things would be better and totally cashless if I bought insurance from them, but in the end I opted for Bajaj over L&T.

EDIT: I had checked with the dealer regarding Toyota Assurance. Here is what I heard - with an aggressive player such as L&T, the commercial discount is 60%. For Toyota Assurance, the CD will only be 20%.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 23rd September 2014 at 17:26.
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:16   #3113
BHPian

I have HDFC Ergo for last 2 years for my Swift. Bought online. 3 claims in 2 years. Claim process is hassle free and transparent. Also, they have a cashless tieup with my FNG.

Earlier had Cholamandalam. Although the claim process is hassle free they are not that transparent. The biggest negative thing is after 2 claims in a year in my Zen they never bothered to follow up for renewal and did not even replied to my email when I asked them about renewal :( .
Old 24th September 2014, 08:18   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Note: you might get some additional discount over the online quote if you call the Bajaj helpline.
I opted for a Rs. 7500 voluntary excess to bring the premium down
What kind of additional discount?, can you elaborate more pls? By opting for voluntary exces you have comitted to pay that amount in case of any claim in addition to the compulsary deduction isnt it? I feel you shouldnt have opted for that. For the same amount you could have got the zero dep add on for the 5th year, isnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
The biggest negative thing is after 2 claims in a year in my Zen they never bothered to follow up for renewal and did not even replied to my email when I asked them about renewal
Cholamandalam has marked you as a high risk customer due to the 2 claims. They paid more that what they earned from you, its a bad investment isnt it for them?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 09:52   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Cholamandalam has marked you as a high risk customer due to the 2 claims. They paid more that what they earned from you, its a bad investment isnt it for them?
Yes. But what about earlier claim free 2 years? shouldn't they consider it too?
Old 24th September 2014, 10:31   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of additional discount?, can you elaborate more pls? By opting for voluntary exces you have comitted to pay that amount in case of any claim in addition to the compulsary deduction isnt it? I feel you shouldnt have opted for that. For the same amount you could have got the zero dep add on for the 5th year, isnt it?
About Rs. 800 more discount.

If I have minor damages - dents, mirrors etc. - I settle without claiming insurance.

The only time I claimed insurance is when my windshield cracked.
Old 24th September 2014, 14:45   #3117
BHPian

I will be taking delivery of my VW Polo GT TSI next week. I initially paid the entire invoice including insurance (29K) without realizing that the insurance was zero depreciation insurance. Upon enquiring I was told it would be another 15K for zero dep insurance. Is it worth the additional 15K (total 45K)? Should I just buy insurance online from Bajaj or Tata AIG? Any negatives from not buying from the dealership.
Old 24th September 2014, 16:29   #3118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Yes. But what about earlier claim free 2 years? shouldn't they consider it too?
Indeed, just as they should consider the possibility of future years profit, but sadly, they may not see beyond their nose.

You are lucky that they ignored you. Now you don't have to answer that "Have you ever been refused insurance?" (does that come on the Indian forms?) question in the positive. That is a real insurance red flag!

An underwriter in commercial (big stuff) insurance once explained to me that "declining to quote" for the business was better, for this reason, than refusing it. But your people may just have bad manners!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 17:33   #3119
Senior - BHPian

I bought a used Swift (July'2013) which has insurance from National Insurance. Insurance was renewed in July'2014 with 20% NCB and is valid till July'2015. I got the registration changed in my name, got the revised RC today.

I sold my Civic which was running at 35% NCB (HDFC Ergo, insurance valid till Aug'2015). Car has been transferred to buyer's name. Insurance is still in my name (checked at HDFC Ergo website) but it should be changed to the buyer's name in next few days.

Now I am going to transfer Swift's insurance to my name. Can I avail HDFC Ergo NCB (35% or even 20%) in my Swift?

How easy/difficult is that to do so?

Please suggest the process.
Old 25th September 2014, 13:54   #3120
BANNED

Guys could you please let me know is it compulsory to have insurance on a car which I am about to sell or the buyer could renew it himself.
The reason I am asking is that I am closing a deal for selling off my old car but insurance is expiring in next few days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks