Other reason (please specify in your post) 39 2.93%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 310 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1329. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2011, 16:54   #31
BHPian

Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Why NOT an A/T for me:

Push-start is not feasible for an A/T. It can be done without a hitch in M/Ts.

More mechanicals mean more things can go wrong. Defective A/T boxes are always replaced instead of repaired, making repairs expensive & reliability sketchy.

Mass market A/Ts have no engine braking. Therefore, maintenance on brakes goes up.

DSGs have had only limited success in the Indian Market & lack of knowledge results in most garages not touching an automatic.
Old 19th November 2011, 17:18   #32
BHPian

Voted for third option. Affordable diesel AT would be any day buy for me. Unfortunately none exists in the market !

venks
Old 19th November 2011, 17:26   #33
BHPian

Voted for Other. Reason:
The automatics are too boring and a tad unpredictable . My observation is that the auto's were designed for civilized driving only [Read: lane driving, sticking to the speed limit, maybe sipping a coffee] and the boring day to day commute. If I want to have fun, I cant let a computer interfere with the proceedings, even if it comes with paddle shifters.
I drive a City A/T quite a bit and in the process of getting back to a manual transmission real soon.
I would say [maybe because of relatively less traffic up here] that only on 5% of my commutes would I miss the autobox.
Old 19th November 2011, 17:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

It's not that I can't afford automatic nut it's just that I prefer manual transmission any day over automatic transmission.

And off course automatics are expensive to maintain and run & less reliable than manual cars.

Voted for "I LOVE MANUAL TRANSMISSION"

Last edited by bluevolt : 19th November 2011 at 17:41.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:03   #35
BHPian

OK. I didn't buy one(Don't earn enough yet ), but made my (63 year old) dad get the Civic AT. He had been driving Manuals since 1988. He had made me his designated 'whenever free' Driver.

Since he got the Civic, he just doesn't let me drive . But given the kind of calf-aches our other car (the Logan Diesel) gave me in bumper to bumper traffic, I am not complaining.
Not a day has passed that he hasn't praised the AT for its drive (we only got the car last month).

Running costs didn't matter much since only my Dad drives the Civic and usage is limited to 500-600km per month. AND at 10.5 kmpl in Pune traffic(100% AC), I don't think its doing too badly compared to the smaller ATs. Also, If he wants to drive, he might as well do it with minimal effort.

Also, I feel, since you have less things to worry about while driving, you can pay more attention on the road. So, voted for 'Not Applicable' - Just bought one.

As for the argument of 'Power Windows' Vs AT,

How many times do we roll down the windows in a typical home-office drive?
And how many times do we press the clutch / change gear?
(^^^This is how I convinced my father. True story.)

I would rather have AT and skip the Power Windows if I had a choice.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

I responded with "I don't think its worth the extra cost" and "I love manuals", but primarily its a cost thing as i would not want to pay extra just for a different gear box. I kind of get away from driving in such chaotic traffic by timing my start, or avoiding it as much as possible by either using public transport or car pooling, in the cases which are rare when i have to drive through heavy traffic i live with it.

Just to put some numbers to the above statements, my daily office commute is on office bus these days, the only time i drive is when i go to drop my daughter to school every day in the morning and two to three times for buying few things on weekdays. On weekends the traffic is much less hence not really a big problem.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 19th November 2011 at 18:17.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:28   #37
BHPian

I voted for #3. i.e. " No Automatic available in my segment" ... though the actual reason would have been more aptly put as "No Automatic was available for my desired car".

It was sometime in mid 2009 when I wanted to buy a new ANHC-VXi (the Auto version), but found that this was discontinued temporarily - no stock were available except some test run cars - and new ones won't be available for another 6 months. I had already sold off my old car, and had no option but to settle for EXi (manual version).

Hopefully I will be able to find an AUTO version in my next replacement choice.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

For me automatic was unaffordable in the sense that I would rather pay extra for the car than for the transmission. The difference (including taxes) is over 1L and not much choice is available anyway.

Another major factor was concern on what happens if something goes wrong with the transmission.

To top it, I would rather have the option to use manual when I desire - at least in my budget that option wasn't available.

As far as performance goes, while I don't deny that even a cheap AT can change gears faster than I do, I'm not sure even the most expensive ones would always chose the next gear exactly as I would - so basically that advantage may not be as good as it sounds on paper (and given the complains about performance, it probably isn't).
Old 19th November 2011, 18:43   #39
BHPian

Voted for "I love Manual transmissions!".

As convenient as automatics are, I'm so used to manual, I don't even notice when I shift gears or use the clutch. It's reflexive, so the drawbacks of a manual in heavy traffic don't really apply to me.

When you want to have a bit of fun, most automatics just don't cut it.
With the exception of the DSG's tiptronic, nothing comes close to a manual, not to mention the reliability issues with DSG's just eliminate them as an option.

I personally, would be ecstatic if BMW offered 6 speed manuals as an option in the 3 series, not to mention, a 320D CE Manual could lower the entry price of a BMW even further.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

The Holy Trinity of Driver Involvement in my books is the steering, feed back through three pedal, and the gearbox. These are the tools which link man to machine, and gives that feeling of the machine being part of the driver.

A slick gearbox, coupled with a feelsome steering on a good engine can deliver untold pleasures. With an automatic, leaving aside the massive convenience, there is very limited driver involvement. Just does not cut it for me.

I love manual trannies, and till such time as my knee does not complain, manuals it will be for me. With transmission systems becoming more and more sophisticated by the day, things are only going to get better for manual trannyheads
Old 19th November 2011, 19:17   #41
BHPian

The A/T option is not available for the two cars that I drive - Skoda Yeti and Honda Jazz.

Had the A/T version been available both cars would have been A/T. In fact Skoda appears to have made an error of judgment by not launching DSG variant of Yeti, as is amply evident in various ownership reports.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

1) FE Concern. Cant get rid of it. With rising fuel costs ( specially petrol ), it will pinch more than what it does in case of manuals.

2) I love Manuals! Yes, that is the ground reality, I love to drive on highways. Day before yesterday I drove to my native place where we have build a new house ( sort of small vacation small house ) for Vastu. Was busy, but still on my way back, I enjoyed the entire stretch of road. More than 400 kms trip, project pressure, work during vastu was nothing to hold me back from having more fun during driving.
The car, BTW, was Waggie K10 CNG.

3) Maintenance concerns. It is an unmarked territory and Skoda automatics ( Yes I know they are not conventional AT ) have just spoiled the AT image.

4) Very high premium. I dont think they are worth such a high premium. In case of a car available with both petrol and diesel motors, why would one buy a petrol AT instead of MT diesel ?

Moreover :
  • The cars in India typically are not having powerful motors. Example of US: Camry with that 2.5 can be had with automatic, wont be that difficult and car wont feel dying lethargic ( as if on hospital bed ). In India, the small engine capacities dull already whatever little performance they have. And this becomes a big issue when we have car fully loaded with AC cooling down the cabin FE drops too as the small motors work very hard.
  • Crossing the rain water logged Indian Roads. We know this happens quite often and during these times the clutch becomes very helpful.
  • Lack of new technology. Ford DCT is step in right direction. Very nice to have "maintenance-free till 2.4 lakh kms." transmission. If this technology is made available to all existing car spectrums, the AT would have a bigger market. And the paddle shift would help too.
Whatever be the case, but an AT car is very easy to drive in congested roads/traffic. How many be negatives of AT, but when it comes to B-to-B traffic, AT is best thing we can have.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:20   #43
BHPian

My concerns are mainly cost related.

In the market for a hatch right now. It's already pretty expensive to find one with good crash ratings and safety features (since they're typically present in top-end versions only). Add to that the heavy taxes in bangalore, and we're looking at OTR prices in range of 7L

Auto adding some 75K-1L on top of that is not worth it. Plus, mileage seems to drop quite a bit (read on some threads that i10 autos were getting <= 10 kmpl), which adds significantly to running cost.

So yes, while i would like to have this, specially for wifey, overall cost difference (initial purchase + fuel delta + maintenance) needs to be lesser.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:22   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i would agree with you on this. had an autobox been available with the Yeti I might have chosen to buy that instead of the Elegance MT that I just booked today. simply because the AT is a real pleasure in the day to day mucky traffic scenarios. But it is also true that the MT is much more involving to drive especially when on holiday in the hills and suchlike.
perhaps if and when we decide to get another second vehicle for ourselves we may look for an AT hatchback because my wife might actually feel like driving then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
The A/T option is not available for the two cars that I drive - Skoda Yeti and Honda Jazz.

Had the A/T version been available both cars would have been A/T. In fact Skoda appears to have made an error of judgment by not launching DSG variant of Yeti, as is amply evident in various ownership reports.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:35   #45
BHPian

My next car WILL be an automatic.

After having driven an automatic in the US as my first car I seriously wondered why India is obsessed with manuals. I really wanted to buy an automatic as my first car in India, but I went for a manual instead. Why? Because if I never learn how to drive a manual I'd never be able to drive anything else but my car in India!

My next car though, will be an automatic... I seriously detest using all my limbs for driving, as it is, it takes too much concentration to drive on our roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks