Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Two wheeler insurance - to buy

I am looking to get another insurer for my Royal Enfield Thunderbird. It was purchased in December 2006 and has been insured with United India Insurance so far. The date for renewal is 13th of next month. UI makes me take the bike for an inspection every year and I have to pay for it too. Also, I find it a real hassle to spend nearly half a day standing in line and getting the insurance renewed.

However, ICICI offers a simple option - to even buy an insurance online. I have to buy it onine and can even renew it online. Also, no inspection of the vehicle required and no paperwork to fill in.

Now, the only question - I am a skeptical person - is there something I am missing? Is this option too good to be true? Or is it really this easy to get Vehicle insurance? Any catches involved?

And mods - if this is not the right place to post a query about 2 wheeler insurance, please move.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Normally all insurance sompanies allow you to renew the policy without inspection if the renewal is done before expiry. I dont understand why did UIA asks for inspection every year.

I think first time even ICICI may ask to see the bike. BAJAJ Alliance is also decent you can check them too.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:34   #3

Do check Buy Online Health Motor Car Two Wheeler Travel Life Home Insurance,Compare insurance quote India, they are agents for a lot of insurance companies and see if you do get a competitive quote. I checked for the premium value on this site and then went to the respective company's site to see if they have online purchase option and then proceed as desired. Easyinsuranceindia.com charges Rs100 as their charges.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I am looking to get another insurer for my Royal Enfield Thunderbird. It was purchased in December 2006 and has been insured with United India Insurance so far. The date for renewal is 13th of next month. UI makes me take the bike for an inspection every year and I have to pay for it too. Also, I find it a real hassle to spend nearly half a day standing in line and getting the insurance renewed.

However, ICICI offers a simple option - to even buy an insurance online. I have to buy it onine and can even renew it online. Also, no inspection of the vehicle required and no paperwork to fill in.

Now, the only question - I am a skeptical person - is there something I am missing? Is this option too good to be true? Or is it really this easy to get Vehicle insurance? Any catches involved?

And mods - if this is not the right place to post a query about 2 wheeler insurance, please move.
Any company can not ask for inspection if you go to them before the date of expiry of insurance policy.

Chola is charging 20% loading in Mumbai for insurance. Bajaj is not charging any loading please go to them for insurance as they are good in claims.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks...

for all the replies! Will try and contact Bajaj for the insurance details too. Though their web-site does not mention 2 wheeler insurance.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:15   #6
BHPian

Well switch to National Insurance, You can deduct NCB(if no previous claims), inspection initially and then every year they will send an estimate of premium for renewal, pay through cheque and the policy will be sent through mail before the previous ones expire.
Old 24th June 2009, 10:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
for all the replies! Will try and contact Bajaj for the insurance details too. Though their web-site does not mention 2 wheeler insurance.
Bajaj's website does not have the bike's insurance details as they are not doing that business in all India. All the companies have there preferred area for particular product's.
Old 24th June 2009, 10:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Iffco Tokio?

Hello All,

How good is Iffco tokio? I have this for my bike and not too sure if I should stay with them come May 2010. Also, I find the Premimum on the higher side as compared to last year.
Old 24th June 2009, 10:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Bajaj's website does not have the bike's insurance details as they are not doing that business in all India. All the companies have there preferred area for particular product's.
sir will all due respect all my bikes are insured with bajaj

https://www.bajajallianz.com/BagicOn...motor_dtls.jsp
Old 24th June 2009, 11:26   #10

Naveen,

Normally, insurance companies will not demand inspectction of the vehicle prior to renewal unless a) previous insurance cover has expired and b) claim history is very high in previous years.

I own a bullet and get the insurance from NIC without any hassles for past 7 years. And I found the premium quoted by NIC was less than man private players till last year. This year IRDA has removed all pricing restrictions (except TPL premium which is fixed) and restrictions on policy wordings (T&Cs) and insurers are free to file their product with additional coverages and use. Given this big change in the insurance market, I would recommend that you compare quotes from multiple insurance companies this time.

You may use some online price comparison sites like policybazaar.com or insurancemall.in etc to get the quotes from multiple insurers at one go. However, please read the coverages included and T&Cs carefully as least premium does not mean best insurance coverage this year onwards.

Regards,
Satheesh

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th June 2009 at 11:57. Reason: Removed color & font tags, please do not copy paste from an external editor, Thanks
Old 24th June 2009, 12:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

@amtak- There seems to be somethin wrong an Insurance premium can never be high from previous year.

@rjvora_2000- Bajaj Alliance very much provides insurance for bikes.
Old 25th June 2009, 09:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Think I may have been wrong...

Seems like I have missed the expiry date on one occasion. Also, does this affect my No Claims Bonus?
Old 25th June 2009, 11:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there would be any impact on NCB, not sure though.

As mentioned you would need to get your bike inspected for renewal if the earlier insurance is expired.
Old 9th August 2012, 13:17   #14
BHPian

Re: Two wheeler insurance - to buy

Reviving an old topic :

Hi Guys
Need help in renewing my 2 wheeler insurance with ICICI. It was insured with ICICI lombard last year and was bought at the showroom. When I went to renew the same online, there appears to be a reduction in the number of characters for policy number and I am not able to enter the same to renew it.

The current policy number is as shown in the example

ABCD/ABCDEFGHIJ/ABCDEFGHIJ [ Format is 4 characters / 10 characters / 10 characters ]

But for renewal online, i need to enter details in following format

ABCD/ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO/AB/ABC [ Format is 4 characters / 15 characters / 2 characters / 3 characters ]

Does anyone have any idea on how to enter the right way the policy number ?

Help Please
Old 9th August 2012, 13:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Two wheeler insurance - to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Does anyone have any idea on how to enter the right way the policy number ?
Two options:
1) Get the Insurance renewed through the dealer itself.
2) Visit the nearest ICICI branch and get the clarifications.

Generally when the dealer buys the insurance on your behalf they get a different policy no specific for dealers, hence I guess the missing information. Talk to the dealer if you can get this sorted out.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks