Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2019, 15:22   #91
BHPian

Re: Who should take the blame here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
File a police complain or you and other people who have borne the brunt can film the act of feeding the stray dogs and post it on social media and maybe publicly shame that person?
The other vehicle owner had taken the parking on rent. After the incident they have taken the vehicle and gone. Not sure if they are even interested in getting paid for damages.

I am contemplating taking legal recourse but once the process starts we know how it gets along. People have already blamed this guy on Whatsapp umpteen times but he is not even responding.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 16:30   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
File police complain or you and other people who have borne the brunt can film the act of feeding the stray dogs and post it on social media and maybe publicly shame that person?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I am contemplating taking legal recourse but once the process starts we know how it gets along. People have already blamed this guy on Whatsapp umpteen times but he is not even responding.
I believe the law would be on his side - if you look from a legal standpoint (IMO only / limited knowledge), insurance is to cater to such and other situations; even though you haven't been even involved personally.

Also you can't really prove feeding --> biting/damage. So he's free to keep doing what he's been doing. If you actually get involved in hitting the dogs, I believe a case can be filed on you (or whoever does that); there's legal precedent for this; even though you have reasons for the same.

Have you tried talking to him to come to a different recourse (other than stopping the feeding)? Maybe since he's already friendly with the dogs, they could be trained to be security dogs than just street dogs. Indian strays are very flexible on such matters; it doesn't take long (time and cost) to get them trained.

Where I lived in Bombay - we had got the street dogs around us to become an additional security cover to the sleeping guards in the society.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 16:37   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I believe the law would be on his side - if you look from a legal standpoint (IMO only / limited knowledge), insurance is to cater to such and other situations; even though you haven't been even involved personally.

Also you can't really prove feeding --> biting/damage. So he's free to keep doing what he's been doing. If you actually get involved in hitting the dogs, I believe a case can be filed on you (or whoever does that); there's legal precedent for this; even though you have reasons for the same.

Have you tried talking to him to come to a different recourse (other than stopping the feeding)? Maybe since he's already friendly with the dogs, they could be trained to be security dogs than just street dogs. Indian strays are very flexible on such matters; it doesn't take long (time and cost) to get them trained.

Where I lived in Bombay - we had got the street dogs around us to become an additional security cover to the sleeping guards in the society.
True. I talked to my brother in law today whose apartment also had similar issue but not involving vehicles. The corporator / BBMP (muncipality) are also reluctant to take the dogs away as they are afraid of animal right activists. They said they can be mediator but only that.
Old 20th October 2019, 17:46   #94
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dogs / Cats damage my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I had seen someone place a Mat with Nails protruding upwards on the Roof of the Car to thwart Dogs climbing and settling on the Roof. Prevents scratches in the process of climbing and the Dent in the middle of the Roof.
Hopefully must have worked well.
(With no apologies to Maneka Gandhi - self appointed advocate of Animal welfare)
Ask your own Gurus about that my friend .. I count two out of the four below in your comment.

ਹੰਸੁ ਹੇਤੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਕੋਪੁ ਚਾਰੇ ਨਦੀਆ ਅਗਿ ॥
हंसु हेतु लोभु कोपु चारे नदीआ अगि ॥
Hans heṯ lobẖ kop cẖāre naḏī▫ā ag.
Cruelty, material attachment, greed and anger are the four rivers of fire

Add to it just what you want to do to clear blood, intestines etc of injured animals off your car once your homemade kill trap works as designed.

Last edited by hserus : 20th October 2019 at 17:49.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 22:32   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Ask your own Gurus about that my friend .. I count two out of the four below in your comment.

ਹੰਸੁ ਹੇਤੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਕੋਪੁ ਚਾਰੇ ਨਦੀਆ ਅਗਿ ॥
हंसु हेतु लोभु कोपु चारे नदीआ अगि ॥
Hans heṯ lobẖ kop cẖāre naḏī▫ā ag.
Cruelty, material attachment, greed and anger are the four rivers of fire

Add to it just what you want to do to clear blood, intestines etc of injured animals off your car once your homemade kill trap works as designed.
This would deter the Dogs or Cats to sit there. Even they have sense not to go and sit on a bed of Nails.
Old 20th October 2019, 22:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The spike will not shoot up into unsuspecting animals like Prince of Persia video game. Any living animal will have sense not to climb up on spikey things. So chill with the lesson.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 05:25   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This would deter the Dogs or Cats to sit there. Even they have sense not to go and sit on a bed of Nails.
I would not bank on that. Dogs have poor eyesight and “see” by smell, and besides they often go around doing this car sitting etc in the dead of night when it is dark around unless you have a particularly well lit parking area.

All I will say is that I’ve seen similar spike or sharp object traps injure dogs before. The “kill” usually comes if they don’t get medical attention and die from blood poisoning due to any rust on the nail.

If you want to repel dogs from your parking area just convince the guy not to feed them inside your compound where vehicles are parked, outside on the street is fine.

Last edited by hserus : 21st October 2019 at 05:28.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 05:54   #98
BHPian

Quote:
I would not bank on that. Dogs have poor eyesight and “see” by smell, and besides they often go around doing this car sitting etc in the dead of night when it is dark around unless you have a particularly well lit parking area.

All I will say is that I’ve seen similar spike or sharp object traps injure dogs before. The “kill” usually comes if they don’t get medical attention and die from blood poisoning due to any rust on the nail.

If you want to repel dogs from your parking area just convince the guy not to feed them inside your compound where vehicles are parked, outside on the street is fine.
Convincing or telling someone not to feed stray animals would not be injustice to animals and starve them ?.
Religious feeling and living in the world has to be finely balanced.
While majority of population in India worship Cows and feed them, the same Cows squat in the middle of the road causing accidents. They injure innocent people on the roads. What would you suggest ? At least I would say "keep religion out of discussion here"

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 21st October 2019 at 05:59.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 08:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Convincing or telling someone not to feed stray animals would not be injustice to animals and starve them ?.
Religious feeling and living in the world has to be finely balanced.
While majority of population in India worship Cows and feed them, the same Cows squat in the middle of the road causing accidents. They injure innocent people on the roads. What would you suggest ? At least I would say "keep religion out of discussion here"
Feed them *elsewhere* other than in the compound is what I said Amrik.. out on the street is just fine eg by the side of the road. Stray dogs won't walk into building compounds unless they are "invited" by someone, they are only too aware that residents or watchmen will drive them out.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 11:32   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
My new i20 was attacked by stray dogs which entered into our apartment basement today morning at around 3 am. They tore the cover, bit the bumper and side panel on both the sides.
Yesterday evening at around 6pm started the car to check if everything was ok as I had to pickup my family from airport at 10pm and did not want any surprises. When I came to basement at 8:30pm the surprise was waiting for me. The left tire (alloy/tubeless) was punctured. Hurriedly I had to change the tire and left to airport. The security guy who was helping me mentioned that there were bite marks on tire. I am yet to go to the puncture shop.

Noob queries:

1. As this is the first time I am dealing with alloy/tubeless wheels, does the dog bite damage the tires? How different it is from the regular punctures by nails etc?
2. Not able to distinguish the bite marks (the security says so and the puncture may or may not be the result of dog attack). Even if it is, how can the multiple cuts be repaired by the shop?

Last edited by AltoLXI : 21st October 2019 at 11:33.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 12:37   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
Insurance guys are acting as they are supposed to. They are refusing to give approval for the claimed damages, saying we do not cover damages caused by Animals. Have escalated the request to higher level, hoping for the best.

Estimated cost of repairs: Rs. 11,500
Hi, wanted to check if the insurance company agreed to cover the damages done by animals in your car?

Actually last week my car (Honda City 4th Gen) also got damaged badly by a few stray dogs in a parking where I parker overnight. The dogs have badly chewed/ripped the bumper from both sides, broken the front grill, ripped off the cladding of the front wheels & engine bay, and badly scratched & deformed both the fenders !!!

I've started the claim process just yesterday, and waiting to hear from them.
Old 27th March 2023, 15:51   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manub22 View Post
Hi, wanted to check if the insurance company agreed to cover the damages done by animals in your car?

Actually last week my car (Honda City 4th Gen) also got damaged badly by a few stray dogs in a parking where I parker overnight. The dogs have badly chewed/ripped the bumper from both sides, broken the front grill, ripped off the cladding of the front wheels & engine bay, and badly scratched & deformed both the fenders !!!

I've started the claim process just yesterday, and waiting to hear from them.
IIRC I paid 50% of the total cost after negotiating with insurance provider.
k88k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 16:31   #103
BHPian

Quote:
What makes people think that you need to invite the dogs to enter your premises ? They would walk in on their own if they sense that they can forage for food in your premise.
A few strays in my neighborhood walk into my premise on their own because once when it was raining I allowed them to take shelter. Now they don't wait for my red carpet invitation - they just barge in and pilfer the carefully wrapped garbage bags.

There are 2 options to prevent dogs from entering your walled premise.
1. Easy way: Under the open gate install a cattle guard. Dogs will avoid injuring the legs.
Caveat: Children might get injured.

2. hard way: Bribe the corporation dog catchers to come and remove all the strays in your area. A neighbor has coughed up about Rs.300/- per dog some years ago. Work out the cost of inflation for the current rate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks