Team-BHP - GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/111906-gps-tracking-anti-theft-devices.html)

Given the alarming rise in the vehicle theft cases in our country and the proportionally decreasing seriousness shown by the police to recover the vehicles, I'm sure a lot of us are thinking of having our vehicles secured; apart from the simple Car locking systems and gear-locks.

One of the promising ways forward is GPS-tracking devices in the car which not just allow you to track the vehicle but also intimates you if it moves out of your set area.

A BHPian's thread on how GPS-tracking helped him recover his Scorpio inspires quite some confidence.

This thread should allow us to discuss GPS-tracking Ant-theft devices, the best ones and how to go about them.

LoJack is said to be one such really good system; unfortunately not available in India yet.

Anyone with any info or similar thoughts?

Neat thread idea.

Here is a discussion on how a stolen Mahindra Bolero was recovered using GPS-tracking : Bolero stolen, and RECOVERED. Also got screenshots :)

Even I am looking for a GPS-tracking device for my yet to be delivered SUV. I inquired in the market for the same and got following quotes -

MapmyIndia - 15000
AutoCop (Along with Central Locking & Immobiliser) - 16000

Confused now which one to buy.

One question that I have is do all the these tracking device rely on the GSM service or there are some pure GPS based devices also?

After my brother's Safari got stolen, we got fitted GPS tracking devices in all cars. Two Safaris, one Grande and one Swift. Features: Can locate car on Google maps, disable ignition through SMS, get location on SMS. Since it was a bulk deal, we got 8k per piece. The company, though, is an unknown entity (Hans Techno Systems), but trusted them because it has a tie up with the Noida police.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashutoshb (Post 2597491)
(Hans Techno Systems), but trusted them because it has a tie up with the Noida police.

Could you elaborate more on this please?

The company somehow has struck a deal with the district police. The Noida police SP held several meetings with the public on anti-theft measures, one was getting a GPS tracking device fitted. Cops promoting anti-theft devices is nothing new, Delhi police keeps giving print ads. In our case, when we had cops at our place the morning my brother's Safari got stolen, they recommended the device, told us how they have recovered several vehicles, which had GPS devices, with ease. They mentioned this company.

Just try T Cop available in Bangalore ...costs if you bargain for 9000 Rs for Gold top end version.No cutting of wires only crimping and it is based on GSM model.More details Connecting Mobile Assets With People

one should get one which doesnt have recurring cost. apart from gsm sim charges they charge portal and tracking charges which is not good.

Interesting and a very useful thread. I think GPS devices are going to be the next big thing in our Industry with the ever increasing car thefts. Toyota dealer was offering me a device from Atlanta company, model robo cop. Anyone heard about this? The price was 15k. Due to the lack of reviews and any kind of prior experience the idea was shelved.

There are any competing products available in India, including MMI and Micro VBB. I have been using the MMI product for some time (that just tracks the car and alerts you on its movements, based on your parameters), but I found that its SMS alert system doe snot often function properly negating the very purpose of having the system itself. It does not have any car deactivation features unlike say, Micro VBB and some others. Thieves today are quite smart and unless you camouflage the system (in my car, it is not, the GPS module and wiring is visible), it may not be difficult for them to shut it off.

Very useful thread. I was thinking of getting something similar for my bike. Anyone tried it on bikes?

how about GPS devices for Two wheelers?? Even Two Wheelers are very much prone to thefts !

GPS Bike Tracker,Bike Tracking Solution,Bike Tracking Systems,GPS Bike Device
This is something that i came across a few days back.

One can setup poor mans gprs anti theft device by using google latitude + 900Rs mobile:D

Gps security devices are getting popular, soon theifs would start carrying gps jammers :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitsecond (Post 2597743)
One can setup poor mans gprs anti theft device by using google latitude + 900Rs mobile

Gps security devices are getting popular, soon theifs would start carrying gps jammers :(

They already do carry GPS jammers. There is already a thread here on a Pajero theft, where it is mentioned the Mumbai police mentioning that even vehicles with GPS devices are stolen. GPS jammers cost less than GPS trackers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitsecond (Post 2597743)
One can setup poor mans gprs anti theft device by using google latitude + 900Rs mobile:D

More details? Sounds interesting.

Are you using it? Any feedback?