Maintenance concerns 159 11.96%
Other reason (please specify in your post) 39 2.93%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 310 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1329. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 15:13   #196
BHPian

Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Voted for AT Option unavailable on my choice of car.

That being said, I am a firm believer of the thought "Horses for courses". For somebody who drives 40km to 50km to and from office everyday (negotiating the mad traffic all around) the choice would have to be an AT. However, for a long distance drive my choice will HAVE to me a manual. The drive on the manual can be changed to suit your frame of mind and the AT can get boring.
Old 26th November 2011, 16:38   #197
BHPian

Ok so the modern ATs are indeed good especially in city traffic and I was a little surprised by the way some of them pull ahead when floored but...

1. Only a few minutes into the drive, I was yawning cause the driving wasn't just as involving as that of a manual and when in a preppy mode, I would want to be able to select the gear of my choice. Well some of the high end models mite give me the pedal shift option etc but those are WAYYYY beyond the common mans reach.

2. I was once walking and saw a guy trying to start his car, the batter was dead - I asked him, "can I help? since its a flat road, I can push the car" the guy replied with a sad face "Thanks buddy its and AT :("

3. Any given day I can squeeze more kilometer per litre of petrol/diesel from an MT as compared to a AT.
Old 26th November 2011, 17:00   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaser_cyclist View Post
1. Only a few minutes into the drive, I was yawning ......
Yawning? Seriously? Is there a road in India where you can drive and yawn? I mean with an idiot cutting across your path every 10 second. Sorry, I don't think so. Too many exciting things happen on our road every 100 metres.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 17:54   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Dual Clutch Automatics are as efficient as their manual counterparts, with faster shift times, convenience of AT and ability to shift gears manually when required. When the DSG promised this much, i could not say no. Having paid ~1 lakh rupees extra for the DSG AT, 40 extra HP and 70nm, i do not regret the decision at all, i will not mind the extra maintenance costs.

Most people i meet have a mind block against the Automatics. Once they spend some time with a good Automatic, they discover what all they have been missing. Believe me the conversion ratio is very very high. It's like saying i hate Bugatti Veyron!! How can this be possible? I have never spent time with one.

See what kind of FE a carefully driven Automatic DSG can return without cutting down much on cruising speed and comfort: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post2589296 It is easier than achieving this in a manual because all you have to do is keep the right pedal light and steady.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th November 2011 at 17:56.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 11:21   #200
Senior - BHPian

After using my BIL's Beemer for a month, I decided to go for an AT in my next change.. Few things I feel about AT is
- Needs to be powerful engine like BM, else you will feel miss the fun (like in i10 AT)
- Very few guys have got a good AT gearbox
- Your choices will be very limited

I am considering Cruze Vs Jetta now..Would have gone for Jetta if it was the old look and climate control.. Bit worried about Cruze after reading some user reviews ...And No budget for a Beemer
Old 27th November 2011, 15:15   #201
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post

I am considering Cruze Vs Jetta now..Would have gone for Jetta if it was the old look and climate control.. Bit worried about Cruze after reading some user reviews ...And No budget for a Beemer
I think you should consider laura DSG with four year skoda shield warranty . According to autocar comparison Laura DSG is more fun to drive than Jetta DSG. I have voted forAT option is unavailable on my choice of car (including diesels). No vehicle comes with a fun to drive AT gearbox or DSG around 10 lakhs range. The closest Automatic is fiesta DCT, but it is only available for petrol model.

Last edited by anb : 27th November 2011 at 15:22.
Old 28th November 2011, 04:35   #202
BHPian

Voted for manual transmission as automatics take the fun out driving! The next car for my wife will be an automatic!
regards,
Ashphil
Old 28th November 2011, 10:50   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I think you should consider laura DSG with four year skoda shield warranty . According to autocar comparison Laura DSG is more fun to drive than Jetta DSG. I have voted forAT option is unavailable on my choice of car (including diesels). No vehicle comes with a fun to drive AT gearbox or DSG around 10 lakhs range. The closest Automatic is fiesta DCT, but it is only available for petrol model.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not a skoda fan, mainly due to the horror stories in bhp..but the 4 year warranty sounds interesting, does it comes at a cost and what all is covered?
Old 28th November 2011, 11:27   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Most people i meet have a mind block against the Automatics. Once they spend some time with a good Automatic, they discover what all they have been missing. Believe me the conversion ratio is very very high. It's like saying i hate Bugatti Veyron!! How can this be possible? I have never spent time with one.
This a million times over. Some of the views on here are so bigoted and blinkered it's amazing. I don't want to be leaning towards either a manual or an automatic when debating the pros and cons, it's important to be objective and informed while appreciating each for what it offers.

I suspect many that are dissing AT's around these parts haven't driven one for extended periods or even at all in some cases, which is disappointing because it throws objectivity out of the window. Yawning while driving an AT? Please, for the love of god, leave the hyperbole at home.

People regularly trot out the "lack of engagement" or "lack of Fuel Efficiency" argument, but DSG's and transmissions much like it do negate both those concerns. The only major negative for an AT such as this is the entry barrier its cost poses. Not everyone will be able to afford even the Fiesta AT with its version of a DSG, let alone a diesel AT which, let's face it, is the preferred engine/transmission combo for most people. Modern automatics (unlike my slushbox) are great, and I am looking to own one hopefully by next year, lack of a diesel option in the lower categories be damned.
iliketurtles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 12:07   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
This a million times over. Some of the views on here are so bigoted and blinkered it's amazing. I don't want to be leaning towards either a manual or an automatic when debating the pros and cons, it's important to be objective and informed while appreciating each for what it offers.

I suspect many that are dissing AT's around these parts haven't driven one for extended periods or even at all in some cases, which is disappointing because it throws objectivity out of the window. Yawning while driving an AT? Please, for the love of god, leave the hyperbole at home.

People regularly trot out the "lack of engagement" or "lack of Fuel Efficiency" argument, but DSG's and transmissions much like it do negate both those concerns. The only major negative for an AT such as this is the entry barrier its cost poses. Not everyone will be able to afford even the Fiesta AT with its version of a DSG, let alone a diesel AT which, let's face it, is the preferred engine/transmission combo for most people. Modern automatics (unlike my slushbox) are great, and I am looking to own one hopefully by next year, lack of a diesel option in the lower categories be damned.
Not everyone of the opinion that AT lacks "engagement" and "FTD" hasnt driven a AT. I drove a Charger V6 296PS AT in US for over 2 weeks and it was boring as hell despite all that power. On the autobahns, an 120PS A3 MT was insanely more fun than a 150PS X3 AT.

Lack of FE is an argument i agree doesnt hold water with DSG's delivering similiar if not better FE than MTs; but a MT will still deliver far more smiles per hour than an AT on a highway than even a DSG. Also, another big factor is added cost for a AT over MT and scares of high maintanence in case of failures.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:07   #206
Team-BHP Support

I got intrigues by this thread and went searching for decent AT options in the mid size segment. The prices gave me a huge shock.

Altis AT - Rs. 18.3L on road bangalore
Civic AT - Rs. 17.16L on road bangalore (without sunroof)
Laura base Ambiente AT - 19.06L on road
Laura Elegance - 20.78L on road

Below this is just the sad 4 speed AT of the Fluidic Verna CRDi ay 13.8L on road and the City/Vento/Rapid AT at ~11.5L on road.

There's a 7-8L gap in the midsize segment for AT cars!!!
Old 28th November 2011, 13:25   #207
BHPian

A very nice topic for the poll.

The reason why i would refrain myself from buying an automatic version would be:-

1) Fuel Economy :- Definitely for me this would be a major concern. I am not sure in coming days, whether technology gets so advanced that this concern can be eliminated or belittled.

2) I love driving manual:- I have driven automatic variants but frankly i never felt real fun of driving in them. . I agree that it may be a pain while driving in bumper to bumper traffic but thats where the skill of driving is honed.

I am not automatic transmission hater but i would always prefer manual over it, for the above reasons.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:33   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Not everyone of the opinion that AT lacks "engagement" and "FTD" hasnt driven a AT. I drove a Charger V6 296PS AT in US for over 2 weeks and it was boring as hell despite all that power. On the autobahns, an 120PS A3 MT was insanely more fun than a 150PS X3 AT.

Lack of FE is an argument i agree doesnt hold water with DSG's delivering similiar if not better FE than MTs; but a MT will still deliver far more smiles per hour than an AT on a highway than even a DSG. Also, another big factor is added cost for a AT over MT and scares of high maintanence in case of failures.
I know fully well that there are those (such as yourself) who would pick a manual any day of the week even after having driven an AT for any extended period of time (such as a week, which is plenty of time in anyone's books), and I respect that fully. My grouse was primarily against people that have not driven an AT and yet parrot these arguments as an extended form of group-think. The cost of maintaining/servicing an AT is doubtlessly a massive factor, as is the added cost. There's no skirting around that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I got intrigues by this thread and went searching for decent AT options in the mid size segment. The prices gave me a huge shock.

Altis AT - Rs. 18.3L on road bangalore
Civic AT - Rs. 17.16L on road bangalore (without sunroof)
Laura base Ambiente AT - 19.06L on road
Laura Elegance - 20.78L on road

Below this is just the sad 4 speed AT of the Fluidic Verna CRDi ay 13.8L on road and the City/Vento/Rapid AT at ~11.5L on road.

There's a 7-8L gap in the midsize segment for AT cars!!!
There's a funny catch 22 situation there. These prices are doubtlessly scary for most people, and so demand will be very iffy. Seeing that, manufacturers stay away from launching an AT on account of poor demand, but all of this can only be addressed by taking a leap of faith, such as Ford is making with the Fiesta. Credit where credit's due, launching a Petrol AT in India's current automotive environment is a brave decision. I hope it pays off for Ford, but everything boils down to pricing. Fingers crossed, it'll be well priced and the cheapest DSG on the market.

I was thinking a few days back. The Jazz X is about 7.1x Lakhs OTR sans any discounts. The i20 AT is about 9 Lakhs OTR. What's stopping Honda from launching an AT version of the Jazz even if it adds a lakh to the price tag? Anyone looking for cheap(er) AT options really does face a paucity of choices.

By the by, how come you didn't throw the Cruze AT into that mix? Just by happenstance or a conscious decision?
Old 28th November 2011, 13:34   #209
BHPian

I've gone with an emotional response - I love manual.

I'm sure that the AT option is awesome, and would make a lot of sense and the reason'\s to stay with manual are decreasing by the second, but:

a) I like pure-play mechanics, with minimal involvement of automation - It feels good to know the car, and I mean REALLY know the car. And for some reason, the ability to understand "when" and "why" to shift feels empowering.

b) The feel of a well-oiled machine translating your intent to action - I guess this is one of the reasons why I love the old-school MM540s, the Ambassador etc.

c) I do not want to "forget" or lose the "ability" to drive an MT

There's a saying which I love - "It's not the car, it's the driver". I drive a MT as I want to feel the drive. I don't really mind traffic either - I mean, I've never felt, "Damn this traffic!!! I wish I had a AT". I know people who feel that way, eg. my Dad REFUSES to drive a MT. I guess over time, my preference might change, but today - nope, not in the least.

I've noticed that an over-dependence on the latest tech robs you of capability. In Bangalore, whenever I'm in upwards sloping traffic, I always keep at least 2 feet of distance from the car in front - everyone tends to roll back!!! This is shocking to me, since in Oman (where I got my license from), any form of backward roll is an instant driving test fail. The instructor would be in the car ensuring that you engage the hand-brake (balancing the clutch + accelerator is not acceptable and would lead to an instant fail as well).

Most of today's car tech robs the driver of a holistic driving approach - and I plan to resist the change as long as possible.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:46   #210
Senior - BHPian

My only reason will be the price difference. In the mass category this is what applies mostly, even if all the models have an AT variant some day. When people cut corners, they will cut away the AT, same way they do with ABS, Airbags etc!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks