Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2006, 18:52   #31
BHPian

Swift Getz ratings seems to be pretty good at international level.

But when they launched these models in india they built it with a lower powered engine. I wonder that they might have reduced the quality of the other components too to reduce cost, to reduce weight.

Is there any government body which does the safety tests for the cars manufactured?
Old 23rd March 2006, 20:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Doesn't Singapore levy a very high tax on cars? If this is so, then I think the price in S'pore is no big deal and Honda sucks for short changing Indian consumers.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
exactly singapore is a different story altogether ...

Last edited by Fiero : 23rd March 2006 at 20:08.
Old 23rd March 2006, 21:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Is there any government body which does the safety tests for the cars manufactured?
ARAI

I happen to know that they do have some sort of crash tests.
Old 25th April 2006, 00:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

Aveo gets 2/5 for safety

my first reaction !!! i dont believe it but its true. and what a shame .... read on

BELGIUM: Chevrolet Aveo singled out in poor Euro NCAP tests
6 April 2006 Source: just-auto.com editorial team

In recent years, the increasing number of cars obtaining top marks for adult occupant protection in Euro NCAP’s tests has led some to demand the introduction of a new benchmark and a sixth star. However, results announced at the end of February by Euro NCAP prove that whilst some manufacturers are forging ahead in their safety development, others still have a long way to go. Of the six cars tested by Euro NCAP in this recent phase, only two achieved the top five star accolade for occupant protection in Europe’s leading independent crash tests.

The Chevrolet Aveo was singled out by Euro NCAP for the unacceptably high risk of life-threatening injury to the driver’s chest, which was highlighted by the frontal test.As a result, the car’s final star was struck through. Although the Aveo scored enough points overall to qualify for three stars, Euro NCAP insists on a minimum level of performance in each of the frontal and side impacts. While the Aveo’s performance in side impact was good, it did not score enough points in the frontal test to be given a three-star rating.

Yet, the Chevrolet was not the only car to come under Euro NCAP’s scrutiny. The Kia Cerato had poor results in the side impact tests with a high risk of injury to the driver’s chest. In contrast, the Peugeot 207 joins the growing list of superminis to be awarded the five-star Euro NCAP rating in adult occupant protection, proving that even the smallest of cars can be safe on European roads.

The Alfa Romeo 159 also received impressive results for its adult occupant protection with a five-star Euro NCAP rating. This is the first Alfa Romeo to have received five stars in Euro NCAP’s adult occupant protection test. More worrying were the Alfa Romeo’s pedestrian protection results: only a one-star rating.

Note from support team: Thread merged.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th April 2006 at 06:58.
Old 12th September 2007, 16:00   #35
aks316

check out this link.. this is the US NCAP Rating of Chevy aveo which is better than the euro ncap rating.. 2007 Chevrolet Aveo 4-DR. w/SAB NHTSA NCAP

Old 12th September 2007, 23:24   #36
BHPian

ok lets clear one thing,
the Aveo scored 4 stars in the US at the NHSTA and IIHS study. EURO NCAP has been sued by GM for this test. Crashing into a wall in the US or europe will have the same effect. What about the HC? It has not even been tested and half of the reinforcements found in the Jazz have been left out for India. but people still buy it in droves.
Old 13th September 2007, 12:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Of course, US NHTSA has a much better crash assessment program than Euro NCAP which is perhaps a European bureaucracy. But the US car industry's and consumers' most reliable assessment is the IIHS (Insurance Institute of Highway Safety) which has tougher standards than the NHTSA. IIHS (and NHTSA) data is used by the US insurance industry to set auto premiums. Their web site is definitely very informative. They also have crash test videos and commentary.

IIHS-HLDI: Crash Testing*&*Highway Safety

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks