Team-BHP - Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/113217-cars-2012-could-turn-competitiveness-up-notch.html)

Hello All,

2012 is a year to look ahead for in the Indian automotive industry. The new car line-up promises a lot of goodies, especially in the 4-8 lakh range; this should definitely make decision-making a new hobby for the prospective car buyers.

The following is the list of cars of 2012 which I feel would increase the competitiveness in the most sought after category - the 4-8 lakh cars. (All images courtesy AutocarIndia.com)

1.The Manza CS
Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch!-manza-cs.jpg
A sub-4m variant of the popular Manza minus the extra excise duty - that would give us a sedan at an expected price of 5-6 lakhs ex-showroom. I would say that is a deal anyone should take.

2. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch!-ertiga.jpg
A 7 seater from Suzuki with the VGT DDis engine and the new K14 engine at an estimated ex-showroom price of 6-9 lakhs. This combined with the strong after-sales of Suzuki should be a sureshot deal maker.

3. Suzuki Dzire CS
Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch!-dzire.jpg
The most affordable and trusted sedan becomes more affordable yet - a full 30k savings on the ex-showroom price should make it even more enticing to the entry-level sedan lovers. Pricing should be head-on against the Manza CS to eliminate competition

4. M&M Xylo Mini
Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch!-xylo-mini.jpg
A 5-seater MUV with an 1.5l diesel engine and an expected ex-showroom price tag of 4-5 lakhs - Can it get any more enticing?
I would say that this car could be a killer for most hatchbacks in the 4-5 lakh range if it is marketed properly. This is one I look forward to the most - Go M&M!

5. M&M Verito CS
Name:  Verito.jpg
Views: 6890
Size:  29.4 KB
The trusted & frugal Verito becomes more affordable duty the excise cut the boot-chop will get it; expected to be in the 4.5 to 5.5 lakh range. Though it will be a better car compared to Manza CS or the Dzire CS, I'm not sure if it could make numbers outside the taxi companies. M&M seriously needs to work on the re-positioning!!

6. HM Ambassador CS
Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch!-amby.jpg
You may think I am crazy, but there is a reason that I have included the grand-dad of all Indian cars in this list. At a ex-showroom price of 4.5 to 5 lakh, combined with a 1.5l diesel engine, I seriously wish that the Amby saves the other CS cars mentioned in this list from becoming prospective taxis please:

7. Ford Ecosport
Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch!-ecosport.jpg
A sub-4m SUV from FORD at a 6-7.5 lakh price tag sounds delicious. This car would feature the Figo's petrol engine (I hope it delivers more power else we would have M800s racing this one) and the Fiesta's diesel engine. This 5 seater car should satisfy all the SUV enthusiasts who are stuck with hatchbacks and entry-level sedans.

8. Maruti Suzuki New M800
Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch!-m800.jpg
Though this car does not fall in the 4-8 lakh bracket, I have included it in this list just for the fact that it will redefine the entry level segment. Expected to be priced at below 2 lakh level, we are looking at a Nano-killer (not space-wise for sure!). Also, this should be a baby-killer (The Eon!)

Note: I have consciously excluded the Ford Fiesta hatch, the Chevy Sail twins, Renault Pulse, Skoda Fabia Scout and the Fiat Punto 2012 as I feel that these would make just little to no impact in this segment.

Looking forward to a wonderful 2012!!clap:

There are also talks of a hybrid Manza which if launched could be a segment-first in India. But pricing surely would play a major role.

I am looking forward to the eco.

one thing though.
Is it just me, or do ALL of the CSs above look 10 times better than the parent?

The buzz-word this year, and for a few years to come, will be COMPACT.

Everything is CS this and CS that. And in my honest opinion, it's a great way to go. Although I've condemned hatchbacks with retrofitted boots, it seems to work in India, and as long as they get it right, I'm okay with it.

This buzz-word 'compact', seems to be catching on everywhere. People are beginning to realize that smaller the foot-print of your car, the more efficient it will invariably be. Not only will it be fuel-efficient, it should be good to drive and not be a hassle in city-traffic.

So we have compact SUVs/Crossovers, compact-Sedans and compact-MPVs.

Now the only thing left to do is watch our belly-lines (how else are we going to fit in all that compactness? :D) and prepare ourselves for the recession that will loom large soon.

Sorry for ending on that 'buzz-kill' of a note. ;)

Maybe, we can include Renault Duster too. Will definitely be a good competitor in Mini SUV segment if priced right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 2624646)

I am thinking on the same lines.lol: 2012 is going to be the best time for buying the first car for people like me.

The success of CS versions will critically depend upon the diesel versions. I don't think any of these cars will have their petrol version doing good business thanks to the regulatory norms (1.2 litre engines propelling these relatively big cars won't be an exciting proposition anyway).
It will be interesting to see how the entry level sedans compete with premium hatches like i20,Polo and Jazz.

I am not very sure about Ertiga's success unless Suzuki prices it very competitively.
From dimensions it doesnt look like a very spacious car, it might not have the ruggedness (typical of most MUVs) as well !
For 8 lakhs, I would spend some more money and get a Scorpio or Innova base model.
For 6.5-7 lakhs,I will give Ertiga a look.

Price will matter the most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dheepak10 (Post 2624323)
2012 is a year to look ahead for in the Indian automotive industry. The new car line-up promises a lot of goodies, especially in the 4-8 lakh range; Note: I have consciously excluded the Ford Fiesta hatch, ...and the Fiat Punto 2012 as I feel that these would make just little to no impact in this segment.

2012 - Year of CSs ! :) But then this will surely heat up the market place with lot more affordable options!

I don't think there is any 2012 Punto coming -either in expo or in real.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fx45 (Post 2624599)
There are also talks of a hybrid Manza which if launched could be a segment-first in India. But pricing surely would play a major role.

Only the concept will be revealed. Hormazd tweeted that production is years [at-least 2] away. So there will be no price announcement either, I think!

Edit:: Just remembered there might be a new Punto with higher GC, newer color or so coming.

I am sorry but I dont think Xylo Mini has the fire power to kill the hatchback market. Its too tall and too narrow and combine that with a smaller wheelbase and you have a perfect recipe for a rolly polly. Its not even good looking.
Ford Ecosport is kinda perfect of Ford is able to get the pricing right.

We're all forgetting the Renault Duster. The world's most affordable SUV that almost everyone expects to be placed in the 7-9L bracket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dheepak10 (Post 2624323)
7. Ford Ecosport
Attachment 861159
A sub-4m SUV from FORD at a 6-7.5 lakh price tag sounds delicious.

I dont think they will price this. It will eat into the figo sales. Also consider ford's historical stupid pricing for all the models, its just a speculation to expect this price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subscrive (Post 2624784)
I dont think they will price this. It will eat into the figo sales. Also consider ford's historical stupid pricing for all the models, its just a speculation to expect this price.

yes exactly. even skoda yeti costs more than the cheapest laura .so how can one expect ecosport to cost less than the fiesta which touches 10 lacs on road? chances are ecosport could end up competing with the xuv5oo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbokick (Post 2624705)
I am not very sure about Ertiga's success unless Suzuki prices it very competitively.
From dimensions it doesnt look like a very spacious car, it might not have the ruggedness (typical of most MUVs) as well !
For 8 lakhs, I would spend some more money and get a Scorpio or Innova base model.
For 6.5-7 lakhs,I will give Ertiga a look.

Price will matter the most.

I'd rather look at Ertiga as an alternative to a sedan or a station wagon. So if I want to buy a compact sedan (e.g., SX4, Vento, Linea) and if Ertiga is priced similarly with similar features, why not? It can seat 5 people and can carry as much luggage as a sedan can.

Scorpio/Innova can never give the kind of fuel efficiency a car like Ertiga will give, and are meant to cater for different needs.

Quote:

I am looking forward to the eco.

one thing though.

Mayank, completely agree with you. The CS' look much better. It seems to have done wonders for the manza and the verito. Oh, even the desire looks presentable in its CS version.

Eagerly waiting on the Ecosport too. But I hope they don't are not influenced by the new fiesta pricing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohanjf (Post 2624832)
I'd rather look at Ertiga as an alternative to a sedan or a station wagon. So if I want to buy a compact sedan (e.g., SX4, Vento, Linea) and if Ertiga is priced similarly with similar features, why not? It can seat 5 people and can carry as much luggage as a sedan can.

Scorpio/Innova can never give the kind of fuel efficiency a car like Ertiga will give, and are meant to cater for different needs.

Its very unlikely that Maruti will price the Ertiga at par with Dzire CS. Standard Dzire DDiS already ranges in between 7-8.5 lakhs and even if is priced at slight premium,expect the mid model diesel Ertiga to cost 8.5 lakhs itself.
It is hopeless to expect the cheaper(should be) Petrol version to sell well.
Certainly not a desirable alternate to Sedans (style,snob,drive) nor a very practical alternate to MUVs (space,torque,ruggedness) unless Suzuki goes for a killer price tag. (Which is again unlikely ,going by new Swift's pricing)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fx45 (Post 2624599)

Ideally TATA should be the next Maruti in the Indian Market; unfortunately they are into a lot of other things that they aren't quite sure where they want to be :)

Quote:

Well in fact, they all do - especially the Manza CS, it does look more elegant.