Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2015, 22:55   #76
BHPian

Re: The great Indian Warranty scam - How "grey areas" mean you get robbed

Posting my experience with my Fiesta.
About one year into ownership, I changed the wiper blades from Ford dealership. The normal rubber on metal ones. Weeks later while driving in rain, the rubber blade slips and the metal holder comes in contact with the glass scratching this.
Wrote a polite email to Ford customer care. Couple of calls with the Kairali Ford folks, they replaced the front windshield for free.

Then I had issues with the Driver seat. The metal frame of the seat started protruding from the frame. This too was fixed in warranty. (I checked with one of the other dealers about this, they said it will not be under warranty)
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 14:11   #77

I have a 2 year old Wagon R, got it serviced (annual) at Kalyani motors on Bannerghatta road yesterday. There was lot of noise from the tires since few months around 60 kmph and 90 kmph, surprisingly no noise above and below these speeds.

Mentioned this to the SA, he investigated and informed me over the phone that left rear wheel bearing has worn out, I have driven the car around 11k kms in the past 2 years. Car has extended warranty, last month the left rear door had scraped a pillar in a tight parking space and there was a big dent, I claimed insurance and got this repaired as the cost was close to 11k. The person told that he spoke with Maruti and this wouldn't get covered under warranty as the bearing may have got damaged because of this scraping and I was charged Rs. 900 for replacing this. I even told him that the noise was present even before the incident. I wasn't convinced with this at all and tried to get this covered under warranty but he didn't budge.
I somehow feel cheated, the only positive was they gave me a discount of Rs. 650 on the overall bill when I asked for it. That somehow made me feel a little better.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:30   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakra View Post
.... There was lot of noise from the tires since few months around 60 kmph and 90 kmph, surprisingly no noise above and below these speeds.

Mentioned this to the SA, he investigated and informed me over the phone that left rear wheel bearing has worn out, I have driven the car around 11k kms in the past 2 years. ...
Solid crap & what a royal ride you have been taken for!

The wheel bearing noise will keep increasing with speed & wouldn't cut after a specific speed. Plus, how would a dent affect something as a bearing? I doubt this is anything exposed to
cause such a damage. I think you should shoot a mail to Maruti with the details. Have you got a feedback call from service centre? That's a good platform to raise your concern before you pull Maruti into this.

Edit : 2 years/11K kms is too less for a wheel bearing issue to happen, unless you are a reckless driver thru real bad roads. Please confirm this too.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th June 2015 at 15:32.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:45   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Solid crap & what a royal ride you have been taken for!

Edit : 2 years/11K kms is too less for a wheel bearing issue to happen, unless you are a reckless driver thru real bad roads. Please confirm this too.

Thanks, @swiftnfurious for sharing your comments. I agree, I will share this feedback when I get a call and will also send an e-mail to Maruti. My drives are mostly during weekends, 65% road trips and 35% city drives (Bangalore and Pune), as I use my bike for office commutes.
The first year my driving speeds used to be quite low as I had just learnt to drive and even after that I drive quite cautiously without abusing the car and feel responsible form safety of the occupants and others on the road while driving, more so with the Team BHP sticker at the back hence wear out of the bearing because of my driving style is ruled out.
schakra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 18:18   #80
BHPian

Honda City clutch-cylinder failed (14000km). Dealer says not covered under extended warranty!

My Honda city 2012 ivtec top model with sunroof failed today morning.

I had parked the car at my home on July 26 and it was driving as it should till that day. Car was not used on July 27. Today July 28th when I started the car I was unable to change the gears and clutch wasn't engaging.

I called Honda road side assistance and they towed my car to workshop. Now the workshop service advisor calls me and tells me that slip cylinder and master cylinder has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Once these parts are replaced will they be able to check the clutch.

My car is in 2+2 year extended warranty but workshop tells me these parts are not covered extended warranty and also not covered in insurance. Is this true ?

My car was last serviced on June 20 at 13812 km and today's ODO reads 14117 km.

Please help me understand what might have caused this in a stationery car which has run only 14000 kms in 3 years. Is this car trustworthy anymore or should I sell it off ?

I need proper investigation as to what might have caused this before I get it fixed. Please help how do I go about it.

Last edited by compenn : 28th July 2015 at 18:20.
Old 28th July 2015, 18:56   #81
BHPian

re: Honda City clutch-cylinder failed (14000km). Dealer says not covered under extended warranty!

From what I understand in your post, the issue is related to the clutch activation/deactivation and not with clutch wear and tear.

Wear and tear, such as the clutch plate getting worn out is not covered under warranty. However, this sort of breakdown is related to a mechanical or manufacturing defect which must most certainly be covered by warranty. You should fight your case and threaten legal action if they try to charge you for it. This is a pure warranty claim.

Note: A friend suffered a similar failure in his 3 yr old Duster diesel which was replaced as a part of his 4-year warranty plan. The car is driving absolutely normally since.
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 19:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City clutch-cylinder failed (14000km). Dealer says not covered under extended warranty!

Sorry to hear about that. However i would advise you to maintain the discussion with your workshop. Take your service advisor into confidence and get the real story as to why this happened. Threatening legal action on the first day itself is not going to help at all. Try to keep a record of all conversations / emails etc. Ensure that the job card is prepared properly and checked. Meanwhile try surfing through the forums to see if you find any other such reported issue. Might help in the diagnosis.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 28th July 2015, 19:22   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO typical symptom of oil cylinder "o" ring failure. This is causing clutch hydraulic to fail. Was the pedal totally free?

If yes then I would not think there is anything wrong with clutch power se.

Honda cannot deny coverage under warranty for clutch hydraulic cylinder. They can deny rubber part maybe but then they cannot replace total cylinder just because the ring is worn. If they repair with new o ring cost would not be much.

Normal garage would open the cylinder and replace this small rubber part.

Last edited by sudev : 28th July 2015 at 19:23.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 19:43   #84
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda City clutch-cylinder failed (14000km). Dealer says not covered under extended warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
My car was last serviced on June 20 at 13812 km and today's ODO reads 14117 km.
1) Which dealership / service center is this?

2) I'm always suspicious of "cannot claim warranty" problems that arise very soon after a service. (eg. a 'friend' of the service station could have just had his 'out of warranty' City's clutch cylinder replaced, if you know what i mean). I'm jumping to conclusions here - but it is a possibility.

3) Get a second opinion. This will give you an accurate view on what exactly the problem is, and if it is as major as what the service center mentioned.

4) Not sure if the clutch cylinder is covered in warranty. Do some more research here. Call other honda service centers and ask.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 20:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

Honda City clutch-cylinder failed (14000km). Dealer says not covered under ex...

Clutch cylinder is not a wear and tear part. It probably is a defective part. I am sure Honda cannot deny you the warranty.

I had this failure on my Punto at 50k kms. Fiat replaced this on warranty.

Which dealer is this?

Has the vehicle been serviced on time, ie 13,812 kms looks a very odd mileage for a service. Is he denying you the warranty because it was not serviced on time?
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 21:46   #86
BHPian

Re: Honda City clutch-cylinder failed (14000km). Dealer says not covered under extended warranty!

My Hyundai i20 with 1+2 year warranty had a very tiny tiny scratching clutch pedal when it was in last month of its extended warranty and ASC happily replaced the clutch MC in warranty. It was an hours job and if I remember correctly the mentioned cost of MC on the box was was 3-4K. I am sure that MC is covered in warranty as its not a consumable.
Old 28th July 2015, 22:30   #87
BHPian

Hey buddy,

Your dealer is playing you. Why don't you drop in a mail and a phone call too at Honda before you go visit any of their dealers for this specific concern. That way you can be sure that strict standards of services are adhered to and followed.
Old 28th July 2015, 23:14   #88
BHPian

Service center is the authorized service center in Okhla, South Delhi. My car's 25k and 30k service have all been done on or before 13812 km due to time intervals mandated between Honda city services
Old 29th July 2015, 07:21   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Just taking this further......please describe in detail what you felt and did. Was the pedal totally free? Master cylinder leak would result in this.

Was there any oil drops below the car? Was the fluid level low? Master or slave cylinder leakage will result in leakage.

If this was not the case were you able to slot into first gear with engine running? If yes then clutch hydraulics are not the problem. If no then hydraulic activation is the problem.

If you were able to slot into first great with engine running but car would not move then it is likely that friction plate is worn out.

Need inputs to help.

On lighter not - definitely it is not the sunroof that is causing trouble.

Last edited by sudev : 29th July 2015 at 07:22.
Old 29th July 2015, 07:35   #90
BHPian

Yes clutch was absolutely free, could not engage any gear.

I read on internet that some fluid level has to be checked during service. Does that mean Honda did not check/service the car properly on June 20, or they are not at fault and this issue can crop up suddenly anytime/anywhere and one should be mentally prepared to be stranded on road in a Honda car ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks