Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:56   #46
BHPian

Re: India's first self-service petrol outlet!!!

This should be fun. But are we ready for self-service gas stations. I personally feel that this concept is too early for our markets and the advantages at this point of time are very limited.
Old 3rd September 2011, 08:34   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Good initiatve indeed. Company's seem to have realised, that there is no other options than starting self fueling stations. Kudos to IOC. Hope others take note and follow. Hope this initiative does good and is soon, implemented nation wide.

What remains to see is, if people are honest enough to go and pay for the fuel. What if someone makes a quick dash after re-fueling? How do they plan to track down the culprit?
From previous post:

2) select option for amount in terms of fixed amount or full tank
3) swipe your card and once it shows approved, it starts filling

So I guess so far so good it is safe, unless our very own Indian Talent comes up with something
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:46   #48
BHPian

I hope this format clicks. Getting good crew is extremely difficult these days. My gut feeling here is that it will take minimum 10 yrs for this format to actually kick in. But automated filling stations are bound to stay, that's for sure.

Suggestion to all who plan to use this facility: Carry a pair of gloves in your car!!

PS: For all those citing reasons like loss of job, please let me know where do you find the unemployed labour who will be willing to take up a job like "filling fuel". I am very interested to know this.
Old 4th September 2011, 13:36   #49
BHPian

About time I say. These will probably come up in areas of affluence where there would be more awareness (?) on the 'how tos' of these pumps. Maybe a couple of them on the MPEW will be good.

It would also be interesting to know the price difference between the regular pump machine and the one for self service. At the risk of getting brickbats, I believe the pump owner is out there to make money and not provide employment. In fact, at quite a few pumps near to where I stay, I feel there are more pump attendants than required.
Old 5th September 2011, 13:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

Great Initiative by IOC. Self fueling should be the next big revolution and I have no doubts that it will work well in India. A bit like how ATM machines reduced the reliance on manual teller counters/ cashiers at Banks. I am hoping the next test should be in Bangalore. Bangalore has the highest incidences of petrol pump cheating reported on Team-Bhp.
Old 5th September 2011, 13:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

I dont see this working within our crowded city limits .I wouldnt want to have the fuel pipe in my hands when I am driving to work !

I would have rather preferred to see something like this outside city limits where we could have outlets with the option of manned and self service pumps .

BTW are they offering a lower fuel price on these self service machines?
Old 5th September 2011, 13:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
It would also be interesting to know the price difference between the regular pump machine and the one for self service. At the risk of getting brickbats, I believe the pump owner is out there to make money and not provide employment. In fact, at quite a few pumps near to where I stay, I feel there are more pump attendants than required.
I don’t think there will be any difference in Price. According to one of my friend who knew a pump owner “These attendants are unpaid because they earn enough by cheating. In fact many pump owners demand 'Hafta' from the attendants.”
Based on the reports of cheating across the pumps, I wouldn’t be surprised if its true.

The increased number of attendants is probably to distract customers so they can carry on their usual theft.
Old 9th September 2011, 18:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

I would welcome this with a big hug. When we enter fuel pumps, there are so many questions thrown at us, ordinary or Speed ? Cash or Card? How Much ? Tank full sir ? etc etc

In a self service kiosk, I know what i need and would select options accordingly. also the "miscommunication" (cheating) that is quoted (filling for 50 then 500) all can be avoided. In a country like India, where the average attitude is to cheat, This will at least keep some venues open for those who do not want to get cheated.

I personally like to fill up from Self Service kiosk if the options exist. Self help is the best help wherever possible.

For those who prefer attendant filling, there is and will be an array of pumps offering the services.
Old 9th September 2011, 23:17   #54
BHPian

Quite a good option considering the direction the Indian auto scene is headed towards.This should atleast start in the metro's first and I'm sure there will be enough interest to sustain this over a period of time.The question is when?
Old 16th September 2011, 15:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Annapurna Service Station on RV road Jayanagar, Bangalore has installed a self service pump in their outlet.
I was there yesterday to fill fuel and noticed "self service" written on the adjacent pump. I asked the attendant about that. He replied about it being newly installed and currently only accepts cash and will involve card payments soon.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 17:25   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
BTW are they offering a lower fuel price on these self service machines?
Lol!

Dreaming is a wonderful thing, isn't it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
He replied about it being newly installed and currently only accepts cash and will involve card payments soon.
Cash will be collected by an attendant or has to be fed into a machine? If it is the latter, I hope the machines are good.

The BESCOM automated bill payment system is a pain to use; it takes about 10 attempts for the machine to accept 1 crisp 100-rupee note.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:39   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore's first self-service petrol outlet!!!

Bangalore has it's first self-service bunk ! It's the IOC bunk on Bull-Temple road. If you dont believe it, check this pic:

India's first self-service petrol outlet!!!-iocself.jpg

Pic shot by my friend PD Sathishchandra. In his words:
Quote:
This petrol pump on bull temple road had this sign, when enquired they said, if you do not trust we using the fuel gun to fill your tank, you can "SELF SERVICE" and do it yourself
Old 6th December 2011, 22:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Delhi has 2 Self Service Pumps, one as mentioned near IIT and the other at IOC Pump, opp. Khalsa College, North Campus. I went there and one of the attendants refused me to fill inspite of the Life-Size Self Service Board there. This is when the Forecourt Supervisor intervened and reprimanded the Attendant. The Manager also came and was very courteous, informed me that one machine is coming to an IOC Pump in South Delhi with Automatic Payment Collection.

This Pump is on the road going towards Vidhan Sabha/ Kashmere Gate from Khalsa College.
Old 6th December 2011, 22:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

Yipee that is the way to go. I am really all in support for Self Service.

This will be opposed by the pump agents but i still would like to see where this goes. I personally Will everytime fill at Self-Service pumps only.

I hope this does not become like the self service "trolleys" at railway stations, which are damaged and broken up by the porters so that thier business is not hampered. Similarly, i hope the self service pumps are not damaged by the attendants so that people are forced to fill in using attendants and fall prey to thier cheap tactics.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 6th December 2011 at 23:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks