Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 13:43   #1
BHPian

Tata Motors Recalls 1.45 Lakh Nanos

TATA MOTORS is going to recall the 1.45 lakh NANO cars to replace the Starter Motors. I hope that there will be no more news of the Nanos catching fire, once this replace is done.

Here is the news:

Quote:

Tata Motors has recalled 1.45 lakh units of the world’s cheapest car to replace the starter motor. The company claims that the recall is not due to any safety concern and is applicable to all Nano cars sold till date, except the 2012 Nano. The version 1 Nano will get the 2012 Nano’s starter motor. This is being done free of cost to the customers but will cost the company close to Rs. 100 crore. Earlier on problems with the starter motor were reported by customers on several instances. Now Tata Motors has corrected this issue with the 2012 edition of the car and has taken corrective action for the same on old Nano cars. Recall fever seems to have struck the Indian automobile market.
Source: Tata Motors Recalls 1.45 Lakh Nanos

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 26th December 2011 at 13:47.
Old 26th December 2011, 14:08   #2
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Motors Recalls 1.45 Lakh Nanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
TATA MOTORS is going to recall the 1.45 lakh NANO cars to replace the Starter Motors. I hope that there will be no more news of the Nanos catching fire, once this replace is done.
I doubt, the Nanos catching fire issue was related to the starter motor. All the cars that caught fire were running at the time of the incidence and not being started.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 14:09   #3
BHPian

If this is true, I welcome it whole heartedly. This shows their commitment to the Nano customers. I like the fact that they acknowledge that's there's a problem and they will fix it. This shows that they are sincere, mature and thinking about the customer's of the Nano.

Cheers
Pratim
pratim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 14:19   #4
BHPian

A bold move from Tata Motors this will bring more positiveness for current Nano customers if at all they take this on a positive note.

Hope that Tata will come up with such recalls for their other products as well if there is a genuine issue to be looked after, for customers this will definitely built more confidence towards Tata Brand.
Old 26th December 2011, 14:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

From where did you get this starter motor to fire connection. The incidence of fire was attended in earlier recall wherein a shield was provided to prevent electric cables catching fire due to silencer heat.
Old 26th December 2011, 14:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is old news and my Nano has already been done with the change. The solenoid of the starter motors was known to fail prematurely. Apart from this, the wiring kit along with the motor were being upgraded for increased load.

But great effort from TML to offer this to existing owners especially that the concerned vehicle is the world's cheapest car with lowest margins.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 14:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I doubt, the Nanos catching fire issue was related to the starter motor. All the cars that caught fire were running at the time of the incidence and not being started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
From where did you get this starter motor to fire connection. The incidence of fire was attended in earlier recall wherein a shield was provided to prevent electric cables catching fire due to silencer heat.
That was a typo done in a hurry. By the way, there have been so many incidents of Nano catching fire in the recent past that I almost skipped the part name (Starter Motor) which is being replaced by the Tata Motors.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 15:07   #8
BHPian

One of my friends too got his Nano's starter motor changed free of cost in the last service. The TASS mentioned it's to better manage the load on the car and for longetivity. My friend has never had any issues with his Nano and has now completed 17k Kms on it.

Nevertheless, it's a nice move by the company and shows its care for people.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

Wasn't the starter motor replaced for a bunch of Nanos replaced earlier too?

Or that was done based on complaints and this one is an official recall.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:48   #10
BANNED

Had seen this on money control site and was about to post on the nano thread when I stumbled upon this.

To be fair to TMl, the starter motors are sourced, IIRC, from Lucas, the leaders in this field.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 15:57   #11
BHPian

Is it true? Like MileCruncher, my Nano also got a free starter motor replacement in October this year. What I dread is not the starter motor change, but having to deal with the service centre guys!
Old 26th December 2011, 16:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

On one hand, it's good that Tata's ironing out issues like these. Wonder what is going to happen to the supplier of the said parts.

On the other hand, though, the Nano already suffers from sluggish sales to begin with. Just when they were trying to induce some life into it with the 2012 Nano campaign, a recall of 1.45 lack vehicles is baaaaaaaaaddd news. I'm sure that after the inferno Nanos (InferNanos? ), any more talk of a reliability or quality issue is going to pull the Nano even further down in the market.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 18:21   #13
BHPian

Indian automobile market is maturing. People are not viewing recalls negatively. It is good that Tata has taken the recall plunge and joined the likes of Honda and Toyota. This is a welcome move from Tata and reflects the good old Tata values that we were used to.

Nano is a fantastic car - without all the initial glitches. I hope Nano does not have any more glitches after this starter motor replacment. Tata should start promoting Nano on its true strengths (easy to maneuver, fuel economy, spacious inside for such a small car, ideal city car etc.) and stop promoting it as a cheap car.
Old 26th December 2011, 18:36   #14
BHPian

True, Nano is a very good car and value for money in many aspects.

Unfortunately, we have a few technical experts & people [general public] forms negative impression on "recalls" that makes it tough for novice to take decision and its mostly against Indian Auto Manufacturers.

Above such comments sound to me like "If its a Japanese or German brand recall for Brake issue [example], it shows the good gesture. If the similar recall is done by TATA or M&M, it shows the quality issue".
Absolutely a non-sense comment to me.

Lets think more matured before making such a comment please.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 20:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent decision from Tata. So 2 major recalls in a week surprisingly both from T and T. This is but a clear indication of car makers developing a sense of responsibility and also confidence that the car's perception doesn't take a hit in recalls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks