Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2006, 15:19   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
scapegoat?
These trucks are interstate ones which enter delhi, and usually drive like this, wrong side/no regard for signals.
the problem to an extent is the law.
Indian law says
X hit Y, X bigger than Y Xs fault.
Thats about it.
Jumping red light should mean a 5000rs challan, not a 100rs.
In delhi if you go at 51kmph in a 50kmph zone you have to pay 400rs, but if you put lives at risk by jumping a red light you pay 100rs.
One the peripheral ring road is completed, all non delhi destined vehicles need not enter delhi. this will take care of the traffic problem to a large extent.
Hey, This was not an inter state truck .. it was a local truck !! And there is a ruling and pretty well enforced where non delhi destined vehicles are not allowed entry into Delhi and have to take the by pass routes ... but then a few bucks here and there wud surely allow few trucks to enter but the situation is not as bad as was a few years back ...

Cheers
Old 14th February 2006, 15:33   #32
Team-BHP Support

It was an HR truck. Lots of non delhi destined trucks enter delhi in night, and exit by early morning. The problem is reduced but still quite a bit prevalent.
the reason is that from Haryana to Agra, delhi is like one big island in the way. Detours through meerut are very very long. Only when the eastern and western expressways come up this problem will be solved.
Supreme Court has given 2008 deadline to govt but seems NHAI is sitting on it. There is talk about giving it to private contractors etc., but all is mired in red tape.
Old 14th February 2006, 17:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
scapegoat?
These trucks are interstate ones which enter delhi, and usually drive like this, wrong side/no regard for signals.
At least 80% of all trucks and almost all dumpers running in Delhi have Haryana registrations; 'coz road-tax in Haryana is much less than in Delhi and UP. I commute daily from Noida to Okhla and back; out-state trucks are not allowed to ply between 7 AM and 9 PM; but I myself has seen umpteen times truck-wallahs handing a Rs. 50 note to the cop at check-post, and enter Delhi during this period.
Talking of road-tax in Haryana. many in Delhi and neighbousing areas in UP get their cars registered from Haryana to same money. Recently one of my neighbours, whom I used to consider as a sensible guy, got his Indigo registered from Gurgaon, and saved about 12K. I wondered if it was really worth...

\N
Old 14th February 2006, 17:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer
Recently one of my neighbours, whom I used to consider as a sensible guy, got his Indigo registered from Gurgaon, and saved about 12K. I wondered if it was really worth...
\N
Saved 22k on my Fiesta SXI and I think it was worth it - there is a popular theory about HR registration fetching a lower resale value compared to a DL but I don't think that's true for the HR26 series that is basically for NCR (useful for people who live in Gurgaon and come to work in Delhi); I live in GKII now but will be shifting to Gurgaon eventually and I thought the 22k saving would be worth spending on other things for the car......
Old 14th February 2006, 18:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Off topic: But is it allowed to register your vehicle at another place (or another state) where you don't stay? My understanding is that, this is illegal. e.g. I stay in Pune and I can not have RTO registration for Pimpri Chinchwad area. I need to show address proof for the same.
Old 14th February 2006, 19:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Off topic: But is it allowed to register your vehicle at another place (or another state) where you don't stay? My understanding is that, this is illegal. e.g. I stay in Pune and I can not have RTO registration for Pimpri Chinchwad area. I need to show address proof for the same.
It is illegal as hell but in India one can get away with anything by greasing some palms. Infact one doesn't need to do much, just tell the dealer where you want to get the car registered at. Initially they will pretend to be unable to do it but if you tell them to take your business elsewhere they will get it done. The bribes asked are too minuscle, abt 200-400 bucks.

\N
Old 14th February 2006, 19:02   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Hey,

Its not possible unless you show residence proof of that state but I'm sure these guys have a property there and used that address to register in Haryana !! A lot of guys do that these days ...

I also bought my swift from delhi but got it registered in Himachal .. the road tax in Delhi is 4% whereas in Himachal its 2% only !! And if you wondering why I bought it in Delhi .. its coz I was getting the car cheaper by about 4K plus accessories worth 15K with it which I wasn't getting from the dealer in Himachal !!!

Hope I answered your question .....

Cheers
Old 14th February 2006, 20:14   #38
Team-BHP Support

There is this mela in UP where cars have 40000+ off due to no tax thing. Lasts for 2 weeks or so. Lots of people buy cars from there and get registered at their home state.
As for this inter state thing there are lots of people getting registerations done on fake addresses
Old 14th February 2006, 21:30   #39
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jumping red light should mean a 5000rs challan, not a 100rs.
In delhi if you go at 51kmph in a 50kmph zone you have to pay 400rs, but if you put lives at risk by jumping a red light you pay 100rs.
I couldn't agree with you more.... (hey but not 5k!!... the cops get an opportunity to exploit)
BTW the whole of Delhi is a 50kmph zone.

Coming back to the topic.... I am a firm believer that 9 out of 10 accidents can be avoided if the person not at fault was driving consciously.. and takes steps to avoid the accident .. by going out of his way.

By going out of his way I mean.... he does something he is not actually legally required to do.... e.g. Giving right of way to the vehicle coming from the wrong side.
Old 15th February 2006, 14:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
By going out of his way I mean.... he does something he is not actually legally required to do.... e.g. Giving right of way to the vehicle coming from the wrong side.
In the present case, from what I understand, it happened coming out of a curve at around 3 in the morning so I'm guessing the poor Palio driver would not have even thought there would be something coming the wrong way and he didn't even have the time or space to give the truck the right of way.

Having said that, I'm a little over-cautious myself in this crazy city we live in - I take my foot of the pedal most times on high speed stretches at traffic intersections, even when I see the light is green (my way) as you would normally always have some a*****e breaking a red light and coming at you from the right or the left or head-on at all hours of the day or night!
Old 15th February 2006, 14:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey,

Its not possible unless you show residence proof of that state but I'm sure these guys have a property there and used that address to register in Haryana !! A lot of guys do that these days ...
Spot on Khaadu75! That was how we managed. These days they (Haryana RTO) have become a little stricter & need some kind of a Govt document, they do not accept builders certificates or Airtel landline bills or a non-nationalized Bank certificate; so either a BSNL phone bill or a registered conveyance deed or a proof of address certificate from a nationalized bank (which is what we used).

I'm sure the greasing of palms works as well but we didn't have to go that route thankfully! And its legal since we have the property and will (hopefully) be shifting there soon.
Old 15th February 2006, 20:00   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Spot on Khaadu75! That was how we managed. These days they (Haryana RTO) have become a little stricter & need some kind of a Govt document, they do not accept builders certificates or Airtel landline bills or a non-nationalized Bank certificate; so either a BSNL phone bill or a registered conveyance deed or a proof of address certificate from a nationalized bank (which is what we used).

I'm sure the greasing of palms works as well but we didn't have to go that route thankfully! And its legal since we have the property and will (hopefully) be shifting there soon.
Hey, Not only in Haryana but in most other places as well the private landline number bill, pvt banks proof of residence certificate, or a builders certificate are not accepted as proof !! You have to give them what you mentioned ... electricity bill, BSNL telephone bill, Voters ID card or a nationalised bank proof of residence certificate !!!

Where do u stay at present , probably meet up at the next delhi meet ... though dunno when thats gonna happen !!!

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks