Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 22:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Game Changers - Landmark events in the Indian Automotive Scene

For me its the Swift from the last decade. A massive success ever since it was launched and one of those cars whose craze has never faded ever.
If Jazz had been launched with the current price tag it would have been a game changer too.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:58   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I still remember the Kinetic Honda launch- must have been around 10 at the time.

Kinetic Honda
When it gets to you
It changes you
You'll never be the same again
On a
Kinetic Honda

Hero Honda and their Fill it.Shut it. Forget it was another memorable gamechanger. As was the Yamaha RX100- man, people still treasure their original RXes.

The first lot of Maruti 800s (the flat looking one) were definitely the original gamechangers. A cousin of mine gave up his allotment for a next-gen M800 and opted for one of those. It was reputed to be failsafe thanks to all-Japanese parts- no idea how true that was!

The Premier 118NE was also phenomenally gamechanging when it was launched. For the first time people associated cars with something more than just practicality/getting from A to B.

For that matter, the Premier Padmini with floor gears must have been a gamechanger!

Interesting thread.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 23:09   #33
BHPian

2 from the tata stable:
Indica and safari that redefined the diesel hatch and SUV segment and also set new benchmarks in terms of the cabin space available.

And other one will be swift. What a golden hen it has been for maruti. An absolute bestseller
Old 14th October 2011, 23:12   #34
Team-BHP Support

The biggest game changer, was obviously the Maruti 800, back in the '80s. And the only real game changer after that was the Swift. These two cars revolutionized the Indian automotive scene. Both cars came into the market when things looked bleak and ordinary.

Let's not forget that back then, there were very few sedans, and the Daewoo Cielo And the Maruti Esteem/1000 were breakthrough cars too. The first real sedans to hit the market. The Cielo died after a while, but the Esteem chugged on, and only recently was it discontinued.

In recent times, I'd say that the Hyundai i20 was a breakthrough car, for the features it offered.

In the future, the Honda Brio would be a huge breakthrough car IMO, and i believe that the Eon will do well too, and be the breakthrough car for the low-end hatch segment.

My guess is that the next real revolutionary car will not be from Maruti. It will be from VW. And it will be the Up.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 23:17   #35
BHPian

The car which was supposed to be biggest game changer -Nano

look at its fate . God writes his own script
Old 15th October 2011, 00:57   #36

I feel in the bikes, we missed the bullet, it still rules the roost. Rest of the bikes although some were worth the hype like the indo japs (yamaha, suzuki ). Present generation has evolved from the then yamdoot (RD350) to the present power punching bikes from yamaha, suzuki & hanara bajaj.
Cars have evolved from 1st gen maruti 800 to the new india specific designs like the eon, bringing lot of choice to the aam aadmi. Feel sad although that fiat fans are unable to have their punters and the lineas singing the same song although. Our very own home grown tatas are still grappling to have the market pie due to their boring standard designs (except safari which still owns its own fan base).
Old 15th October 2011, 05:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
I would add Dzire to the list. Mere addition of a boot without any other change and the car has dominated it's segment notwithstanding it's looks.
Tempo traveller and Volvo buses in revolutionizing the commercial segment.
Yes, the Dzire set the sales chart on fire, however did it really set benchmarks in the segment. The segment was created by the Maruti 1000/Esteem, however there is yet to be a car in the segment which might prove to be a Landmark. Is the Caaaar going to do it...not sure considering that the buyer in this segment would also give utmost importance to A**

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The biggest game changer, was obviously the Maruti 800, back in the '80s. And the only real game changer after that was the Swift. These two cars revolutionized the Indian automotive scene. Both cars came into the market when things looked bleak and ordinary.

Let's not forget that back then, there were very few sedans, and the Daewoo Cielo And the Maruti Esteem/1000 were breakthrough cars too. The first real sedans to hit the market. The Cielo died after a while, but the Esteem chugged on, and only recently was it discontinued.

In recent times, I'd say that the Hyundai i20 was a breakthrough car, for the features it offered.
+1 to that

The swift created a segment for itself and soon others had to follow.

i20, truly the first fully loaded "Premium" hatch that came to the Indian market and changed the dynamics of the segment (or rather created it), although now Honda is "Jazzin" it up and is sure to shake the segment

Last edited by amit_2025 : 15th October 2011 at 05:24.
amit_2025 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 08:42   #38
BHPian

On the CV front, my vote would go to Tata ace and Magic. These have revolutionized movement of goods / people in the rural areas.
Another people mover would be the bolero.
Old 15th October 2011, 09:24   #39
Team-BHP Support

I am waiting for the next game changer!
I assume this to be someone from the the compact-SUV (X-over) segment.

A huge untapped segment waiting to explode!
Old 15th October 2011, 10:16   #40
BHPian

Swift is a best seller being a maruti but so is alto.

IMHO a gamechanger is a car which offers unprecedented value or creates a totally new segment/group of car buyers. Fortuner is a gamechanger in the indian context eventhough it is overpriced.

Swift never created a new segment. The Palio did. When the palio came out it was an astounding success with waiting and all. It's a different matter that the parent company was not able to deliver the goods in terms of after service support and the car was not able to maintain the momentum.

In recent times, Figo is a gamechanger in terms of value and what you expect for your money from a car.

XUV seems to be another VFM product which will again be a game changer.

Indica is another gamechanger which delivered Mr Tata's promise of a small VFM car with the space of an ambassador and which will be frugal to run. Surprised to see indica absent from the list of game changers

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 15th October 2011 at 10:36.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:10   #41
BHPian

Vishnu - The list is a personal choice purely on first recall and individual opinion.

Thus most of the members have added what according to them were the Game changers.

I am certain a lot of us including myself would agree with your opinion about the Indica being a Landmark.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:22   #42
Team-BHP Support

What about the old workhorse, the Maruti Gypsy? The Indian Army pressed it into service for a reason. It's a great little car that revolutionized off-road driving in our country. It still is quite the mountain goat, and still the choice for several enthusiasts today.

I think it was quite a game changer and a breakthrough car for the Indian market.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am waiting for the next game changer!
I assume this to be someone from the the compact-SUV (X-over) segment.

A huge untapped segment waiting to explode!
Ohh yes most definitely. And if you look at some of the future launches of the major players, everyone seems to have planned for a compact SUV launch.

Makes such a huge sense in our country. Good ground clearance, seating position, just the right amount of extra space and headroom, and no parking or manoeuvrability hassles of big SUV's.

And that's why so many respected BHPians swear by the Ford fusion as being ahead of its times, even though it didn't click at the time. Perhaps the Maruti Ertiga will be the 'real' game changer in this segment.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Indica is another gamechanger which delivered Mr Tata's promise of a small VFM car with the space of an ambassador and which will be frugal to run. Surprised to see indica absent from the list of game changers
In my opinion, Indica is the genuine game changer. It created diesel hatchback segment. All the hot sellers since then, from Zen D to Swift, Figo etc took up the task and followed the Indica to succeed. Ignoring Indica's claim as a game changer is to shut one's eye towards the market history.

Afterall, we are talking about game changers, not about which car do we like.
Old 15th October 2011, 16:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
In my opinion, Indica is the genuine game changer. It created diesel hatchback segment. All the hot sellers since then, from Zen D to Swift, Figo etc took up the task and followed the Indica to succeed. Ignoring Indica's claim as a game changer is to shut one's eye towards the market history.

Afterall, we are talking about game changers, not about which car do we like.
indica was definately a gamechanger. It offered us a vehicle with low mantainance cost, great space and above all created an altogether new segment: diesel hatchback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks