Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 14:57   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bolero prices being revised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The body on frame design cannot be used to incorporate safety features?
A contemporary body on frame can; an ancient, jugaad'ified body-on-frame cannot. You shouldn't expect to see the vintage Bolero pass any international crash tests. I'd be surprised if it even managed 1 star out of 5.

Remember, fitting 5 - 6 airbags won't magically make the Bolero a safe UV. Heck, the Bolero doesn't even have any modern crumple zones!

Quote:
I think the Bolero platform is robust and has a lot that can be improved on it.
Robust yes. Tough yes. Outdated yes. Jugaad yes.

Even my Classic platform is extremely robust, probably a lot more than the Bolero. But I know that it is NOT safe at all. I would rather be in my Civic in a crash than the antique Jeep, even though the former feels "less robust".

Quote:
A new platform would make it out of league of the clientele it serves.
The same clientèle that could not care less about safety. I'm not saying that a safer Bolero makes more "business sense". My comment was more toward the gentleman who asked for a safe Bolero. It's simply not possible on the same, antique platform.

You want a safe Bolero, then ask Mahindra to make a new one from the ground up. Keeping safety as a priority, of course.

On a related note, the Aria is an example of a safe body-on-frame. Tata apparently prioritised safety and it's also due for international crash tests soon. But the Safari? No ways. Another outdated, jugaad platform built without keeping safety as a consideration.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2011 at 15:07.
Old 28th April 2011, 21:23   #17
BHPian

Continuing from
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...de-mkii-6.html

The current price of Bolero Vlx is 8.4L OTR and the price of Xylo D2 price is 8L OTR in Bangalore. Xylo engine produces 95bhp and 220Nm of torque, so if the new Bolero with mDI engine is producing 75bhp, shouldn't it be priced lesser than Xylo ? Unless the upcoming Bolero has 4x4 or ABS, how will the pricing more than the Vlx be justified ?
Old 29th April 2011, 01:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

If there will be no VLX and all variants will have the mDi CRDe engine, we shall compare Xylo with SLX.

The SLX is around 50k cheaper than the VLX.
Old 29th April 2011, 10:57   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A contemporary body on frame can; an ancient, jugaad'ified body-on-frame cannot.
Oh ok, i took that as a general statement.

And with the shape and thought gone behind it yes, its far from being a safe vehicle.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Tata apparently prioritised safety and it's also due for international crash tests soon. But the Safari? No ways. Another outdated, jugaad platform built without keeping safety as a consideration.
Your first part is right but second one is wrong :-)
That is what Tata claims:
"The Safari is the FIRST and ONLY Indian SUV to be tested and certified as per 74/297/EEC (European Regulation) with regard to the protection of the driver and the front passenger in the event of a full frontal collision."
In addition it comes with front airbags and ABS, tiltable & collapsible steering, crumple zones, side impact beams, etc. In fact, from side profile, Safari resembles an estate made out of a sedan. The tapering sides render it impact absorbing ability from the sides.
Source:Tata Safari - Safari DICOR
Old 4th May 2011, 16:43   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Your first part is right but second one is wrong
I suggest we should let marketing faff remain just that.

Tata very proudly claims that it meets 74/297/EEC for the Safari. What it fails to mention is that this section dates back to 1974, and is ONE of a MILLION that make a vehicle safe. More specifically,the section that Tata quotes is:

Quote:
Council Directive 74/297/EEC of 4 June 1974 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the interior fittings of motor vehicles (the behaviour of the steering mechanism in the event of an impact)
Great. So they have a collapsible steering column. What about the rest? If they are so confident of their ancient platform, they should probably put it up in the Euro NCAP and then brag about the ratings in their marketing material. I reiterate that the Safari would get 1 out of 5 stars at best by current safety standards. And the dangerous handling / body roll at speed? Oh well, that's a discussion for another time.

Quote:
In fact, from side profile, Safari resembles an estate made out of a sedan.
Part of the same page, eh?
Old 4th May 2011, 19:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Great. So they have a collapsible steering column. What about the rest? If they are so confident of their ancient platform, they should probably put it up in the Euro NCAP and then brag about the ratings in their marketing material. I reiterate that the Safari would get 1 out of 5 stars at best by current safety standards. And the dangerous handling / body roll at speed? Oh well, that's a discussion for another time.

At least, from what I've heard, the Safari is safer than its competitors, the Scorpio and Xylo. This is from hearsay, but I've heard many a time that the Scorpio and Xylo are not that safe (read stable) at high speeds as the Safari.
Besides, the Safari was probably one of India's safest cars way back in 1998. It's probably on it's way out, or down to a lower segment, so we can cut it some slack,Heck! even praise the fact that the Scorpio that's supposed to be 5 years fresher can't match the Safari in Safety; until recently, Mahindra didn't offer airbags & (abs in the latter's case) on the Scorpio and Xylo until some time ago.

On the other hand,the Bolero is under the skin, probably a neanderthal jeep refreshed repeatedly, from the Commander to the Armada and finally the Bolero. I feel it is unfair to compare the Safari with the Bolero, the former a way " better " vehicle, and the latter doing its duty on village roads & in small cities.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 4th May 2011 at 19:58.
Old 26th June 2011, 17:39   #23
Team-BHP Support

Finally the prices are up in the website.

Mahindra Bolero

For Andhra Pradesh:
MODEL PRICE (in INR)**
DI BS3 544,975
DI 4WD BS3 NAC 586,649
DI with AC BS3 570959
SLE BS3 605,275.63
SLX BS3 652,637.41
Plus Non AC BS3 569,478.35
Plus AC BS3 605,975.22
VLX BS4 732,265.29

There is only the Vlx available in BS4.
Old 26th June 2011, 17:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

ACI July edition says Bolero with a new dash, head lamps & bumpers expected later this year.
Old 27th June 2011, 05:33   #25
Team-BHP Support

As per a reliable source, there is no longer going to have a VLX option with the 2.6L engine. Instead, the M2DiCR engine from the Scorpio EX now makes its appearance.
This would ensure the Bolero is BS IV compliant.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
ACI July edition says Bolero with a new dash, head lamps & bumpers expected later this year.
any idea as to how it would get a face surgery?

the current BUG EYES put me off buying it! otherwise i just love to have the bolero in 4WD variant!
Old 27th June 2011, 17:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

No idea mate! Expecting members with sources in Mahindra to throw some light here.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I hope mahindra engineers will not design contemporary(!) dash like XYLO this time.

As far as bumpers are concerned they were the major source of niggles in current generation Bolero. I admire simple and sturdy bumpers of GLX.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

^^ This one is more horrible (sic), it comes on your face, the rabbit tooth is present along with all the unwanted paraphernalia around.

Spike
Old 28th June 2011, 11:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ This one is more horrible (sic), it comes on your face, the rabbit tooth is present along with all the unwanted paraphernalia around.

Spike
Sometimes i thank God that i don't have any guns.

Spikey, can't you post a "spy" pic here?

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 28th June 2011 at 11:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks