Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2006, 08:42   #1
mxx
BHPian

Beware: Chevy Aveo and safety

According to "European New Car Assessment Programme" chevy aveo scores low in safety assessment.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/medi...phase_17b.html

Suprising, since it is one of the best selling small car from chevy even in europe and USA. And chevy keeps selling such stuff.
Old 15th March 2006, 08:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

I suggest that one shouldnt be mislead by news like that.Most Indians and Indianized cars too will fail safety test to some extend.
Old 15th March 2006, 09:08   #3
mxx
BHPian

think of it...

ofcourse i dont think indica, indigo, M800 etc would score a great score in such a test.
But when i pay 6lakhs+ for a small car, i expect atleast average safety.

FYI, swift scored 4 star rating in EuroNCAP rating.
And aveo costs more than that.
Old 15th March 2006, 09:17   #4
BHPian

Is there a place where we can compare safety features of cars in the Indian market?
Old 15th March 2006, 12:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Indica will probably pass the tests reasonably well. The swift has a good rating if i remeber right. The Baleno was not too great. Tata are the only ones with an in house crash test facility which they've benchmarked against european ones. And I've heard of enough people walk away with minor injuries from battered Indicas.

The M800 is a different story - no crumple zones (at least the earlier ones, i think) and no side impact beams. The Reva is much safer cause of its roll cage.

Last edited by zenx : 15th March 2006 at 12:46.
Old 15th March 2006, 13:09   #6
BHPian

i dont think the aveo will be behind most cars in india(in or around that price range) ... considering a car like a city zx vtec which u shell out 8.6 lac for does not have airbags and ABS/EBD ... it might do well in the crash test...i dont know bout that ... but safety features are NIL ... i wouldn't complain too much about the aveo
Old 15th March 2006, 13:26   #7
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero
i dont think the aveo will be behind most cars in india(in or around that price range) ... considering a car like a city zx vtec which u shell out 8.6 lac for does not have airbags and ABS/EBD ... it might do well in the crash test...i dont know bout that ... but safety features are NIL ... i wouldn't complain too much about the aveo
if the car is designed with good passive safety features, that itself (along with seatbelts) can bring down the number of fatal injuries to occupants. The active safety features like airbag, abs will decrease injuries further.
So the contruction of the car is more important than active safety features.

BTW, I wonder why honda does not offer ABS, airbag atleast as an option in vtec.
Old 15th March 2006, 13:51   #8
mxx
BHPian

>>"i dont think the aveo will be behind most cars in india"
>>"Most Indians and Indianized cars too will fail safety test to some extend."

I did not start this thread because i felt all cars in India except aveo were safe.

My purpose of this thread was
1)There is lot of hype recently on the launch of aveo, since it is GMs next biggest launch.
Many are considering this an option along with swift and getz. I was one of them, so i did a little bit of online research and found this. Personaly aveo is out of my options list cos safety is a concern for me. If anyone is considering aveo as one of his option, and safety is a concern, he should stay away from it.
They better go for Swift(4 star rating) or even getz(4 star ratings).

2)As i said in my first post, i was surprised that such a reputed brand was selling a car which has a below average safety rating. That too a car which had good sales in Europe and USA
Old 15th March 2006, 14:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc_cool
Is there a place where we can compare safety features of cars in the Indian market?
See here... http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/aug/23motoring.htm
Old 15th March 2006, 16:25   #10
BHPian

Hyundai Getz

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=1&id2=199

Suzuki Swift
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=1&id2=213

Suzuki Sx4 ( will launch in India later this year)

http://www.euroncap.com/images/resul...asheet%202.pdf

-The Getz is obtain an acceptable score but
the Swift's score is better.
-The Sx4 got one of the best score in Suv/Crossover.

Last edited by thainogkok : 15th March 2006 at 16:26.
Old 15th March 2006, 17:47   #11
BHPian

lets see the overall package ... if the inherent design of that car is not so good on safety you cant compare it with the swift ... but with additional features such as airbags you will be able to compensate to a certain extent for that , and 'with these features' it would still be safer than .. say an ikon or baleno lxi ... so the aveo wont be a complete disaster ... but competing with the swift ... life will be tough for GM
swift is ,afterall ,the first car below 7 lac in india which really has top notch design and safety features together ...

Last edited by Fiero : 15th March 2006 at 17:53.
Old 15th March 2006, 18:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

And ?

so what ?

So what it doesn't offer highest possible safety?
There are quite a few cars on Indian road already which have not so good crash test result. It will just be an addition to it.
Old 15th March 2006, 19:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero
considering a car like a city zx vtec which u shell out 8.6 lac for does not have airbags and ABS/EBD ...
Honda City in Singapore and Malaysia comes with ABS/EBD and airbags as standard equipment. It costs around SGD 60,000 (Around INR 15 Lakhs) in Singapore, So they might be providing them as standard equipment. But these are not even provided as optional equipment in Indian version.

Last edited by narasimha raju : 15th March 2006 at 19:20.
Old 15th March 2006, 20:25   #14
BHPian

All Cars In India Only Comply With Indian Standards

Hey Guys,

I agree that most of the cars in India would show poor results for safety according to world standards. The cars tested by the EURO NCAP are all mainly European Models and these models have got safety features like ABS/EBD as standard..... Even the Swift that was tested was euro model and the model in India doesnt feature things like side air bags (probably to cut th price down), which earn the car some valuable points.
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=1&id2=213 (Read through it and notice the way they mention the extra features; this goes for other cars as well)

So most cars bought in India (excluding fully loaded models) no where as good as their western counterparts, in terms of safety... and India has still got a long way to go to reach there. Even the top range models of sub Rs.10lac car and all cars over Rs.10lac have only a few improvements but not everything that is fitted in Europe/US etc.

I think the Aveo will not fail becouse of this, as many people still buy M800 or Alto despite them being a coffin on wheels and AVeo is much better than them.....

Thanx
redcandle

Last edited by redcandle : 15th March 2006 at 20:35.
Old 15th March 2006, 20:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
so what ?

So what it doesn't offer highest possible safety?
There are quite a few cars on Indian road already which have not so good crash test result. It will just be an addition to it.
very true . just another car

Most Viewed