No 12 19.67%
Maybe 5 8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2006, 00:31   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
What Boom says is 100% right. BTW Boom whats your mileage?
Mpower, I don't own a Swift, so, I wouldn't know the mileage, sorry.
Old 29th January 2006, 00:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rear space compares no where with Indica/Indigo. The Taxi operators wont even look at Swift as a second option, they would much better stick with more spacious and much cheaper Indica. Same with other economy concsious normal buyers.
Not the taxi owners, but what about families looking for premium hatchback who don't want to buy taxi as their personal car (no offence to current Indica owners, our family also owns Indica)
Don't forget Indica has enjoyed most of its success due to lack of compitition

And NO FIAT Palio 1.9D is/was not a competition

P.S.: I have voted for option Maybe, as it will depend on pricing

Last edited by adya33 : 29th January 2006 at 00:34. Reason: voting
Old 29th January 2006, 00:47   #18
BHPian

In India, I think Diesel car will always have a home.
But I don't think the Swift will get many sales in the long run.

With the Turbo Indica recently launched, the Indica is gonna give the Swift a run for its money.
Old 29th January 2006, 01:16   #19
Team-BHP Support

multijet diesel engine.. i would buy it
Old 29th January 2006, 05:38   #20
Team-BHP Support

diesel

no i wouldn't go in for a diesel version of a Swift, if ever one is made available.
it isn't worth plonking a diesel engine in a car which gives decent petrol efficiency when driven appropriately.
Old 29th January 2006, 05:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

This thread is a bit confusing. The title says Would you buy the Swift Diesel and the poll asks if it will SELL. Therefore, I am abstaining from voting at the moment until the issue is resolved but I do have an opinion so I will answer the simpler question first.

The poll question is would the swift diesel sell? Yes it will. Swift is the star of the moment or rather of the year and will continue to remain in 2006. The herd mentality will ensure MUL good sales of the Swift for a few more years unless some other company comes out with a master stroke. Again, it's India and it's a Maruti. The widest service network, cheap maintainence, best quality service (which I personally feel is hyped and is BS). Lots of reasons for the Swift DDis (as it's badged in UK) to sell.

Would I buy it? NO I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Swift and I am sure it's a fantastic car but the Multi-jet diesel is not Maruti's engine. If I want a multi-jet engined car I would buy a Fiat. Fiat invented the technology and a Fiat Multi-jet sounds so much better then a Suzuki multi-jet or a Suzuki DDis. It's just me. I am a little finicky about these things. Platform sharing, technology sharing is all fine but when it comes to buying, I would stick to the original developer. If tomorrow Chevrolet Optra or Skoda Laura is avaliable with a I-VTEC engine would you buy it? I wouldn't! I would wait for a year for Honda to launch the Civic I-Vtec. In the same way I would buy a Laura 2.0Turbo FSi over a Honda Civic 2.0T FSI.
Old 29th January 2006, 15:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hell yeah, I'd buy one!

BTW, for all you Swift performance freaks, that thing is terribly slow. In India, it uses a 15 year old engine, so whoever is buying it for performance doesn't know much now, does he?

The 1.3 JTD will come with 70 bhp and about 15 kgm of torque. With a PSI Motorsport package, that figure goes to about 85 bhp and 17 kgm. Now tell me that the petrol is a better performer...
Old 29th January 2006, 16:55   #23
BHPian

only if they put in the Fiat Multijet or a common-rail based engine, or even something like the fiesta.....
well - now that i think about it, the 1.4 TDCi engine on the fiesta may just be the right size for the swift - it is way underpowered for the fiesta anyway
Old 29th January 2006, 17:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
If tomorrow Chevrolet Optra or Skoda Laura is avaliable with a I-VTEC engine would you buy it? I wouldn't!
I would - that would constitute a good car. Honda makes terrific engines and reliable but bland cars. If you can get the performance and peace of mind of the Honda engine with a decently built Skoda body THAT would be a car to buy.

If only one could mix and match that way. So what if Maruti gives us a car with a Fiat engine? If Fiat has no issues with selling it to them, why should anyone else have a problem with that?

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th January 2006 at 17:59.
Old 30th January 2006, 01:10   #25

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

depends a lot on the pricing though....otherwise i cant fancy myself driving a diesel....i wudnt drive a diesel anything.(well....except the new audi lemans diesel) and as far sales go...kindly refer to mr.Boombastic's comment.

Last edited by hellspawn : 30th January 2006 at 01:12.
Old 30th January 2006, 16:48   #26
BHPian

hi people

any diesel car in india with good looks & FE will sell for sure

but for me if the diesel comes with a powerful engine i would consider buying it
Old 30th January 2006, 17:25   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fiat invented the technology and a Fiat Multi-jet sounds so much better then a Suzuki multi-jet or a Suzuki DDis. It's just me.
Mercedes Benz invented ABS. Would you not buy any other car with ABS? I dont care who the inventor it - All I want is to own a car the way I like it.

To answer the original question of this thread, YES I would love to buy a Diesel Swift. But the asking price, I fear, is going to be way over the 5 lac mark.

GTO
Old 30th January 2006, 17:45   #28
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
This sounds like an interesting project boombastic...
I would not buy the swift no matter what engine it comes with... personally i dont like the car... they did a bad job of copying the mini...
I agree with you wholeheartedly.
It has a face that only its mother would love.

And the rear window (porthole?) is so small, that God forbid, if the doors were jammed, like what happened in the Mumbai floods,
a normal Indian adult could not escape out of it to freedom!

Last edited by Ram : 30th January 2006 at 17:53.
Old 30th January 2006, 17:59   #29
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Mercedes Benz invented ABS. Would you not buy any other car with ABS? I dont care who the inventor it - All I want is to own a car the way I like it.
From my old knowledge base, if I recollect correctly, I think, ABS was actually invented for stopping planes - especially war planes on bad runaways?

RK
Old 30th January 2006, 18:41   #30
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
This sounds like an interesting project boombastic...
I would not buy the swift no matter what engine it comes with... personally i dont like the car... they did a bad job of copying the mini...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
I agree with you wholeheartedly.
It has a face that only its mother would love.

And the rear window (porthole?) is so small, that God forbid, if the doors were jammed, like what happened in the Mumbai floods,
a normal Indian adult could not escape out of it to freedom!
Has a face like a camel (dromedary) I think!
Let me do a drawing.

Last edited by Ram : 30th January 2006 at 18:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks