Old 17th September 2011, 22:05   #16
IRS

Re: The 15-20 lac Quick Car Guide!

Nice and precise summary. Very well done

Just one correction though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Corolla Altis

+Lots of features, touchscreen audio, Xenons with washers, power drivers seat.
The Altis has HID headlamps not Xenons.
Old 18th September 2011, 20:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRS View Post

The Altis has HID headlamps not Xenons.

Same thing my friend. High Intensity Discharge = Xenons.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 17:23   #18
IRS

It's official ..

Actually I confused Projector Xenons with Xenons. And thought HIDs were totally different.

Thanks for pointing out mate.
IRS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 22:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Though you have already mentioned, let me reaffirm that yes the turbo lag in the manual cruze is surely almost negligible now. Drove one just 3 days ago and boy o boy is it a hoot to drive or what ! Soot ahead almost immediately ! I guess that problem has been laid to rest for the better.
Good to know that. How about the clutch-stiffness? Is that problem (some of the earlier reviews pointed at a very stiff clutch pedal to the extent of causing knee pains over long drives) solved now for the better?
Old 21st September 2011, 09:57   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Just one point on the Corolla Headlights I would like to add here:
The Corolla Altis headlamps are Xenon HID Lamps, housed in traditional reflector based Headlamps, which does not deliver much benefit in terms of better light levels / focus for HID. HID lamps only deliver their full benefit and better lighting when used with Projector lens based setup (like the Laura VRS has). There is a big cost difference between the two.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Good to know that. How about the clutch-stiffness? Is that problem (some of the earlier reviews pointed at a very stiff clutch pedal to the extent of causing knee pains over long drives) solved now for the better?

Nope. Not at all. Infact, anything of the sort and i would have remembered surely since my daily drive is a civic, its direct competitor (excluding the petrol vs diesel part). The Civic's clutch is just perfect IMO and any drastic variation in the Cruze and i would have had every reason to sulk. But nope, no such issues sufficed at all. It was fairly neutral. Not too stiff, not very loose either. Just that post the civic, i personally found the cruze's steering to be vague. The civic has a fantastic steering.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:37   #22
BHPian

The idea is good but i feel as someone who is viewing for information and making a choice- there needs to be some more info on the pros and cons. Ex- interior quality, space, and a few more things to enable a user to know which one to choose from. Maybe a consolidation of the test drives that figure on each car.
Old 22nd September 2011, 13:21   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Diesel engine cars in general end up going a segment higher in price terms, will higher segment petrol engine cars end up coming a segment lower. If instead of 15-20L you had the range as 15-22L the Superb Petrol would be in the range.

Diesels are getting more and more fun to drive and now I would actually prefer a diesel even if the cost of fuels was the same, provided the car also costed the same as the petrol.

I do also get a feeling that the price differential between petrol and diesel is maximized by the car manufacturers to increase profits on the higher selling diesels, while petrols continue to be the lowest priced models to just get mindshare when advertising. The price differential would possibly have been lower if the cost of petrol was closer to that of Diesel.

The Report covers all bases - So which does one go for in this segment? Some are obviously left behind like the Sonata and now even the Civic which is a bit dates and with a petrol engine not too many are lining up for it today, though it was in my wish list as well a few years back. Wonder how many Altis Petrols sell today vs the diesel? Laura VRS is more a flagship range statement that will probably not set the sales charts on fire either from the early reports.

I believe if you are into petrols then Superb petrol close to 20+L is the best bet, as also the Laura base petrol. (same engine remember)

While in diesels Jetta, Laura, and Cruz make a good case for themselves. But in MT Laura diesel with 110 bhp misses the point so if AT then Laura or Cruz and if MT then Jetta is whe way I would go. The Jetta AT does skimp of some of the features that the Laura AT gets you so...

Petrol Civics and Altis are best considered as 12-15L range vehicles.

Nice discussion started by 1234
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Is this 15-20L range as per Bombay prices?

For eg, the top end Civic AT, Cruze AT, Altis AT are probably all below 15L OTR in Calcutta. Here the Kizashi would fall in this category too @18/19 OTR.
You have no idea how lucky you are, here in Bangalore all these cars are above 15L OTR. And Kizashi is above 20L OTR. Looks like we the the highest for every dame thing on earth here in Bangalore. To get you what I am talking about, petrol is now Rs. 74.5 / ltr here!!!
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:49   #25
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
From what I read in other thread its free without any cost to the buyer.

I have been on similar search and contemplating , looking Vento TDI highline with new add on steering mounted controls and new head unit the OTR in Hyd is 12.2 lacs.

The price made me re think that I could strech a bit and rather pick up a next segment car likes of Civic ( could settle for Petrol ).

Civic has offer of Caska which will be fitted and offered by Honda showrooms, They are offering discount on insurance and then adding this Caska, the cost landing at 15.5-15.6lacs(OTR Hyd)

Enquired with Caska dealer , they quote the unit costs 55k and same is with showroom.

Infact one can get this 55k off as bargain if one wants to settle for the std Civic head unit and land up the deal at 14.9-15lacs(OTR Hyd).
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:57   #26
BHPian

Is it true that the New Civic has resolved the Bottoming out issue?
If yes I would prefer the Civic to Laura I am planning. At least there are no horror stories with Honda.
Old 24th September 2011, 23:35   #27
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala.V
If yes I would prefer the Civic to Laura I am planning. At least there are no horror stories with Honda.
Yes , I understand this issue has been addressed to an extent in Civic since 2010.
Old 25th September 2011, 10:32   #28
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala.V
Let me know if your talking to any showrooms, I would as well like to explore any good offers.

Any color presence you are having?
Old 27th September 2011, 10:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Chevrolet Cruze

-Turbo lag in manual used to be bad, owners say it has improved.
-Plastics quality not upto the mark.
-A/T gearbox though convenient is not as much fun to drive as the manual.
I guess u forgot to add the cramped rear seat (relatively) issue in the Cruze.

I put off my idea of plonking cash for the Chevy mainly because it wasnt much of an upgrade for the family over my OHC (atleast not worth putting down 14 odd lakhs).
Would rather save up for a few more years and go for the Accord/Superb.

P.S - Dont intend to offend any Cruze owners or fans. Just expressing a personal opinion.

Last edited by narula123 : 27th September 2011 at 10:30.
Old 28th September 2011, 18:30   #30
BHPian

Dont know if this is the right thread to ask this.

Did the laura (old one) ever come in a higher state of tune (than the 110 bhp)? My friend claim to have hit 200kmph (Had enough straight road with good visibility) in it. I highly doubt the 110bhp mill is capable of getting the laura (manual) to 200 mark (my friend claims it had more juice left).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks