Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 23:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

What can we do to keep pollution in check?

In the last few years there has been an unprecedented rise in car sales that means the emission as a whole is on the rise.

The OEM manufacturers are forced to meet emissions to sell their cars. But are we doing anything to protect the environment? What is that we as individuals can do and contribute here.

I think it is most important to get the car properly serviced and regularly check the PUC. A poorly maintained car can emit pollution upto 10 times than what it should. Incorrect valve clearance, running with same oil for a longer period of time, running with faulty cat-con can result into more emissions.

There is still no encouragement for a customer to buy a greener car. No one ever cares about ppm of Co, Nox or PM while buying a car. For a customer it is only Mileage that matters. (It is not necessary a car with more mileage delivers less pollution. However Co2 emitted should be less)

I have witnessed a very noble idea ( And that is the reason for this post). On a toll plaza, a group of school students were found distributing plants to the car owners. If we can at-least plant a few trees or saplings even on a pot (incase are residing in an apartment) may be we can neutralize some of the Co2 our cars emit.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this thread. So mods please take care if necessary.

Last edited by oxyzen : 30th July 2011 at 23:41.
oxyzen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 23:51   #2
BANNED

Re: What can we do to keep pollution on check?

Ride a cycle. Leave the car at home.
kumar2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 00:25   #3
BHPian

Thoughtful topic mate. The greenhouse gas and climate change is hot on the global diplomatic table. Vehicle pollution contribute substantially to warm the atmosphere and we all know where it is leading.

On the personal level we can reduce our carbon footprint by following few important process, that I feel, we all can do at various level.

1. Avoid taking motor vehicle to the neighbourhood grocery store where a mere walk will suffice. That will double up strengthening the capillaries deep inside the lungs.
2. Turning off the vehicles at traffic signal if the duration is substantial.
3. Nurturing plants on a window sill can help reduce the footprint.
4. Car pooling anyone?
5. Relocate close to workplace to reduce the commute.

I guess the future lies in clean green energy and if a responsible auto industry attempts to bring in Eco friendly hybrid engineering to aam junta, that will be the day to look forward.
doxinboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 01:12   #4
BHPian

The answer is quite simple really - Adherence to laws.

The Emission Standards prescribed in India are meant to do just that - Control Pollution. The issue is non-conformance and total disregard for these standards.

When was the last time you saw the PUC vehicle actually checking the PUC status of a vehicle, and providing certificates as measured? I for one, am yet to come across one.

Emission Standards in India: Emission Standards: India: On-Road Vehicles and Engines
Old 31st July 2011, 03:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Now its time for all of you petrol heads to revert back to the boring stock exhaust.
Old 31st July 2011, 08:44   #6
BHPian

Hi. I've been car pooling for couple of months now. It really works for me. Besides reduction in petrol bills, gives me a relaxed transit on alternate days.

Also, given the bad roads where you can hardly enjoy more powerful vehicle, I use my santro most of the times for commute to office. The Laura TSI (which consumes more fuel) is used on weekends when traffic is usually less and we need the boot / go on longer drives.
Old 31st July 2011, 09:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
In the last few years there has been an unprecedented rise in car sales that means the emission as a whole is on the rise.

The OEM manufacturers are forced to meet emissions to sell their cars. But are we doing anything to protect the environment? What is that we as individuals can do and contribute here.

I think it is most important to get the car properly serviced and regularly check the PUC. A poorly maintained car can emit pollution upto 10 times than what it should. Incorrect valve clearance, running with same oil for a longer period of time, running with faulty cat-con can result into more emissions.

There is still no encouragement for a customer to buy a greener car. No one ever cares about ppm of Co, Nox or PM while buying a car. For a customer it is only Mileage that matters. (It is not necessary a car with more mileage delivers less pollution. However Co2 emitted should be less)

I have witnessed a very noble idea ( And that is the reason for this post). On a toll plaza, a group of school students were found distributing plants to the car owners. If we can at-least plant a few trees or saplings even on a pot (incase are residing in an apartment) may be we can neutralize some of the Co2 our cars emit.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this thread. So mods please take care if necessary.
Thanks for raising the issue and, congratulations for taking the first step - that of acknowledging that the problem exists.

One part of solution is for the users to become more responsible. However, this issue is not just about being good samaritan. I think it is about the rights of people of tomorrow. And preventing theft of the commons.

Apart of from laws that promote fuel efficiency, the government should insist on carbon neutrality for all stages of life of the vehicle - production, operations, maintenance, and end of life disposal.

It is not difficult to calculate the carbon foot print for manufacturing. So cost for planting and maintaining trees to neutralize the emissions should be built into initial manufacturing cost. This should go to verifiable plantation, prevention and protection of degradation of forest.

The same should be done for each litre of fuel purchased. Charge carbon neutrality tax on fuel. Also make sure that the money so collected actually goes there.

Cars with high occupancy should have reserved lanes. Delhi had painted its roads for Commonwealth Games. Those markings could have used defining reserved lanes for cars carrying more that two persons.

This issue is not about charity, or "let me do some good to unload my guilt". For we tend to do this when there is nothing else to be done, peace meal - when I get time and when and if, I have some money left. It is a favor done to nature. Let us save the Earth.

Earth would be fine - in fact much better without us. It is the survival of human species threatened by our current lifestyle. A lifestyle funded by stealing resources that belong to someone else and from tomorrow. That is the issue.

This should be our top priority. Cars and roads, and those who use them (people like me) are cheating those those who will live tomorrow.

"The Tragedy of the Commons" is unfolding here. The only way to check and reverse it is through strong implementable (and verifiable), thought through rules, guidelines and traditions.
SushilBajpai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 10:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

When buying a second car for city usage (or for a senior member of the family), instead of going for alto/spark, something like the Reva would greatly help in reducing the carbon footprint. Even in the case of 2 wheelers, for short distances (running errands within the city) electric scooters like Yo-bikes would do the job instead of a petrol scooter like Activa/Access, etc.

Peak oil phenomenon is already at its peak and no new oil reserves are getting detected. The fuel price situation will only worsen in the next few years

Last edited by KarthikK : 31st July 2011 at 10:09.
Old 31st July 2011, 13:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Reva would have been a very sensible choice had it been at-least decent looking.

I think it is the commercial vehicles that are more polluting. I have seen numerous busses and trucks emitting ultra black smoke from the exhaust. If only there was a site where I have posted the registration number of these vehicles I would be happy to help.
Old 31st July 2011, 14:55   #10
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2011 at 10:41.
kumar2007 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st July 2011, 15:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

If your home office commute is less than 10 kms, consider cycling.

Takes almost the same amount of time.
Makes you healthy.
Saves petrol/ diesel expenses.

Chose a cycle. Makes your healthy and keeps the planet healthy.
Old 31st July 2011, 16:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

To all you guys who consider cycling please take a look here.

Heart attacks: Cycling to work is one of biggest causes | Mail Online

Food for thought!
Old 31st July 2011, 17:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: What can we do to keep pollution in check?

From the same article:
Quote:
Judy O’Sullivan, senior cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation, said the benefits of exercising outdoors outweighed the risks from air pollution for most individuals, and urged people not to be put off running, walking or cycling in towns and cities.

Please note that cycling is no worse than motorcycling in the amount of pollution you get exposed to.

There is a very simple way to avoid the same.
Change your work timings.

Also note that a healthy body has a greater degree of immunity and protection available to it. Cycling makes your body healthy.
Old 31st July 2011, 17:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: What can we do to keep pollution in check?

You want food for thought? Read this:
Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO<SUB>2</SUB> from cars - Climate Change, Environment - The Independent

Quote:
A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.
Just make sure that the food is not beef
Old 31st July 2011, 17:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
To all you guys who consider cycling please take a look here.

Heart attacks: Cycling to work is one of biggest causes | Mail Online

Food for thought!
Headline is attractive but misleading.
Article assumes, cyclists take polluted roads to travel. If we do cycling, there is choice to take better and greener paths.
anoopap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks