Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 18:30   #76
BHPian

re: Dogs / Cats damage my car!

UPDATE

Got the panels and front bumper repainted today. Luckily there was no color mismatch, probably all that waxing and body care did not go waste. Checked for color in bright sunlight, could find difference other than renewed shine on the newly colored side panels and bumper when compared to door.

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20181120_180351.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20181120_180357-1.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20181120_180357.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20181120_180406.jpg

Few things to note:

1. They charged me overnight parking under the guise of getting External Help for fixing bumper. Though I was expecting this, I let go this time since it was already lunch time and I had office work to attend. Probably I am setting wrong example.

2. Maruti service is getting costly day by day and it is no longer "Desi hai, Apna hai" type garage anymore. This overall paint work cost me 9000 odd rupees. FNG is way to go and I will recommend FNG to anyone who asks me against taking to MASS. They are taking Indian customers for a ride with hidden charges. Bill breakdown below.

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20181120_182619.jpg
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 15:24   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Dog's mayhem! Need help!!

Today morning in the parking I noticed that the car cover of my Civic is not in place. Confirmed from the guard and he told that a dog wanted to climb on the top of the car through the (low) hood of the car. In the process, it has damaged the cover and has gifted me some scratches on the hood and the front bumper. Looks like the scratches are from the paws. The guard drove the dog away then.

Currently the scratches are not too bad and should either go away or at least become light after some use of rubbing compound. Need input from BHPians as to how to keep the dog away.

Last edited by saket77 : 29th July 2019 at 15:26.
Old 29th July 2019, 15:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Need input from BHPians as to how to keep the dog away.
Could you post a few pictures of your parking spot with the car in place as usual?
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 16:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

@saket - You ll have to think out of the box. The best of course being your building gate keeper ensuring that the dog does not get near your car. If he does this a few times over a few days the dog would take the hint.
Additionally you could try the following few things, you can spray an itching powder on the hood/roof, keep your vipers at upright position, stick those small but sharp plastic pieces on the car cover so that the dog does not get a place to sit, try parking your car in a such a way where the dog cannot climb on to the hood.
Its like one of those things you have to try to see which one works.

Last edited by bigron : 29th July 2019 at 16:30.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 16:55   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Could you post a few pictures of your parking spot with the car in place as usual?
I shall post it when I get back home. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@saket - You ll have to think out of the box. The best of course being your building gate keeper ensuring that the dog does not get near your car. If he does this a few times over a few days the dog would take the hint.
Additionally you could try the following few things, you can spray an itching powder on the hood/roof, keep your vipers at upright position, stick those small but sharp plastic pieces on the car cover so that the dog does not get a place to sit, try parking your car in a such a way where the dog cannot climb on to the hood.
Its like one of those things you have to try to see which one works.
Currently I have asked the guard to keep some inverted plastic chairs around the car so that dogs cannot make their way close to it. Not quite in the favour of itching powder etc as it can backfire.

Lets see how it goes. Open for new ideas. Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 18:47   #81
BHPian

I had seen someone place a Mat with Nails protruding upwards on the Roof of the Car to thwart Dogs climbing and settling on the Roof. Prevents scratches in the process of climbing and the Dent in the middle of the Roof.
Hopefully must have worked well.
(With no apologies to Maneka Gandhi - self appointed advocate of Animal welfare)
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 21:14   #82
BHPian

I suffer from a different cat problem. My cars have become a nursing home.

Attached is the pic of one of the 4 kitten whose birth place is the engine guard of my Safari. Car was left stationary for two weeks or so. This is when these were born. On my return took the car to a drive, I drove for almost 4-5 KM's without realising that these babies were still on the guard. They kept shouting the whole time which I couldn't figure out early. Thank god none other of these went inside engine bay, while I was on the drive.

They are now grown ups and have kids of their own and still the new generation manages to jump into anywhere in the vehicle. Either over disle tank or in the engine guard. Their Mom sits on roof of the esteem parked next to Safari.

This happens mainly after car is brought back after long drives and engine is pretty warm. Looks like these felines look for a warm place to hide and rest.

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20180702_192008.jpg

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 29th July 2019 at 21:17.
saurabh2711 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 12:24   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the spot. Thankfully scratches aren’t deep and should go away with some rubbing. Thanks.
Dogs / Cats damage my car!-576015b2ec2b49878fa0edf01a3bc76d.jpeg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-a8789ae124cb4cd9a3c4f08c0de22b5f.jpeg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-1a93133d363846b3bd9455cfca6b1f68.jpeg
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 12:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Here is the spot.
If not for those scooters, I would have suggested you to put in a U shaped (with angled corners) wire mesh 4 foot high between the 2 pillars.

I had similar problems at home, wherein a timid dog (to escape from other aggressive ones) used to climb on dad's car and my car from the side of the garage (that side is high due to presence of an underground reservoir). I put a wire mesh between 2 pillars (about 10-11 ft long and 4 ft high), and that stopped the climbing incidents altogether.

Although the dogs can, they do not seem interested to climb from the front sides of the car.

Shall post a picture today / tomorrow of the same.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 09:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Shall post a picture today / tomorrow of the same.
This is what I have put in to stop dogs from jumping into the roof of the cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Dogs / Cats damage my car!-1564545641986.jpg  

blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 15:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Try making a border using pepper powder or even pepper spray. Should cause them discomfort when they come sniffing around and act as a deterrent
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 14:46   #87
BHPian

Who should take the blame here?

It hurts and hurts a lot....

My new i20 was attacked by stray dogs which entered into our apartment basement today morning at around 3 am. They tore the cover, bit the bumper and side panel on both the sides. This is the second incident in the past one week. The dogs have been seen in the CCTV footage also.

Three days back, a brand new Nexon bore the nasty brunt of these dogs. The owner of that car has taken the parking on rent in our basement. The dogs have ferociously damaged that car also. The tubeless tire was punctured and the brake cables were cut. The hit on the pocket for them is 38k.

As today was Sunday, no one was available in Hyundai service and they asked me bring vehicle on Monday. A sales adviser however said I cannot claim insurance (though I have bumper to bumper insurance). He suggested paint job which will cost me around 10k for both sides.

Things like these never happened in our basement till now. A person has been feeding these strays everyday including some cats and pigeons. Despite telling him, he refuses to stop feeding.

The association refuses to pay for the damages. They want me to collect the damages from the person feeding the dogs. As the association is responsible for the upkeep and instructing the dos and donts in the apartment, I feel it is appropriate they bear the expenses.

Should I go legal way for recovering the expenses? How do I prove incident X led to incident Y and blame a person? By passing the blame on the person feeding the strays, the association is shirking from its responsibilities. Who is to blame here - the person feeding the dogs, the association or myself for buying a lovely vehicle and let it get damaged by lowlifes?

Damages....

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20191020_082023697.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20191020_082043382.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20191020_082103778.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20191020_082122697.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20191020_082438412.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20191020_082446304.jpg

Dogs / Cats damage my car!-img_20191020_082531909.jpg

Last edited by AltoLXI : 20th October 2019 at 14:51.
AltoLXI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 14:52   #88
BHPian

Ideally should be covered under insurance. Once my parked car was damaged by a stray cow and it was repaired under insurance.
drjanakpatel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 14:54   #89
BHPian

Re: Who should take the blame here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
Ideally should be covered under insurance. Once my parked car was damaged by a stray cow and it was repaired under insurance.
Not very sure as I was told by sales guys that dog bites/scratches cannot be covered by insurance. I will check this week though.
Old 20th October 2019, 15:16   #90
BHPian

Re: Who should take the blame here?

File a police complain or you and other people who have borne the brunt can film the act of feeding the stray dogs and post it on social media and maybe publicly shame that person?
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks