Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 15:03   #1
BHPian

Insurance claim for tyres

Late last week, someone stole the left rear tyre (and the alloy) from my Fiesta 1.6 S. I'm not certain if I should go in for theft insurance claim. The tyre had run 27000 kms+ now and was due for replacement in a few months, anyway. I think the tyre and the alloy combined would cost close to 10k from a Ford dealership.

I wish to understand if its a good idea to claim insurance on this one. Is it worth the effort? I have registered a complaint with the local police station but getting a copy of the statement is not going to be straight-forward. In all likelihood, I'll have to grease their palms to get the copy. Any help in this regard is much appreciated.

Cheers.
-Subhash
Old 17th January 2011, 15:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Insurance claim for tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Late last week, someone stole the left rear tyre (and the alloy) from my Fiesta 1.6 S. I'm not certain if I should go in for theft insurance claim. The tyre had run 27000 kms+ now and was due for replacement in a few months, anyway. I think the tyre and the alloy combined would cost close to 10k from a Ford dealership.

I wish to understand if its a good idea to claim insurance on this one. Is it worth the effort? I have registered a complaint with the local police station but getting a copy of the statement is not going to be straight-forward. In all likelihood, I'll have to grease their palms to get the copy. Any help in this regard is much appreciated.

Cheers.
-Subhash
Even if you go for a claim you will eligible only for 50% of the claim amount, rest you will have to pay. Experts correct me if I am wrong. You will end paying 5K from your pocket, might think about buying a whole set yourselves.

I dont understand why would you have to grease the cops to get the FIR copy. Normally one copy would be handed over to the guy who reports.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I dont understand why would you have to grease the cops to get the FIR copy. Normally one copy would be handed over to the guy who reports.
They were so reluctant to even take the statement and do a 'panchnama'. I pestered them for almost an hour after which they budged. Hence, I presume they would not hand over a copy straight-forward. Never mind! If I have to go in for a fresh purchase sans the insurance claim, I don't need the FIR copy, anyway.
Old 17th January 2011, 19:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

BTW just curious to know where and how did this happen. Seems a bit confused as to how only one tyre got stolen. I mean was the car on jack when you discovered the missing tyre? Can you please if possible try to de-mistify?
Old 17th January 2011, 23:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
BTW just curious to know where and how did this happen. Seems a bit confused as to how only one tyre got stolen. I mean was the car on jack when you discovered the missing tyre? Can you please if possible try to de-mistify?
This happened late last week, possible sometime during late night or very early morning. I live in Talegaon, Pune. The society is manned by security, supposedly 24 hours * 7 days! I bet they were snoring their lungs out when all this happened . The thieves ripped of the left rear tyre, placed the axle on a cement block and left. Thankfully, they were kind enough to leave the wheel-nuts there! I woke up in the morning, got ready for work. To my horror I see the tyre was long gone. Ruined my day, completely. Right now I'm running with the spare tyre on. I'll post some pictures tomorrow from work.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

It is quite strange to hear something like this. But not something that can never happen

What happens is something like this. Someone has a Fiesta, with similar alloys, since u say it is company alloys. Probably the alloy got badly damaged due to whatever, and they want just one. They approach a very shady shop to get it and Mr Shady starts scouting for it. Voila, he sees your car and then helps himself to an a la carte meal, where he takes only what he wants

A simialr thing happened to one of my friends friend, who went to Chor Bazar in Mumbai looking for an Alloy. They inspect the car, then go inand tell his friend to wait for sometime in their shop. After sometime they say they are in luck and sell him the alloy. They go and they fit it on his front right area, which had the spare wheel. He paid probably around 4 k for the whole thing. Later when he reached some place, he was in for a major shock to find that his left rear wheel was replaced and was now running some bad ruber and a rusted old steel rim. They basically removed his own alloy and sold it back to him. WHat can he do??? Nothin!!!
Old 18th January 2011, 18:41   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about this unusual theft, yet I'm glad that you noticed the missing tyre before trying to drive off!

An OEM Ford alloy wheel + new tyre will definitely cost you more than 10K. You will get nearly 100% of the cost of the alloy wheel through insurance. What you need to calculate is:

- What is your current No-claim-bonus?

- How does an insurance claim affect it (monetarily)?

If I were you, and my NCB was marginal, I'd just go ahead and file an insurance claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Someone has a Fiesta, with similar alloys, since u say it is company alloys. Probably the alloy got badly damaged due to whatever, and they want just one. They approach a very shady shop to get it and Mr Shady starts scouting for it. Voila, he sees your car and then helps himself to an a la carte meal, where he takes only what he wants
Weird, but true. When I needed a new door for my Maruti 800 in the nineties, a mechanic offered me just that.
Old 24th October 2019, 12:31   #8
BHPian

Should I claim insurance for tires?

My new car (i20 Asta) which has run 5000+ kms till date got attacked by dogs last week. Posted this in street experience.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4677807 (Dogs / Cats damage my car!)

Today I took the car to Hyundai. I have dropped the car there and want to claim insurance for front bumper and left tire. The service adviser marked two spots as bites/punctures.

I am waiting for them to call for the claim details. I am in dilemma.

1. With bumper to bumper insurance, do I have to bear 50% of tire costs?
2. Should I claim insurance for tires as they are relatively new and not sure whether they can be fixed by puncture shop? In dilemma because, if the tire shop cannot fix and tires have gone bad, claiming insurance makes sense, else I have to pay unnecessarily for the "replacement of new tires". But if I do not claim and later find it cannot be fixed, I cannot go back to insurance only for tires.

What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by AltoLXI : 24th October 2019 at 12:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks