Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 11:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Registration policies : Can car makers legally have any say at all?

Few companies like Maruti, Hyundai, Honda and maybe Toyota have this rule of restricted registration. In order to discourage dealers from selling cars in other territories where the company's dealers are already present. And this rule is in place for those companies that have a waiting period for their cars.

Also at times the older dealers have more car allocation compared to newer ones. So that they dont take advantage of this situation and go around asking for premium throughout the region few companies discourage the dealers from selling their cars to people from other cities.

I got my TATA and got it from Pune and registered it in another city where a dealer was already present. But we had to buy our City only from nagpur and were refused by pune dealer, that is because my city is served by nagpur dealer. Similarly whenever I give my Akola address at say a maruti or hyundai dealership they ask me to get the car from there only.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Makes a lot of sense as a policy , keeping dealers happy is top priority for any auto company and dealers cannibalization each other is not going to server that purpose even though at the end of it the company still gets sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Few companies like Maruti, Hyundai, Honda and maybe Toyota have this rule of restricted registration. In order to discourage dealers from selling cars in other territories where the company's dealers are already present. And this rule is in place for those companies that have a waiting period for their cars.

Old 10th April 2013, 16:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako View Post
Concorde Motors in Mumbai were initially fine,with me doing my own registration,but now are saying they can't release the vehicle without it being registered by them!! When i asked them for details, they say its the "rule followed in Mumbai"!

Quick question, Is this true? can't i get the reg. done by myself? I am saving quite a bit as the dealer is charging money for god knows what by calling it "Registration Misc. Expenses".
So what happened finally?? Did you register the car yourself? I am in the process of buying a Figo. Have already booked it and checked with my agent in Thane RTO. He says Rego charges at dealer at very high. And he can do it for less.
Old 11th April 2013, 11:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikrantD View Post
So what happened finally?? Did you register the car yourself? I am in the process of buying a Figo. Have already booked it and checked with my agent in Thane RTO. He says Rego charges at dealer at very high. And he can do it for less.
Get the registration done on your own you will save a lot. This is what I usually do too as dealers hike up even the RTO regn tax amount to buffer their margin in, you only realize this when you get the tax receipt from the RTO as much less than you paid the dealer.

Legally the dealership cannot force you to get the registration done from them, but most do not allow it claiming its their "company policy".You need to be firm on this from the start. Best way to go about it is to negotiate purely on ex-showroom price and tell them insurance and registration will be done on your own.

Last edited by Sahil : 11th April 2013 at 11:54.
Old 11th April 2013, 15:47   #20
BANNED

Today I think as per the law the vehicle should not leave the showroom without a permanent registration. Also, the dealer has to ensure that the HSRPs are in place.
Old 13th April 2013, 03:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Today I think as per the law the vehicle should not leave the showroom without a permanent registration. Also, the dealer has to ensure that the HSRPs are in place.
Nope. The law is that vehicle should not leave with out temp registration. Buyer can get it registered on their own. What if you don't have showroom in your town and you have to buy it dr other town that is in other district? All luxury car manufacturers fall into this category. When we bought our Merc, we bought it from dealer in Ahmedabad and got it registered in Anand after a week or so. If fact, none of our cars have been registered by showroom people. These are all dealer practice to charge unaware customer more in name of registration charges.
Old 13th April 2013, 10:02   #22
BHPian

I have heard that the manufacturer can restrict the registration of their products as a taxi. Initially Tata had restricted registration of Vista and Manza as taxi's and still Nano is restricted for being registered as a taxi. Anyone having concrete knowledge on this aspect of companies right to restrict their vehicles being registered as taxis may please through some light on the subject. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks