Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 18:16   #76
BHPian

Saw an Innova with the complete kit on Sterling Road in Chennai near Orchid Chemicals building last month.
Old 9th January 2013, 18:30   #77
BHPian

Re: Have you seen Google Streetview cars? EDIT : Starting in Bangalore!

Saw one today near Canara Bank Layout - GKVK Road adjacent to the park at Sahakarnagar, Bangalore! Didn't realize that it was a streetview car until I read this thread and saw the pics posted here!
Old 9th January 2013, 18:33   #78
BHPian

I saw a bottle green Scorpio yesterday in Hyderabad. It was fitted with all the gizmos on the top and on the sides of the rear tyres. However the Scorpio was not in a good condition and looked quite beaten.
Old 9th January 2013, 19:10   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
I saw a bottle green Scorpio yesterday in Hyderabad. It was fitted with all the gizmos on the top and on the sides of the rear tyres. However the Scorpio was not in a good condition and looked quite beaten.
Bang on!! That is the exact same car I saw.
Old 9th January 2013, 19:27   #80
BHPian

Saw it twice in November 2012 in DLF Phase 4 area, Gurgaon. Scorpio.

Also saw a Navteq mapping car in Dec 2012 on Sohna Road, Gurgaon. It was a Honda CRV fitted with all the equipment and gizmos.

rgds
Old 10th January 2013, 22:58   #81
IMP
BHPian

I think you all are talking about this vehicle. I saw it in Pune, around a month ago.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130110_225732.png
Views: 2382
Size:  438.2 KB
Old 11th January 2013, 23:21   #82
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Scorpio in Jaipur in Nov 2012 in busy city area. Recently read somewhere that Google Maps is now showing live traffic update for some cities. Is it possible both things be linked with one vehicle?

Have you seen Google Streetview cars? EDIT : Starting in Bangalore!-g1.jpg

Have you seen Google Streetview cars? EDIT : Starting in Bangalore!-g2.jpg
Old 12th January 2013, 18:20   #83
BHPian

Google has stopped the Street View project in India post the Bangalore incident. If any vehicle tells you they from Google post that incident, it's not true. I can't reveal further details and though I have been following this thread since some time, I could not post the above either till just now again due to certain restrictions (but it was pretty fun to see the information that was spreading on the thread in the meantime).

The Scorpio in the picture above is not a Google Street View Vehicle. The below is the correct Google Street View vehicle:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...cs/8588429.cms

In a nutshell, Google Street View no longer happens anywhere in India.

Last edited by IndianGuardian : 12th January 2013 at 18:28.
IndianGuardian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 18:45   #84
BANNED

^^ is that applicable to indoor imagery as well ?

Here is the Street View imagery equipment and its operator caught in the mirror reflection at National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi
Attached Thumbnails
Have you seen Google Streetview cars? EDIT : Starting in Bangalore!-street-view-machine-operator-small.png  

Last edited by wildon : 12th January 2013 at 19:09. Reason: image added
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 19:38   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
^^ is that applicable to indoor imagery as well ?
No, this is not applicable to indoor imagery. Google is pursuing two projects in India in regards to indoor imagery.

One is photographing the interiors of cultural institutions such as the National Museum and making it available in cooperation with the Ministry of Cultural Affairs as part of the Google Art Project: http://www.googleartproject.com/ This is an amazing initiative and you can view the National Museum artefacts here http://www.googleartproject.com/coll...-museum-delhi/

The National Gallery of Modern Art has also been done and a few other museums are now in the pipeline.

The other is photographing interiors of malls/businesses etc...think Street View for businesses. This is in the testing phase.

Last edited by IndianGuardian : 12th January 2013 at 19:43.
IndianGuardian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 07:11   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post
..In a nutshell, Google Street View no longer happens anywhere in India.
Glad that the project has been called off in India. There has been quite a serious case of privacy breach in the US.

Shocking!!

Quote:
....Google on Tuesday acknowledged to state officials that it had violated people’s privacy during its Street View mapping project when it casually scooped up passwords, e-mail and other personal information from unsuspecting computer users
Source + Full Article
Old 8th September 2013, 19:34   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

My grandmother reported that a few days back, there were two persons with cameras mounted on poles which they carried along her road. There was a car from which these two persons were being instructed over a wireless or verbally by saying OK OK. Is this google street view or something else? Did they really pull off operation from India?
Old 9th September 2013, 22:19   #88
nmo
BHPian

My 2 cents:

1. The Scorpios and Alto fleet belong to a mumbai based company that has been collecting street imagery and GPS trace for the last 3 years. As on date, they have collected imagery of 40+ indian cities. They are not associated with Google Streetview project in any way. As photographs posted in this thread would show, there are 2 equipment setups - one being a rotating camera setup that captures 360 degree panoramic imagery and the other one is more sophisticated with multiple sensors and goes beyond collecting optical street imagery.

2. Google Streetview has not taken of in India as Google has been stopped in collecting Street Imagery in the city of Bangalore and they have not been able to work their way through the archaic indian mapping laws since. However, they have been presenting their case very aggressively with the Indian Govt and one would not be surprised if they are able to work out something.

3. Navteq (better know as Nokia location / Maps in India) is the 3rd player that drives through Indian cities to collect GPS trace and code Points of Interests. They use manpower from Indian contractors to collect street imagery and they have used cars as well as motorcycles to mount their camera setups.

There are other companies like mapmyindia and others who have more modest street imagery collection programmes.

A logical question is that how is this imagery / data used? A few use cases are:

1. use the imagery / GPS trace to refine the street navigation databases - i.e. one way / two way streets, code street names from sign boards etc

2. code Points of Interests (POIs) i.e. Restaurants, Hotels, Petrol Pumps, Shops etc. There are over 50 core POI categories and similar number of extended POIs.

3. use imagery directly to be streamed over web for realistic visualization like as Google Street View.

Hope this helps.
Old 19th September 2013, 10:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

Google driver flees after Street View car crashes - Camera-laden Googlemobile takes out three cars in Jakarta !
Source: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/others/news/...and-run-419251
Old 16th October 2013, 11:19   #90
nmo
BHPian

Time to connect the dots. The 360 degree panoramic images captured by the scorpios reported by forum members on this thread can now be viewed at www.wonobo.com. However, this site has obviously not been designed for high number of hits so is experiencing latency issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks