Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 16:37   #1
Team-BHP Support

Registration policies : Can car makers legally have any say at all?

We are currently evaluating booking a Liva D.
In Toyota, the dealer has no say in booking at all. Booking waiting list is managed centrally, so that people cannot curry favors.
So far so good.
However, there is another restriction. According to dealers, they cannot take a temp registration allowed beyond NCR boundaries, as toyota forbids registration of cars in any other territories.
My question is simple, what if I buy the car anways from Delhi, and get myself a temporary number(which I have to since I cannot register in Noida). Dealer will also allow that.
Then what is stopping me from going to my home town and registering the car there?
Is there some restriction the manufacturer can put in the sale and other documents.

Once I get a temp registeration valid for a month, whats to stop me from going to any state, showing address proof and registering the car there?
There is no bank involved since we are not taking any loan too.

Can toyota stop us?

Those who are wondering, why not book from PB itself, well due to centralized region quotas in Toyota. NCR and Mumbai have just 1.5 months waiting, while tier 2 cities have 4 months waiting!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th October 2011 at 16:38.
Old 16th October 2011, 16:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Registeration policies : Can car makers legally have any say at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In Toyota, the dealer has no say in booking at all. Booking waiting list is managed centrally, so that people cannot curry favors.
Not true, i have personally seen cars delivered out of turn, without company intervention. Most dealers will give you cars out of turn if you pay them premium(indirectly by buying useless and expensive accesories).

Quote:
However, there is another restriction. According to dealers, they cannot take a temp registration allowed beyond NCR boundaries, as toyota forbids registration of cars in any other territories.
Not true again, i can point out Fortuners bought from other states registered elsewhere.

Quote:
My question is simple, what if I buy the car anways from Delhi, and get myself a temporary number(which I have to since I cannot register in Noida). Dealer will also allow that.
Then what is stopping me from going to my home town and registering the car there?

Once I get a temp registeration valid for a month, whats to stop me from going to any state, showing address proof and registering the car there?
You need to have the same address on invoice as the place you want to register the car.
Old 16th October 2011, 16:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Not true, i have personally seen cars delivered out of turn, without company intervention. Most dealers will give you cars out of turn if you pay them premium(indirectly by buying useless and expensive accesories).
Anshuman, Toyota is following this booking method for the Liva and Etios i..e directly from Toyota and not dealer.

Dealers have a way to get round it for vip customers ready to pay the moolah.

Fortuner and altis don't have this booking from manufactuere thing. It's the normal way.
Old 16th October 2011, 17:02   #4
BHPian

Last year,when my cousin(who lives in rudrapur) purchased the i20,he took the car to delhi,jaipur,haridwar and ddun with temp. registration without any problem,which he kept for 3 months after that he registered the car with permanent registration.
acsandeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 21:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You need to have the same address on invoice as the place you want to register the car.
Ok, thats the caveat. Toyota will not allow me to purchase the car with a PB address in NCR.
This means I have to figure out other hoops to jump through to get a car registered on rental address. Trust me, its not easy!!
Old 16th October 2011, 22:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, thats the caveat. Toyota will not allow me to purchase the car with a PB address in NCR.
This means I have to figure out other hoops to jump through to get a car registered on rental address. Trust me, its not easy!!
Registering a car on rental address is legal and within rules here in Haryana. It is easy if you have a lease agreement.
Old 16th October 2011, 22:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Registration policies : Can car makers legally have any say at all?

My swift came with a Delhi temp number, and was registered within 20 days in gurgaon.
either have a sarkari bill in your name (bijli?) or just get yourself a sarkari bank account opened in Noida with that address. No further nonsense required. of course, rent agreement toh hoga hi.

Do u have any gas connection at your name on that address? That should work too IMO (it worked for our voter I-cards)
Old 17th October 2011, 12:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
We are currently evaluating booking a Liva D.
So far so good.
Is there some restriction the manufacturer can put in the sale and other documents.

Can toyota stop us?

Those who are wondering, why not book from PB itself, well due to centralized region quotas in Toyota. NCR and Mumbai have just 1.5 months waiting, while tier 2 cities have 4 months waiting!
Not good but I know for sure that Maruti does this too. I had booked my car with Berkeley, Panchkula and they won't let me put my Amritsar address on the invoice nor could the car be registered in Amritsar with my Panchkula address on invoice.

Registration cost in both Punjab (Amritsar) and Panchkula (Haryana) is higher than Chandigarh but then I didn't have Chandigarh address proof.

Anyway, I found a workaround - got LIC policy made in back date (current financial year) with Chandigarh address on it, with just Rs 3002 as yearly premium with 3 years lock-in and I get the amount back with almost 11% ROI post 3 years. If the policy is up to 6 months old, it can be considered for driver's license or car registration in Chandigarh - must be true for other states as well.

However, my bro in law had recently bought a Tata Vista from Banarsi Das Automobiles in Panchkula and they without hesitation put his Jallandhar address in invoice and he has gotten the car registered in Jallandhar without any problems.

Hope this helps.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi as well basis my experience ,when i picked up the Wagon R 5 years back , the rental agreement served as proof and the car was registered at that address.

Quote:
Registering a car on rental address is legal and within rules here in Haryana. It is easy if you have a lease agreement.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:24   #10
BHPian

Got the ANHC from dealer in Panchkula (alloted HR 99 temp number), and then got it registered in Punjab without any hassles whatsoever.

Perhaps what Anshuman said is true, because we did give our hometown address of Punjab at the time of booking the car. Although, Honda has forbidden dealerships from booking cars outside the alloted territories, so the Panchkula ones were a bit disinclined to book the car (btw, the Chd dealership refused point blank asking us to get the car from Patiala). Got around the issue by just submitting a written statement saying that the car will be driven in Panchkula so we want to buy it from here.

Maybe you can try the same trick and see if it works
Old 17th October 2011, 13:26   #11
BHPian

Concorde Motors in Mumbai were initially fine,with me doing my own registration,but now are saying they can't release the vehicle without it being registered by them!! When i asked them for details, they say its the "rule followed in Mumbai"!

Quick question, Is this true? can't i get the reg. done by myself? I am saving quite a bit as the dealer is charging money for god knows what by calling it "Registration Misc. Expenses".
Old 17th October 2011, 13:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako View Post
Quick question, Is this true? can't i get the reg. done by myself? I am saving quite a bit as the dealer is charging money for god knows what by calling it "Registration Misc. Expenses".
I know exactly what you are talking about. I saved around 7-8K by registering the car myself, I'm sure it must be much more in Mumbai. What's the registeration amount and what are they actually charging?

You can check with someone at the local RTO for this, and confront your dealer based on the info.
Old 17th October 2011, 21:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

As stated previously, you need to get the Invoice in the same address as the car is intended to be registered. Apart from what Manufacturer restriction, a lot of dealers refuse to do it because then they ill have to charge you CST (goods being sold from one state to another) and lots of dealers don't have CST registration.

I have my cars registered on rental address and all you need is phone bill or lease agreement. Even bank statement or a verification from bank also works.

Cheers
Old 18th October 2011, 09:54   #14
BANNED

i don't know what circus toyota is doing here but I too bought a car from dealer in bikaner , invoiced it to my permanent address in Himachal ,got the temp registration no from bikaner dealer, drove all the way from rajasthan to himachal crossing 3 states using same temp no and drove it in HP for 20-25 days before registration . Now if this is not as per rules why i was allowed in first place.

One more thing tanveer if u are buying from delhi and registering in punjab , you might have to pay additional 5 % or so ( while registering ) if you have bought car from outside state . I faced this in HP and i am sure other states also will be having same rules .
Old 18th October 2011, 10:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

One more thing tanveer if u are buying from delhi and registering in punjab , you might have to pay additional 5 % or so ( while registering ) if you have bought car from outside state . I faced this in HP and i am sure other states also will be having same rules .
This is because of the VAT/Sales Tax loss the state faces if a vehicle is brought from outside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks