Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 16:56   #31
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buy @ launch or wait

Looks like most of folks here agree that waiting is more sensible. I would agree with that.

Like to add some more points to the ones already discussed on why it is better to wait.

When a new model is launched, the OEM may not have really optimized all the specifications and part suppliers. But due to marketing department's push, production may compromise on certain parts or standards. So the first lots of cars may have issues.

Even though parts have been tested, they might meet some unknown factor and fail. This can be recognized only after the model has been in the market for a certain time. Typically these faulty parts will be rectified in later lots.

One disadvantage of buying later, specially for international models, is that within a few quarters most parts would be sourced from local manufacturers while the first lot may get imported parts from mother country plants. Thus quality maybe different. I know this sounds opposite to the previous point, but both these two factors play. It also depends on who is the manufacturer.

Finally, as many of you have said, features list usually grow with time. Thats one advantage of waiting and buying later.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well it is tough to answer this question. There will always be someone who buys them in the first lot (the testers!)

And there will always be even more someones who will buy after the above lot testifies them. It is unfair to say do not buy in the initial lot, coz if not for someone else who tested those vehicles how will you get to know?
Old 11th May 2011, 17:23   #33
BHPian

I certainly agree with you volkman10. Even I have been in one such situation. However that was something which can be fitted by the dealer as an option. That was the electric release option for 2009 Ikon TDCi. The feature came standard with the 2010 models at no increase in price, though I had to pay a hefty Rs.6500/-

Could you please quote some examples. Am not able to think of anything else.

Thanks.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:26   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
One disadvantage of buying later, specially for international models, is that within a few quarters most parts would be sourced from local manufacturers while the first lot may get imported parts from mother country plants. Thus quality maybe different. I know this sounds opposite to the previous point, but both these two factors play. It also depends on who is the manufacturer.

Finally, as many of you have said, features list usually grow with time. Thats one advantage of waiting and buying later.
Good point there.

In the case you have mentioned, compatibility itself would be a huge factor.

Not to do with cars but on the same note - a lot of my friends have had to wait for pay much higher prices for key electronic components (like motherboard) of their phones because they bought them just when they were launched and were imported set; and the spares available in India wouldn't "fit".

Until a few years ago, the basic difference between a car bought on launch and one bought later was : the latter had clear prism headlight/tail lamp assembly!
Old 12th May 2011, 15:25   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is what it looks like as seen from the responses,

Factors for Buy @ Launch

1. To be seen with the latest - Novelty factor, head turner ( Neighbour's envy!)
2. Possibilty of an having higher import content (better quality, more life,)
3. Possible post launch price increase
4. Urgency factor- need a car immediately

Factors for not buying at launch

1. Never buy a M&M or Tata's at launch ( seen from past launches)
2. If reliability is an obssession.
3. Long term ownership
4. More localized parts available after launch- possible cost reductions
5. Optimized specification based on feedback - add-ons possible to be
offered as standard feature.
6. Experienced after market support - more matured workforce

The Customer buying critera seems to be based on his profile and guess for the common man it would be to buy after launch - after 6 months(?)

Cheers!
Old 12th May 2011, 15:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-euphoria.html

Same discussion.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:32   #37
BHPian

Well the answer is quite subjective, as pointed out by many. If you have the money and, say, buying a 7 lac car is similar to buying a 10k cellphone for you, then you can splurge on a car without proven credentials just to be the first to lay your hands on it. However, most people would wait to see a car prove itself / or refine itself, before they pour in their hard-earned money on a car they may go on to keep for 7-10 years.

My own anecdote - I remember pestering my dad to get me a motorcycle (had just got my driving license) somewhere around 1996-97. Somehow my folks were biased and thought that scooters were safer than motorcycles. TVS launched the Spectra around that time (Bajaj introduced the 4-stroke Legend), and I felt it was the best compromise, and I was liteally possessed with the idea of owing one, even without seeing the scooter in flesh, let alone wait for proper reviews. We bought it and it was one of the biggest vehicular faux pas commited in our family, and my dad, till this day, never misses an opportunity to remind it to me.

A few exceptions though (and here I am talking about my preference). If Mitsubishi launches the Colt in India, and I were looking for a hatch around that time, I would definitely buy it, without waiting for reviews. Similarly, I have observed that in case of certain OEMs, especially Maruti-Suzuki in India, people do not have inhibitions in buying a brand new model at its launch.
Old 12th May 2011, 21:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This may hold true in some cases. For example, I know quite a few people who still swear by the first batch of Maruti 800 cars, even though they may not own them any more. According to them, these "made-in-Japan" Maruti 800 cars had high quality parts that were reliable and durable enough to last them many years of trouble-free service.

I have heard similar stories from those who owned the first/early editions of the Yamaha RX100 motorcycle.

Last edited by misquitas : 12th May 2011 at 21:50.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 11:45   #39
BHPian

This is my funda before buying a car which is comparatively new to the market:-

1) How has the Manufacturer fared in the last 10 years?
[Toyota, Honda, Maruti Suzuki have a name for themselves. VW has a name internationally if not in India.]

2) Wait for a minimum of one year before buying a newly launched car.
Basics of Automobile industry. No matter how good the manufacturer is. A good car can be accurately judged only after getting reviews from people in atleast 1-2 years or 30 to 40k kms.

3) Is there a 'classic' stuff from the Manufacturer as yet?
[Honda (City, Civic), Toyota (Qualis, Innova) have always clicked. Maruti has 800, Zen, Esteem, Wagon R, Swift etc. Tata has NONE.]

4) How is the service network?
[Maruti wins hands down. Tata is catching up. Toyota and Honda are always decent. VW yet to judge.]

5) If you have a friend who has taken 'that' car, he could be a good judge. Ask him!
[For eg. The Ford Fiesta has done well in the last few years. Yet the fact is that it is 'Ford' ala maintenance!!!! so its not that one shouldn't go for the Fiesta. Fiesta is too good.]

6) Availability of spares.
[Maruti wins again. Toyota and Honda spare parts costs higher but their parts don't fail much]

7) Cost of service.
[A diesel Maruti car goes for service for around 3-4k Rs. Compare this with the car in your contention. Toyota's and Honda's cost more but their service intervals are bigger.]

8) Build quality.
[Toyota, VW, Honda win. Maruti is falling in build quality, Tata is improving.]

9) Engine
[Honda, Toyota, Suzuki engines have always been too good. VW should be relieable and durable.]. Same engine used by two car manufacturers doesn't mean they are equally good. It is only the technology that us shared. Rest is all with the manufacturer. Levels of refinement, components used, overall performance, durability - all rests with the Manufacturer on how he develops the engine. Sole example is how Swift diesel performs much much better than the same engined Punto/Vista. If you look into the recent past, also note the Tata Indica had used the 1.2 Ltr MPFi petrol engine from the Fiat, but still it remains one of the cars with lot of niggles from Tata! Fiat call it 'Fire', Tata call it Saffire! ECU, exhaust systems, filters, transmission, suspension .. all play a part.

10) Price and waiting period
[Yes a major factor, but keep in mind that buying a car is a huge investment, DO NOT try to save a mere thousands and loose a better car just for the reason that u want a car 'today'.]

11) Features offered.
[Manufactures give more features when their car's don't sell and they wanna promote it like hell (read Manza!!!!). Keep that in mind. Conversely, when a car sells, offers are less (Dzire/Swift). This is market strategy. ]

These 11 points of mine are just to ask yourself whether to the take the 'risk' buying a car at launch. Yes it is still a 'risk', definitely!!!

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 13th May 2011 at 11:48.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 15:39   #40
BHPian

Well, but there are some extreme exceptions, such as the Hyundai Santro Xing which I bought after the model was successfully selling for 4 years. The crank shaft failed at 67K Kms. After researching, found out that a whole batch of Santros have this issue(there are some threads in team-bhp itself), but the issue is not there with the initial models.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:55   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Well, but there are some extreme exceptions, such as the Hyundai Santro Xing which I bought after the model was successfully selling for 4 years. The crank shaft failed at 67K Kms. After researching, found out that a whole batch of Santros have this issue(there are some threads in team-bhp itself), but the issue is not there with the initial models.

Guess there is a small quotient of luck too in the buying ,even after waiting and not buying @ launch!

Cheers!
Old 13th May 2011, 16:10   #42
BHPian

Always better to wait for one cycle of market, feedback, rectification typically 2 years time . yes there are still cases of failures after 2-3 years, make sure there is an extended warranty.

Point to note for few vehicles like Palio and Scorpio are these were very solidly built in the initial years , technically Scorpio became better , but built quality came down.

Around 18-24 months i guess is the right time
Old 14th May 2011, 08:58   #43
BHPian

Hello,
I would like to address the 2 points mainly mentioned in this discussion separately
First the Brand - Certain brands are known for making good reliable cars (Of course no car is perfect) but i believe the Japanese and korean manufacturers are doing a good job here but even cars like Hundai i20 or Skoda are idetified to have issues in the past
hence comes my next point where it is better to wait as after launch of the car, when a larger audience tests it on road then we actually come to know how good the car really is
TATA and M&M are folks who consider their pirmary batch buyers as TEST SUBJECTS whereby people end up buying their cars and with the abuse and feedback received from them a new version is launched ironing out the issues point in case, The Indica Vista Drivetech4 and Indigo Manza are much improved from their first versions
One also needs to consider that only branding does not help, for example i got a chance to drive the VW Polo and i was surprised by high NVH levels even in a petrol engine (The humming was so high, i was wondering if it is a diesel) and also the plastics were just Ok
After all it is the Car that makes / breaks a Brand and not the other way round
Old 17th May 2011, 10:10   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

So here it goes. Recent rumours of Polo and Vento geeting blue tooth-stereo-steering mounted controls,etc would mean buying at launch is disadvantageous.
But if the manufacture could provide the later 'added features' as a add-on to the early buyers then it could be different!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-spotted.html

Cheers!
Old 17th May 2011, 11:40   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

For me it's buy at launch most often, provided I have done thorough research on the car and have a good gut feeling.

Looking back in history: We got the standard 2000 in the late 80s when it was just launched, got the third C-class that rolled out of the MBIL factory(this was not a good idea!!)

I have booked the Fortuner and BMW 525d before launch without a test drive even. Superb and Altis when they were a fairly recent launch but after a test drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks